PDA

View Full Version : Drummer muffler from KDfab

FerrisBueller
12-13-2006, 02:52 AM
Has anyone tried this muffler http://www.kdfab.com/drummer%20original.htm
The dyno numbers are realy impressive, and since its a modified stock muffler you know the fitment is good.

buellxb
12-13-2006, 03:00 AM
Sounds interesting. I'm still in the market for a new one. I was told by a circuit racer to go with the pipes sold at UseForce (http://www.useforce.com)

FerrisBueller
12-13-2006, 03:09 AM
I've been emailing the owner of KD fab for a few weeks now and he really seems to know what hes doing. Ill be ordering my drummer after the holidays.

maybebuell
12-13-2006, 11:07 AM
if you look at the dyno chart..it took 37 dyno runs to get that number...theres a lot more to just adding that exhaust and making those gains

FerrisBueller
12-13-2006, 11:39 PM
When i emailed him he said that the dyno runs were done on completely stock bikes w/ no other mods or tweeking.

maybebuell
12-14-2006, 12:35 AM
if thats the case id be happy with those gains without having to remap or pay for the tuner kits

FerrisBueller
12-14-2006, 01:11 AM
I emailed Kevin, the owner of KD fab and sent him a link to this thread. I dont wish to missinform anyone so I figured Id let him speak for himself.

Drummer
12-14-2006, 03:33 PM
Hey Guys, Kevin here...if you get the Drummer or the SS you can use the stock ecm with no problems...we raced half this year with the stock ecm on our racebike with no problems....my exhaust does not have an erratic airfuel curve and is easy for the ecm to make the necessary changes....the only time I've used the tfi to add fuel was with the loud Drummer, completely different design, because it created a flat 16to1 AFR....I did it on purpose, but for the average streetbike still in stock form you'll be fine with the stock ecm, if you are a stickler and want the almighty last tenth of a hp on paper for bragging rights then have it tuned with directlink and fatten your budget and all will be well also....my goal is to make products that make great power with minimum effort on the consumers part so that you guys don't have to mess with the bike all the time and you can have a great experience owning a Buell, it's what I learned to do..
Kevin
KDFab.com (http://www.kdfab.com)

maybebuell
12-14-2006, 10:11 PM
hello drummer...I noticed 37 runs om the dyno sheet..was that 37 dyno runs with the new pipe on to get those numbers

Drummer
12-15-2006, 02:03 PM
The reason there are so many runs is because it's not like running a carbed bike , it has an adaptive FI and if the bike is ridden on the street prior to the dyno the airfuel curve will not be optimum for the dyno, it will read fat because riding in the real world and sitting still in a room are 2 different things....if you dyno the buell and it doesn't lay the same lines over and over again you have not run it long enough for the ecm to learn the room conditions...if I see that someone dynoed their bike and only ran it 3 times, that tells me that noone wanted to take the time and find out if it puts the same line down everytime, thats how you find out if the bike and the operator are doing the same thing time and time again....if you would have been at the exhaust shootout in Iowa with us you would see how 1 or 2 runs are all over the place and it doesn't mean much like that...I would rather have something from someone that has taken the time to sit in the dyno room all day and spend $75 an hour finding out if the bike will make more than 3 passes with the same results....

Kevin
www.kdfab.com

maybebuell
12-15-2006, 08:20 PM
so i guess my question is...A persom buys a drummer muffler..it should have dyno time.... to tune to get the same results you did on the stock bike

Drummer
12-15-2006, 10:23 PM
No dyno time needed, the ecm will learn the changes when you ride it at 3200 - 3800 rpm range, thats all that we were doing on the dyno was simulating the learning of the ecm that takes place so that it will have a more accurate dyno plot, mainly having more than 3 runs showing duplicate lines to make sure the bike will compensate for the change...your numbers will be different than anyone elses but the difference from stock to adding the muffler is the comparison that you are trying to see, the number between the difference not the number itself.....not every bike will make the same power but should be close to the same difference between a comparison....you can have the ecm mapped with directlink and have the absolute best results that you will get with any mod but it costs more,I'm merely offering a product that you can purchase and afford, put it on the bike, no extra money spent and it will run great and not give problems.....I designed the Drummer in 1996 and sold them publically since 2003 and I couldn't begin to tell you how many are on the road now, so you don't have to worry about being just a few with the Drummer on the bike, it works and is affordable.....

