PDA

View Full Version : New XB12R owner here

FerrisBueller
12-13-2006, 01:31 AM
I just purchased a new 07 Firebolt XB12R. I love this bike! I cant understand why so many people make fun of buells. After I got the suspension dialed in to my weight i couldn't believe how great the bike handles (although in my opinion it needs a steering damper). Compared to my old bike (06 katana 600) this thing is a rocket, I love the power rises. Other than the hard seats (my wife's only complaint) occasional head shaking and a cold blooded motor this bike is perfect. And yet so many people tell me how I wasted my money and I should have bought a (insert jap crotch rocket here).

This makes me want to ask the question what kind of person buys a buell? I'm a 22 year old married HVAC field manager. I consider myself to be a novice rider. I do a lot of twisty back road riding and other than the occasional wheelie I think that stunting is retarded. Lol maybe that's why I'm probably the youngest buell owner on here. But enough about me what kind of rider are you and why did you choose to buy a buell?

maybebuell
12-13-2006, 01:50 AM
good luck with the bike FERRIS..I'm 50 years old been on and still on Harley strokers running 120 hp and 127 tq...love hitting the highway and seeing the shock on the jap riders faces when i pull away hard....now I'm after a buell just because i think its the coolest looking bike out there...i WANT SOMETHINK that is few and far between and still be on a v twin...let your buddys buy the jap bikes..you riding something that has class...your happy with the power so far in its stock form

BuellPartsGuy
12-13-2006, 01:59 AM
I have a 03 XB9R and love it. I like that fact that I can pull into the bike shows down here and not see a dozen of my exact bike. Plus, as we all know, Jap bikes are like tampons, every pussy has one. It takes a real rider to handle this torque.

And Ferris, I am 22 and ride the hell outta my Buell too, so your not alone. I love carry the front end and show those Jap bike guys up whenever conditions permit, but yeah a steering stabilizer is a must on these things no matter how you ride. I would never ride another one without it. I have a Storz steering stabilizer, but there are others out there too.

buellxb
12-13-2006, 02:12 AM
Wow, Ferrisbueller. Ha, that's the most creative name yet. You'll like your Buell. I like them because I don't see them too often. Buells have so much unique engineering that they're almost as fun to talk about as they are to ride. Other reasons I bought the bike...
Made in USA
Smaller frame and seat height, I'm 5' 7"
Lower center of gravity
Big engine (XB12)
You don't have to go 80mph+ for a rush
Sexiest naked sport bike (Ducati Monster is a close second)
BTW I'm 25 years old

FerrisBueller
12-13-2006, 02:31 AM
I dont feel so out of place now...lol It just seems that most people my age wouldnt be caught dead on buell.

2Evil4U
12-13-2006, 06:48 PM
Steering damper-wise, I've heard that if you swap out the stock Dunlops for some decent tires, Pirellis or Michelins, the head shake is much improved.

BuellPartsGuy
12-13-2006, 07:29 PM
Yeah the head shake goes away with a better set of tires and if you torque your head stem bearings a little tighter than the stock setting. The new torque is 42 ft/lbs.

FerrisBueller
12-13-2006, 11:37 PM
the 07 has pirelli diablo T tires from the factory

BuellPartsGuy
12-14-2006, 12:41 AM
Yup and the older Buells came with the junk Dunlop 208's

azxb9r
02-04-2007, 02:39 AM
Well I am 21 and I just bought a 2005 xb9r. Actually I am waiting for it to show up in az from cali. I am glad I found this forum cuz I know I will have alotta questions. Had a cruiser, had a crotch rocket love the buell.

BuellPartsGuy
02-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Where is AZ are you azxb9r???

azxb9r
02-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Eastern Az. A very small podunk town. There isnt a buell that I know of within 100 miles of here.

BuellPartsGuy
02-04-2007, 06:20 PM
lol I bet, I am in phoenix....

azxb9r
02-04-2007, 09:51 PM
O yeah? I have been looking everywhere to find one and had to go outta state for a decent price and a decent bike. Itll be here tomorrow I cant wait.

