PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing Buell City X

Sawyer
07-22-2007, 08:14 AM
Hi, I recently got knocked off my bike (city x) by some twat on 4 wheels looking to gain 3 inches of space in a traffic jam. Needless to say it caused quite a bit of damage, mirrors, bars, pucks, hand guards, foot pegs, rear mud guard, break lever, pipes and swing arm.

I know it sounds bad but most of it is minor cosmetic damage, I was actually pleasantly surprised by how well the bike took the hit when I picked it up off of the ground.

The main problem is the swing arm, it has a deep scratch underneath the bolt for the back wheel (right side), 2 questions, does the oil reservoir go down that far and is it safe to ride still, also, I know its a big job to replace the swing arm but does anyone have an idea of the cost.

The other main issue is the pipes, again there's a massive scratch on them and they need to be replaced, my question is, are the pipes on the 2008 models the same as on my 2005, or have they been changed. I took a look on the main website and it doesn't say, but all the new pics look like they are stainless steel now?

On top of that I now need to replace my Shoei bash hat and my brand new Buell leather jacket, what the hell!, its the other guys insurance, lets see if I can come out of this better off shall we.

Wear the gear, it really does work!

Cheers - Andy

06xb9r
07-22-2007, 03:17 PM
That sucks, man. I hate when people don't pay attention, especially to motorcycles.

I think the oil reservoir is only in the front of the swingarm.
The header pipes should be the same, or at least fit the same. The XB9SX is the only 984cc bike that they offer in 2008 though and the 12's have larger header tubes... I thought that the headers have always been stainless.
As for costs... there are a couple guys on here that work at dealerships. They should be able to help with that.

LeFox
07-22-2007, 04:25 PM
don't take any chances, the swingarm is an important part of the engine. so if it's damaged, replace it!
especially if another is in fault.

06xb9r
07-22-2007, 04:47 PM
I wasn't saying don't worry about it. I was saying that if it is JUST a scratch all the way back by the axle, it wouldn't do any harm.

I would just make damn sure that the swingarm is not bent, cracked, or leaking.

But if it's on someone else, or insurance, then there's no reason to not replace it. If you have to pay to fix your bike after someone hits you then that really sucks.