Kevin
www.kdfab.com

maybebuell
12-15-2006, 11:59 PM
ThaNKS KEVEN..probably the cheepest torque and hp gain one will spend..some rpms as much as 10 lb torque and hp ...at bottom and top of rpm range..thanks for info

brickcop
01-12-2007, 02:44 AM
Kevin is the best. I just purchased a Original Drummer and he went out of his way to explain a million things about this exhaust to me. He does know his stuff and stands behind his products. He shipped my muffler back and I reinstalled it on my 2007 XB12Ss Lightning Long along with taking out the servo and replacing it with the emulator and the K&N filter. My bike performs better, looks better and sounds perfect. You will not be sorry if you go with the Drummer.

BuellPartsGuy
01-12-2007, 05:45 AM
All the drummers I have heard sounds really good.

2Evil4U
01-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Kevin, Some of the other pipes have different tips for the Ulysses because the swingarm droops further for the increased ride height. Will your pipe bolt onto a Uly with no mechanical mods?

brickcop
01-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Yes the Drummer will fit on a Uly. If you go on Kevin's website and click on customers bike's you will see a few Uly's on there. Kevin cuts several inches off of the original muffler and it ends up much shorter then the stock pipe allowing for this clearence that is needed on the Uly's.
Sorry I'm not Kevin but I do not know how often he visits this site and thought you might need this info as soon as possible.

2Evil4U
01-13-2007, 02:52 PM
No problem. Thanks!

Drummer
01-14-2007, 11:31 PM
Hey guys, my exhausts will fit all XB's and can be used with stock ecm or race ecm, either filter, closed or open airbox....the difference for the Uly pipe is in the stock configuration....John, thanks for helping a brother out, you are greatly appreciated...if anyone here wants to contact me for questions heres my #....shop 828-324-9991 leave a message if I don't pick up because I will call you back....

Kevin
www.kdfab.com

brickcop
01-17-2007, 01:30 PM
[up]Yes, he will definitely call you back his customer service is unmatched by any large company or any exhaust company for that matter!!! Thanks again Kevin for my Original Drummer it is the best sounding and performing exhaust that I have ever had on any of my bikes.

07xb12rblack
02-22-2007, 02:09 AM
I see where my income tax return is going:D

bradbolt
02-22-2007, 01:23 PM
i have an 05 xb12r and i got the "econodrummer" and i told Kevin the louder the better when i sent my pipe to him...it is the best mod i have ever done on any bike i have ever had...i like it so much i bought a Drummer racing t-shirt from him to help brag about my pipe.

the first time you start up the bike after the install you will think you have a different bike, the "growl" it makes as you climb rpms is out of this world. oh and gearing down from high speed as you slow down creates a great sound also.

brickcop
02-23-2007, 10:31 PM
:)yes it does.

buellkid
03-27-2007, 08:36 PM
price?

cmiller1
03-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Hi All...

My little two cents worth:
I Called Kevin, thinking all this was too good to be true. I got news for you. He is rad, and sets a perfect example that so many aftermarket shops cant even touch. I felt as though he took the time to explain to me my seemingly dumb questions. His enthusiasm sold me alone. :) I'm buying an original at the top of next week. A question that I thought of just now is if I call Kevin and ask him to make it as loud as possible without comprimising quality / HP is that feasible? Or for every little bit louder you get on the original drummer you lose performance? Kevin...help?
thankyouverymuch...

brickcop
04-01-2007, 11:50 PM
Kevin told me that he would no longer try to make them louder because it takes away from the smooth power and hp numbers and he stated that it sounds great (the original) as is. Let me say he is 100% right! The bike sounds great and runs smooth with the stock ecm and K&N filter.
:)

cmiller1
04-02-2007, 02:33 PM
that's what i figured...

thanks brick

FrAuStY12r
04-03-2007, 03:07 AM
All Hail the Drummer! Buddy has the SS Drummer, and by far is the best looking pipe out there, and the best bang for your buck. Countless runs/smiles to prove it.