BuellPartsGuy
02-05-2007, 12:36 AM
what color did you end up buying?

azxb9r
02-05-2007, 01:23 AM
Yellow. I wanted black but I got a smoking deal on it and I got a buddy who paints bikes so I am gonna do some stuff with it later on. It is really clean though just needs rubber.

PlayWithGravity
02-05-2007, 12:14 PM
Hey Forum: I'm 37 and ride a black XB12R. Like most of the posts so far, I love the Buell for the power, handling, and certaily the style :) I've spent time on some other twins sport bikes but really like the Buell. It took me a while to get used to it, in fact, I almost sold it. But after a month or so the ergos grew on me, as did the funky exhaust note, short power band, etc. Awesome ride!! Glad I stuck with it because I'd have regreted a premature sale!

buellxb
02-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Yeah, you have to get use to a Buell. The small frame and the engine can be a big change from most import bikes. Any sport bike is a change from a cruiser.

azxb9r
02-07-2007, 02:10 AM
I just got my bike today!! It took alotta work but its in my garage now so I cant complain. Its even more amazing than I had hoped. I m hooked!!

bahamasair
02-08-2007, 02:58 AM
I got mine when I ran into a friend who offered it to me for dirt cheap. Id never seen a firebolt before that and love it already. Mine is a 2003 and is like riding a bicycle. Ive had alot of fast bikes before and none handled like the Buell. Im not impressed with the power especially but dont see myself getting rid of it any time soon. I find myself at 135-140 looking for an extra gear and almost twisitng the throttle off trying to get some more speed out of her but always feel in control, Unlike some of the other bikes Ive had.
Also what other bike can you just sit and look at for hours just checking out all the 1 off design features. I love the gas tank in the frame, oil in the swing arm and the front brake disk gives me wood. My best friend has a TL1000 and trys to buy my Buell every time we go riding :)

BuellXB9SA
02-08-2007, 08:20 AM
Well i got my buell when i was 19 and if they bring out a 6 speed box version i will stay with buell i think for life. i love it for the moring traffic run. but it lacks a bit on the open road or on the track just cant get enough speed down the straights. well so now at 22 going on 23 i am looking at replacing my XB9R with the XB12r cherry. but i really would love for the 6th gear.

BuellPartsGuy
02-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Its coming......;)

azxb9r
02-10-2007, 06:02 PM
It does kinda lack in the top end but it feels incredibly smooth through exceleration and in the turns. I did notice a little speed warble at around 80 90 but that was with semis on all sides. But all in all it keeps up with everything else Ive come across and sounds soooo gnarly passing by.

hooter13
02-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Hay azxb9r, if you really want to see what that xb was made for, come to Tucson and ride Mt Lemmon with me sometime. I am on my second xb9r. After I sold my first one I always regretted it, so I bought another one even though I have two Ducati's. (996SPS/749S). Buell's are as easy and fun to work on as they are to ride. No valves to adjust, no chains to lube and and adjust. Just change the oil and tires and go. Something people overlook when shopping for a bike.

buellxb
02-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Almost that simple. I need to get my TPS reset and there's no dealer anywhere near me. The local HD dealer refuses to buy the chip to reset my TPS. Couldn't Buell just give us an onboard CPU with a reset button?????

hooter13
02-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Americansportbike.com has two software programs that will reset the TPS and more. It's an easy job if you can run a computer. I got the Direct-link unit. The cheaper unit does not do as much but is about half the price and is a good choise for basic adjustments. I will use the direct-link to dyno tune the bike.

azxb9r
02-12-2007, 02:28 AM
I definately will be headed that way soon. I am just bout n hour and a half away. Have you ever ridden mt graham?? That is one crazy ride too. V.W. uses it for test runs on new cars. I have to get used to it a lil before I start pushing it but it is surprisingly easy to learn to ride.

wayne
02-16-2007, 03:27 AM
hey i got a xb12 05 and live in australia just wondering if the dealers are very accomidating to buell owners? they are terible here if they dont have a part it will take 4 weeks to get and if i have a problem know one knows what it wrong. i have had to work on my own bikes and learn from my mistakes. or my wollet would be empty by now..

