PDA

View Full Version : Loss of rear brakes. How do I fix this....?

onelogue
09-03-2009, 06:13 AM
Going down the highway I instantly lost brake pressure. I looked down and say this part broke. What is it and can I fix it myself if I get the part? Thanks guys!!

Picture is of the disconnect part under the seat and the broken part on top of the brake pedal assembly.
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3100_20090902230930_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3100_20090902230950_L.jpg

Buellysses
09-03-2009, 02:47 PM
The part you have in your hand is the brake switch. Well, half of it anyway. ;) (page 2-36 in the 2005 firebolt manual)

All-in-all it looks like a pretty simple part swap. Unscrew the old part, screw in the new one, bleed the system, ride on.

onelogue
09-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks Buellysses, I thought it would be easy, just making sure.

[up]

Buellysses
09-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Not a problem. I love this form, gives me something to do when I'm at work. ;)

onelogue
09-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Ok so I replaced the brake switch and tried bleeding the system to gain pressure but nothing. The brake light wont even light up when I put the rear brake lever. And the brake fluid isn't being pushed through the system.

Can someone give directions on how to properly bleed the brakes, just in cause I am doing that wrong.

Thanks, RJ

onelogue
09-07-2009, 12:20 AM
bump

Buellysses
09-07-2009, 12:21 AM
Well for starters, the brake light is a pressure switch... no pressure build up no brake light.

The proper way to do it.. (well, the way I do it anyway)

-fill the reservoir with fluid
-pump the brakes a few times
-hold the brake down and crack the bleeder
-tighten the bleeder BEFORE you let up on the brake pedal
-repeat until you have all the air out (able to build proper pressure)

Make sure you keep an eye on the fluid in the reservoir.

There are vacuum bleeders out there that work pretty well, the local auto parts store could hook you up with that.

onelogue
09-07-2009, 12:35 AM
Buellysses you are getting major rep points from me hahaha [up]

K so I obviously have no pressure. My brother and I tried bleeding it but no fluid went through.
-I cracked it open he pushed down but no fluid left the resevoir. Almost like there is a leak in the line idk. How many pumps 'til the fluid starts sucking through the system?

-Is it the fact that I am cracking it then having him put down matter? Cause you listed it having him push down first.

Buellysses
09-07-2009, 04:08 AM
Generally you would pump it to push as much fluid into the line as possible. But realistically if you just push down, crack the bleeder, then tighten it before you let up on the pedal you are accomplishing the same thing. The key is to build up pressure before you crack the bleeder to keep air from getting back into the system.

Check this out (http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mastercylinderreplace/howworks.html)

It gives you an idea of how a car master cylinder works... your bike is quite similar, except it only has one "circuit" in it.

When you crack the bleeder do you hear anything coming out? Air or otherwise? You may have a plugged bleeder. Pull it out and try to blow through it.

Keep in mind also that the brake system isn't moving a whole lot of fluid, maybe 1 or 2 CCs per stroke (purely a guess, but it's not much). It will take you at least 15 cycles (pump, bleed, close) to get the air out.

Buellysses
09-07-2009, 04:11 AM
PS, take a look at page 1-19 of the service manual that you can download here (http://www.buellxb.com/specs.php).

onelogue
09-07-2009, 05:54 AM
When you crack the bleeder do you hear anything coming out?Â* Air or otherwise?Â* You may have a plugged bleeder.Â* Pull it out and try to blow through it.

Yeah the line farts so I hear the air coming out hahah, the line spits but the reservoir doesn't seem to empty. So I don't think the bleeder is plugged.

Keep in mind also that the brake system isn't moving a whole lot of fluid, maybe 1 or 2 CCs per stroke (purely a guess, but it's not much).

Tomorrow morning I'll try a lot more cycles to see if I can get the air out. And I'll pump it a few times to try and build pressure before I crack the bleeder.

Buellysses
09-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Did you get it sorted out?