If only he'd sell me his mod secrets... ;)

NOMORE4s4ME
04-10-2007, 03:36 PM
I just recently joined the XB ranks with a brand new '05 XB12s. I had to return to the twins that drew me to motorcycles in the beginning. My first bike, a Honda GT650, had the greatest sound with a supertrapp. My buell sounds even cooler. After looking everywhere for the right pipe, I believe I'm gonna go with the Drummer. Besides looks, are there any dramatic differences between the original and the SS?

XB12R Buelligan
04-14-2007, 01:51 PM
I would post it but I'm not very computer savvy, but american sportbike.com has a pdf. download of like a dozen different mufflers for xb9 and xb12, with db levels and dyno runs on all of them. I was muffler shopping until I saw the dyno sheets. I bought the bike, and registered and plated and insured it for a year, and I'm about tapped out. I wanted a can for improved sound obviously, but unless you do an intake and ecm, along with a can, the dyno sheets looked like on average a gain of about 4-8 ft/lbs, with a loss of about 5-10 hp. my xb12r has plenty of torque, but I'm not willing to sacrifice hp for sound. so I'll wait till I can afford the whole race package. By the way, I'm new here/new buell Owner. I love the bike. My dad has an '02 road king with like 30 grand in his motor, and I can hang right with him. I love spankin all his buddies that think their harleys are fast.

brijesh600
02-25-2009, 05:55 PM
anyone bought one from Kevin lately! i have been trying to get a hold of him over the phone (the phone is engaged) e-mailed him too still waiting on his reply! anyone who knows him personally please chime in, i have been wanting to send in my stock exhaust but would like to talk to the person before i do so!

typeone
02-25-2009, 06:29 PM
Kevin is good peeps but usually super-super busy. you could also try dropping Steve Haynes an email to see if he knows Kevins production status. They used to be pretty tight back in the day.. .

steve[at]haynes-corp.com

shilohsk8
02-25-2009, 06:50 PM
I have a Drummer on my bike and I love it! I matched it up with a open air-box and and Xopti tuned ECM map and I feel some serious gains not to mention an all around smoother running bike.[up]

onelogue
02-25-2009, 07:56 PM
First off everyone I have changed my pipes three different times to try things out and I'm sticking with the drummer for sure! Sounds amazing! Another positive about the drummer as we all know is that is uses our stock pipe meaning it fits great and you don't have to take off the piper to lift up the pipe. The stock muffler is constructed to withstand the weight of the bike for lifting. Unlike Jardines wich sound good but need to be taken off for maintenance requring lifting, and not to mention the packing in them has to be replaced once in a while.

Drummer is the way to go!!!

FalconryBoy
06-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Just got the newest version of the Drummer SS on my '07 XB12S. All I can say is WOW!

IYAOYAS
06-22-2010, 10:29 AM
400 bones to gut my pipe, why not go with a Hawk?

lawsxb12
06-22-2010, 08:51 PM
I have a DrummerSS, EBR race ECM, and K&N filter. I called and talked to Kevin for about 30 minutes about the exhuast, gains and other add ons as well. He was more than willing to answer any and all questions. I am more than happy with the exhuast and gains. The sound is AMAZING and gets alot of looks anytime I am out. Love the exhaust and the customer service from KDFab!!!

theoctopus
06-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Yeah, I'm glad everyone likes Hawk, but you can't deny that both Drummer and Spec OPS have MUCH cleaner pipes. The price point is right on the Hawk, but the welds are sloppy. It just makes you wonder how many other corners are cut in the process.

I don't mean to start a flame war here, I'm just expressing my (admittedly uneducated) opinion.

firebolt020283
06-22-2010, 10:00 PM
I always thought the spec ops pipes look rougher than the hawk and drummer.

triple7
06-22-2010, 11:04 PM
But no 1125 pipe from hawk yet, and drummer has an awesome one for the 1125. But its 1000 bucks:(

IYAOYAS
06-23-2010, 04:34 AM
I have not had the oportunity to hear any of the three live. I do like the sound from the Spec ops pipe I heard on the web. Wish someone in my area had one of these pipes for me to hear. I do have to admit the drummer does look cleaner than the rest.