BuellXB9SA
02-16-2007, 03:57 AM
I found the same thing in South Africa. parts take for ever to arrive in this country and the services are really pricey. My bike is out of service for 4 weeks now well i wait for parts again.. I now have t sit in the car to get to work. i hate it. i want my bike man. [mad]

bradbolt
02-19-2007, 01:02 AM
i have an 05 black XB12R...removed the mirrors and put on bar ends, removed the front and rear reflectors, removed the warning stickers on the frame and swingarm, took the reflector below the rear tag off and trimmed off the tag bracket edges with a grinder to clean up the rear end...and by far the best mod ever was a "Drummer" pipe, the sound of the bike is unlike anything i have ever heard. other Buell riders can't believe the growl my bike has compared to theirs (louder than most Harleys).

btw...i am 36 and this is the fifth street bike i have owned, and i will never ride anything other than a Buell. Funnest bike ever.

oh, and my wife doesn't mind riding because i also bought the Buell passenger touring seat and she likes riding with me now.

BuellPartsGuy
02-19-2007, 03:26 AM
check out my licence plate relocate/undertail post. That really cleans up the tail of the Firebolts

GMAN
02-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Its a really funny question,im 25 years old,and i come from a n R6 japo,and onestly its lovely the sprint from 8.000 revs upwords,buuuut im not a racer,and on the streets its really kind of stressy having to pull UP over 8000,because its dead bike under them,and i really love to enjoy my rides,im really not behind speed,i want fun fun fun and confort which is almost "0" on radical spot bikes,so i think its a lovely bike,i really got amazed when i first tried out the XB12s,a have tested a few super sport bikes before,R1 (few models till the last one) Hayabusas,and CBRs,and non gives you that fun,it makes you come a bit closer to death at 300kmts per hour...thats all..

AZBuellGuy
02-28-2007, 02:27 AM
New here. I have a 2007 XB12R, yellow. Installed a Jardine slip on and it doesn't sound like a sewing machine any more. Also K&N filter, slightly taller wind screen by Zero Gravity, Buell custom seat (much better) and lower pegs. I'm 52 years old.

BuellPartsGuy
02-28-2007, 06:45 AM
Where at in AZ you from AZBuellGuy

buellxb
02-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Welcome AZ-Buell-Guy! I bet you don't feel 52 when you're tear'n up the road in you Buell XB12R [up] [cool]

maybebuell
02-28-2007, 09:48 PM
azbuellguy..what other bikes have you owned....like the idea of lower pegs...im 50 you old **** and been playing with the idea of a buell..like to here some more feed backs of other bikes you owned....did you have to remap with filter and pipe change

maybebuell
03-03-2007, 11:50 PM
another one post wonder rides into the sunset

Junkie
03-04-2007, 12:31 AM
Bradbolt - I want to pull the front and rear reflectors also. How do you pull take them off and does it look okay underneath? I did the rearend stuff.

BTW Forum -
I am 43 years old and love my XB9R. The race kit and exhaust let's you be heard as you fly by.
The Michelin Pilot Powers are a great improvement.

hottoddy69
03-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Ok, I live in Saint Paul, MN. I just biught my '07 Black Firebolt. I have yet to put any miles on her.
I think I got a great deal: $9250.00 plus $50 for docs. I am in the military and have a residence in Montana, I was able to take advantage on the lack of a sales tax. $9300.00 Has anyone received a better deal?

