PDA

View Full Version : charging sys check for dummies

chiligrease
09-03-2009, 01:21 PM
replaced 2 of 3 relays[still need the 3prong relay], checked all fuses. bike will run about 30mins before the gauges die, the bike sputters and is running on what i assume is battery power only and eventually shuts down.

03 xb9r trouble shoots to date:
new battery[may 09], plugs, fuses and relays.

Have the service manual and performed a regulator check according to the book but not sure i did it correctly. checked the connector from regulator [seemed clean]. cant figure this fkr out. any suggestion on an easy way to check the charging sys [reg, stator etc.] would be incredibly helpful.

Buellysses
09-03-2009, 02:30 PM
What leads you to believe you did the regulator check wrong? What were your results?

If you put a volt meter across the battery and start the bike you should see the voltage jump up to about 13.5-14 volts. If the voltage doesn't go up you have an issue with the charging system.

As far as an easier way to determine if its the regulator or stator, I've got nothin.

ophawk
09-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Buellysses, that's partly right.
If the battery is fried(has a dead cell) the battery may be sucking all of the juice from the charging system.

Chili, make sure the battery is charged up, or able to start from a booster,
Disconnect the 2 prong connector from the regulator, then start the bike, test each lead in the connector from the reg, one is ground, the other is positive, and should show the 13+ volts, while the bike is running at idle.
Hope that helps.
Dale

ophawk
09-03-2009, 06:08 PM
If it don't then the reg is fried.
to test the stator, that is the three wire connector, and can be tested on the AC side of a meter should be around 15-20+ volts between each pair of terminals.
Later

ophawk
09-03-2009, 06:12 PM
forgot to mention, the connector from the stator not the reg for that test, also do a continuity test on these leads to test for a ground or short, while the bike is off.

Buellysses
09-03-2009, 06:13 PM
You're absolutely right hawk, just didn't seem like that was the case from his description.

ophawk
09-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Buelly, after having just gone through this with my beast I figure he has a similar situation to what happened with me.

New battery, then the bike sits for a while or doesn't fully charge the battery during the short trips, charge it up(over Charge it) that cooks the battery, then the reg tries to charge the battery, and cooks itself, which leads to jump starting, charging the battery up, just to have it die shortly after.

BTW I did get the 3-phase conversion done on mine just have to post up the pics and the write-up for the change-over.

Later

chiligrease
09-03-2009, 07:42 PM
gents, thanks for the info, will work on this tonight. with any luck i'll get to put some miles on this fawker before the snow hits!

thanks again

chiligrease
09-03-2009, 10:58 PM
results from testing the stator and regulator:
stator: 0 voltage, continuity=0
reg: 3 volts dc, continuity=0

the results seem very obvious, is there any advantage to replace the reg first to just do both and press on?

thanks again for your help, this forum is quite the knowledge base, will buy you a beer or two if/when we meet.

chili

ophawk
09-04-2009, 03:14 AM
I just reviewed my post,
Did you do the voltage test on the stator while the bike was running? Just to clarify.
Their have been some issues with the stators, but they are a PITA to change, so I would make sure that is the issue,'cause you don't want to get into the primary case if you don't have to. Buell in fact changed to a single phase stators/regulators due to failures.
So if the stator is not grounded on any of the three leads, and shows continuity between each pair, lead 1-2, 1-3, 2-3, with the bike off, and AC voltage 15-20+ between each pair with the bike running 1000-2000rpm, then the issue is other than the stator, and with the 3vdc output I would put my money on a dead reg.
I hope that tied my previous posts together.
Dale

chiligrease
09-04-2009, 09:00 PM
ophawk, the tests were conducted w/bike running and while off. i really don't want to crack the primary either. may swap out reg first.

thanks for the follow up

chili

quadracer711
09-28-2011, 02:38 PM
i have the same promblem. but im getting reading from my sator so i no it my voltage reg. i think if u replace stator u gotta replace voltge reg so give it a shot wont hurt nothing