Stevenc150
06-23-2010, 07:22 AM
Randy's been doing this long enough, and sold enough, I think if corners were being cut, we'd heard about it by now. The welds, unless they leak or are in plain sight, shouldn't be an issue unless just knowing bothers you. I mean, I've heard this "Hawk ugly weld" issue a few times on here, Anyone want to throw up pics and let's see just how bad they Really are?

strmvt
06-23-2010, 07:30 AM
ok guys I'm a lil peeved at ppl nitpicking at these guys for busting their asses to make our bikes better. yeah maybe a weld gets thru that looks like crap or even leaks but I'm sure these guys have jobs other then just modding your pipes and families that time is being taken from to mod your pipes. Cut em a break would ya? don't go by hear-say and innuendo unless you experience it yourself back off I'm sure that if something was wrong with the work the guys would take care of it give them the opportunity to do so w/o bashing em on the web 1st just my .02

theoctopus
06-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Sheesh, I wasn't trying to bash. Like I said, the price point is right on with Hawk. You get what you pay for, which is a pipe that works. No more, no less.

That being said, I don't think anyone can deny that the welds are rough. A lot of the time they're so sloppy it's almost painful. The few that I've seen in person look verrrrrrry rough. I didn't say that it implied a poor product, just that it makes me question longevity of the exhaust. That's just a personal issue. To me, the overall quality of the product speaks to the care with which it was produced. I, personally, wouldn't purchase a Hawk.

I also wouldn't purchase a Spec OPS or Drummer because they're so overpriced it's incredible.

I don't think it's EVER acceptable to let any product with your name on it "get thru that looks like crap". But that's probably why I get paid a lot of money to cater: my clients know that anything I put out is going to be flawless, whatever the cost.

Again, I'm not trying to bash Hawk. He puts out a solid product at a VERY reasonable price, which is something that most other exhausts don't do. That's the bottom line. Anything beyond that is just my opinion.

strmvt
06-23-2010, 08:51 AM
I guess I came on to strong and for that I apologize I never meant to start a bash that basher hijack of this thread. I have only seen a Drummer out of all the pipes mentioned here and even then I didn't get on my hands and knees with a magnifying glass. I was more or less thinking out loud and if I came across rough I apologize. I have a Micron Exhaust and was fortunate enough to get a decent deal on it or I would most likely have one of these pipes. and like Octo said about opinions everyone has one just like we all have assholes just mine got a lil loose that time. that didn't come out right but eh you guys get what I'm saying.

Paul

IYAOYAS
06-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Does anyone in the St.Louis area have a drummer, sec ops, or hawk pipe?

Alfatango1
06-23-2010, 10:48 AM
At the independent HD mech I go to the service tech owns an XB12R and knows his stuff front and back. When I first brought my bike in and told him it had a "Hawk" he cringed. The only one he drove had almost no power and the expression on his face was dire. After he installed my rear tire and took it for a spin he said mine was way better. He speculated that they are better then the early ones or I had a better map. I told him my map is stock. He now has a change of mind.

DWix1
06-24-2010, 12:10 PM
I bought a Drummer pipe and combined that mod with the EBR preprogrammed ECM. The bike runs smoother. Feels like there's a bit more punch too. But the real reason I like the Drummer pipe--it sounds amazing. Next to the sound of a ducati with termis and a dry clutch, this drummer makes the best sound I've ever heard. And I'm not talking about booming volume. Noise level is just right. In fact, any louder and it wouldn't be as cool. It nails the sound. It looks great too. I think the only pipe in the world that could top the sound of a drummer would be a micron pipe and they don't make those anymore...though somebody told me they're gonna try to procure a shipment of micron pipes from Australia. haha

FLHP
09-15-2010, 06:57 AM
For you Drummer converts, what have you been doing with the original muffler servo? Just disconnect the cable, do the emulator thing, anything else?

freak2180
09-15-2010, 07:45 AM
I have a drummer ss, so mine has no valve in it. as far as the cable and servo...... I just took the cable off the bike and left the servo plugged up so there is no check engine light. Im also running a stock ECM with the breather reroute and couldent be happier with the way the bike performs.

rah7777777
09-18-2010, 09:48 PM
I picked up a used original drummer from a local rider last month. The packing was shot, so the internal baffle was rattling around. Today my buddy hooked me up and welded the end cap back on (after I cut it and stuffed the new packing in)

I CAN'T wait to get it installed!!