TheStuffJMI
04-19-2007, 02:14 AM
Anyone around the Hagerstown Maryland area? I have an 07 XB12R and haven't found a single person around here that has a Buell. I want to meet some people and go riding with some of our own Buell class.
Thanks,
Justin

rtmarsh
04-25-2007, 07:27 AM
I just boght a Buell Firebolt XB12R. I am 20. the reason that i got it is because I am all about 0-60. Also it is made in America!!!

xb12Rider
04-26-2007, 01:03 AM
I waited like forever to ride a buell I'm 37 served my country and believe I am some what of a patriot.I even learned to ride on my xb12r,they say once you learn how to ride on a buell you learn how to RIDE a buell.btw the sexiest thing this side of a saleen S7 [cool]and made right in the good old U.S. of A.

Unekride
05-05-2007, 02:42 AM
I like, ride a Buell, like, it is cool, like,. Get your GED!!!

Red Buell
05-08-2007, 03:40 PM
I'm a new Buell rider and happy to have found this site. I went to the local H-D dealer 2 weeks ago to look at a Softail Standard for my retirement present. In the back of the showroom in the used section, I spotted a red 04 XB12R and went over to have a look. The bike belonged to one of the owners and he came out of his office to give me some details. He said , "If you take if for a ride, you will want to take it home!" I agonized over the decision between the new Softail and the 04 Firebolt. In the end, the owner was right. I've had lots of bikes during my 51 years of life, starting out with mini-bikes and dirt bikes before being able to drive legally on the street. This bike reminds me of a 92 CBR400RR I had in Tokyo. Extremely nimble and handled like nothing else. Of course, the Buell has a ton of torque as well to complement the superb handling.

burgsbike
05-14-2007, 10:24 PM
OK every-one here's my first post to add to the rest. I'm 52 and I saw the 04 XB12 at a stop light when it was new and being ridden by some-one else. When I asked from the seat of my 81 FXS the guy riding it said that He wouldn't trade it for anything. Well I still have the 81 and a 04 XB12R that I'm riding the wheels off of and I love it. I had a '70's Honda that we built into a cafe racer with a big bore kit but if I could have shortened the wheebase to 52" (I think) It might have been as much fun and I still would be pushing it thru the turns.
Thanks for the time,
Mike

T

BlackBolt12
05-27-2007, 03:04 PM
I just got my black 2007 Firebolt XB12R. It would be nice to meet some other people in the area with Buells. I'm 24 and most of my friends are riding GSXr's and R6's so if there's anyone in Southern PA who wants to ride, let me know

mrdozer2you
05-28-2007, 01:28 PM
I'll ride with you. I'm in Michigan, maybe we'll meet somewhere in the middle. A nice trip through the hills would be sweet [up]

midlifecrisis
06-15-2007, 08:02 PM
I'm 40 years old with a wife and seven children. Used to be a machinist but I've been in retail management for over eight years now. After over a decade w/out a bike, my wife suggested I buy one. I bought a 2000 XL1200C last summer but it didn't cut it by springtime. My riding season has always been 12 months long (New Jersey just need to dress for the weather). I researched all sportbikes and for many reasons decided to demo a Firebolt. Fuggedaboutit! I don't need a Jap bikes powerband I ride on real roads. I want low to midrange torque and this things got gobs of it. It handles better than anything short of a Moto GP bike and that's what I want. I've had her to 120 MPH and I've taken the front wheel up on occasion and I can't say I've ever had a problem with any headshake. Also, the European Magazines are much friendlier to Buells. The American mags are just so anti Harley they can't give credit where it's due.
So at 40 years old with well over 40K miles in the wind I went with the Firebolt and I'm VERY happy with it. Erik Buell's vision deserves recognition and the best way to show it is to buy and ride his creations.

link
06-16-2007, 09:46 AM
I have wanted a Buell since I first saw the old cyclones back around 1996. (before I could even drive). After 10 years of wanting I finally got my 07 xb9 in Nov of 06 and ride almost everyday. There is no other bike in the world that will match the sound or style of a Buell. I love that I hardly see any others on the road around me. With the D&D exhaust all the Jap riders looks make it worth it!!!

flyboy
06-17-2007, 05:35 AM
I have a xb12s 07,bike #14 and when I got home called back to see if it was to late to trade in on a hd,but I hung with it and now hooked forever,I love the every thing about it.I am 52 a pilot and love any thing that gos fast.

BadS1
06-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Louder then most Harley's ??? I have a Drummer SS and I have to say its the best sounding in my opinion. It has a real close tone to say what a Pasta bike sounds like. But in no way is a Drummer louder then most Harley's.

midlifecrisis
06-20-2007, 12:16 AM
This is to BlackBolt12-where in southern PA? I make it out to New Hope as much as I can. close enough?

BlackBolt12
06-20-2007, 02:19 AM
New Hope is like an hour and a half east of me... not a bad ride I guess

mndwgz
06-20-2007, 03:53 PM
New 07 XB12R black/red owner here in southwest Florida. The first ride taking it home was a wet one, but it just confirmed I made the right decision. :D

Been riding since I was 10, and on the street since 1976 on a BMW, which I bought new and still have.

I'll check in here once in a while to see what's going on.

shooter4886
07-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Been riding a long time and have been riding Harley Davidson for probably the last 11 years. Looking to get a "fun bike" and am looking at the Suzuki GSXR's and the Buell Firebolt. JUst looking for some feedback as to why I should get the Buell.
I guess what I am saying, is I want advice from riders who have been there & done it :)-

Thxs & Stay Safe!!!!

1000rrider
07-12-2007, 11:07 PM
I have a 06 1000rr, 07 1098s and a 07 xb12r. I will soon be getting the 1125r when it comes out and trade in my 1000rr for the 08 1000rr.

Im 21 and youll never guess where Im from..

Half way across the world :)

shooter4886
07-16-2007, 12:13 PM
When do you think the XB12R will come out in a 6 speed?

shooter4886
07-17-2007, 12:03 PM
Has anybody seen the 2008 models on the dealer floors yet? If not, anybody hear when they will be on the floors?

White03 9R
07-19-2007, 10:37 PM
Hey blackbolt, Harrisburg??

buell007
07-06-2008, 07:19 PM
isnt ferris bueller aka for erik buell. I read an article from twin2win dated march 1998 and thier was and two page write up writtin by one ferris bueller

switzomatic
07-07-2008, 02:55 AM
Screw what everyone else thinks about your bike! It's all about what you like. I get crap from people all the time when I'm out wheeling because I run a Polaris(Sportsman 800 with 6" lift, 29.5" Outlaw tires, pipe, etc...) but I can run through the mud and swamps in Northern MN all day long by myself and never need a hand getting out of anywhere. They never seem to complain though when I find them stranded and drive to where they are and pull them out. I don't regret getting the Buell one bit!!!!!

Thaloc
07-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Im 24 just picked up the Arctic White and Blue 08 XB12R bout two months ago. Best buy iv made yet in life in my opinion. I do miss the top end of my old jap bike but honestly its prolly gunna save my life. I dont ever see myself needing to go over a 150 again. And wow does 130 feel fast on the buell, feels like its gunna pull my head off. And when u drop a hotty on the back, the rumble of that Vtwin gets her half way there before I take her inside ;):D[up]

samcol
08-04-2008, 12:24 AM
On the Buell site it's not showing a xb12s. Am I missing something or did they discontinue it?

FIDOSOL
08-04-2008, 12:50 AM
they discontinued it...only the ss and scg

samcol
08-04-2008, 02:07 AM
I wonder why. It's my favorite lightning model ever [confused]

northernfury89
12-24-2009, 11:13 PM
Just bought an '07 XB12R, loving it so far. I started out with the Buell Blast when I was 18, I'm 20 now and I'm loving the tq. of the V-twin. Buell all the way!

ramjr55
12-27-2009, 02:31 AM
I'm 27 going on 28 bought my 05 xb12r in Nov 08. It was the first bike I've owned and the first one I saw when thinking about getting my license. I learned to ride so I could ride this.

Now the wife wants to ride with and I'm either going to buy another Buell for her or just get a cruiser and keep the Buell.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3281_20091127190035_L.jpg