Ive ran Buell race pipes and a special-ops before.
Ive loved both! But can't wait to finally hear a drummer!
All the vids online sound great.

The Special-Ops is a bit too loud for my alley setup and it has a loud tinny sound.

The race pipe has a good low rumble and its not that loud at idle, so its great for the alley setup.

Neither have ever hurt my ears. But I can't wait to try the drummer out! I'll keep the race pipe a while just to make sure the Drummer works out.

Butters
06-20-2011, 12:47 AM
Hey guys. I bought my bike with the Drummer exhaust installed and it really does sound fantastic. Deep grumble. Lots of character. May be a bit loud for some and for me it is borderline; I wouldn't want to do a 20min or longer ride without some ear protection. I wear earplugs whenever I ride so it attenuates the sound --- it sounds PERFECT with ear plugs in.

I do have a question tho. My bike does exhibit a fair bit of backfiring when I let off the throttle anywhere from mid to high in the rev range. Is this normal?

PwrHse
06-20-2011, 02:36 AM
I run a drummer with open air box and ebr ecm , and it never backfires or coughs . You may need to re-program ecm .

Butters
06-22-2011, 02:01 AM
Hmm... Yeah, mine backfires quite a bit and it's really loud when it does. Should I just take it to the local dyno tuning guy and ask him to sort it out for me?

PwrHse
06-22-2011, 02:10 AM
If you know someone who is good with tuning these bikes , go for it . If you are good with computers , there some on this site that could help with program . I did it the easy way plug-and-play . an ECM from Ericbuellracing designed for the drummer . It will cost you but it works well . Good luck with whatever option you choose . If done right those problems will go away .

08levin
06-22-2011, 10:07 AM
I did the same as PwrHse. rode the bike with the stopck ECM for a while and the popping during deceleration was almost embarassing. after plugging in the EBR ECM and doing a TPS reset and IAC learn cycle as described in the ECM instructions (10 minute idle immediately following the TPS reset), all the popping is gone.

Drkside79
06-22-2011, 11:32 AM
My 08 XB9SX seems to have none of these issues. I have very little popping and in general love this pipe. My setup is pretty basic too. K&N filter, Stock ECM, and a Drummer SS.

BTW if anyone is interested Kevin is a class act.

I bought a SS from a guy used. It was for a 12. I called Kevin he had me ship him the pipe he repacked it and put on the correct end. Mind you he didn't make a $ off me.

100% the best CS i ever received!!

Butters
06-22-2011, 01:18 PM
I have a 12Scg. Stock everything except for the exhaust. Would whoever I take it to for tuning be able to just reflash the stock ECU?

Drkside79
06-22-2011, 01:49 PM
What year is your Scg?

Drkside79
06-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Also how much were they gonna charge you to flash the ECM. Sometimes HD does it for free and sometimes they are *****

As an FYI my buddy got one of these and loves it

EBR XB12 ECM (http://www.erikbuellracing.com/store/models/xb12/xb12-preprogrammed-ecm.html)

08levin
06-22-2011, 07:29 PM
I don't think my dealer would do anything other than re-flash the stock maps. I had them flash the newer comfort settings that change the fan settings, but it didn't do anything ato help fix the deceleration popping. They charged me for the flash, but only 1/4 - 1/2 hr labor.

Butters
06-23-2011, 12:02 AM
My Scg is a 2009. Gonna bring it by a race mechanic next week and see what he has to say.

Medicbpm
08-04-2011, 08:08 PM
For anyone considering a Drummer or Drummer SS. Quit looking. I just revieved my 2 weeks ago and I cant be happier. They sound is AWESOME. was louder than I was used to(first time adding bike mods). But what really impresed my was how it smoothed out my power band on my 08 XB9SX. Combined with an opened airbox cant believe the power response. Been playing with the AFV's to get the best all around fuel usage and its just improving daily. Dont go with the knock off. Kevin's Drummer SS is a work of art. I went with flat black on my and LOVE the look.
:D[up]