PDA

View Full Version : The Lightning Bolt..............

xtremelow
07-24-2007, 01:17 AM
I am in the process of removing the front fairing and completely doing away with anything up front minus the lights.

As you can see in the pics it took quit a bit to get the wiring harness out. But once it is all done I am sure it will have been worth it. I am not sure yet if I will go with one oval headlight or a double stack of oval headlights. I will be re mounting all the relays and fuses under the seat and truck compartment. I will keep updating as I go along.

Brandon

http://a339.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/65/l_477b80a9415fdcdb03d2af850a1b54ca.jpg

As you can see all this for the wiring harness (circled in red)
http://a466.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/68/l_8483397cc00406aa9f473a552f8c1c11.jpg

mrdozer2you
07-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Well, at least it looks like you are organized :D

I know, I know, most of the little bits on the ground are cut cable ties. :p

xtremelow
07-24-2007, 09:42 PM
I did get it back together and it all runs I had to extend about 20 wires for the front. I plan to make some type of cover sheild that mounts from one fork to the other and then mount the lights to that, but I have to figure out where and how I will do that. I had lights mounted to the stock front fairing bracket location but it just wont work and it doest look good even with the minimal wires.

Lets here what you think
Brandon

http://a194.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/76/l_c57fa97a8822c776e6fcbcd4a0e42701.jpg

07xb12r
07-25-2007, 01:05 AM
ok, my 2 cents worth...
First off props for having the balls to pull all that apart, and getting it wired the way you want, and running (not to mention the fact that its all outside, and you can't just stop for a couple of days and figure things out)
Which brings me to #2... What is the desired look you are trying to achieve. Like a speed triple? Do you think you will be giving up some aerodynamic speeds? I know the trading off for cool/different looks is sometimes worth the speed loss, but with your airbox mods you seemed like you where seaking better times/mph.
And finally...at what level do you think your machanical skills are at? Are you a tech, a hot rodder, weekend warrior, a novice?
Well, good luck on your vision. If it turns out anything like your airbox, you will be very happy, and the "coolness" factor will be outthere

[up]

mrdozer2you
07-25-2007, 01:46 AM
Dude, isnt there a way to throw a windscreen and light set up similar to a Lightning? If I were you i'd get a set of projectors and a Lightning windscreen, that'd look awesome [up][up]

onebadblaz
07-25-2007, 02:06 AM
I went for the same look but I started with a lightning and put a firebolt tail on it.I've been thinking of other stuff I want to do to mine to make it stand out from others.Looks good so far cant wait to see what lights you plan on running[up]

xtremelow
07-25-2007, 03:07 AM
Well here are all the answers to the questions above.

I am new to bikes only had my bike for 2 months and never owned one before that. But at the same time I have been heavy into the truck sceen for the past 5 years. Pic below. I would set myself as a novice for sure there is quit a bit I dont know but in the same I have many automotive friends that can answer all the questions I have.

As far as the look I am going for is pretty much a modified Lightning. I got a great deal on this Firebolt off Ebay but have wanted a Lightning. I really dont care for the fairing. But I do also want it as fast as possible. I know I lost some top end speed from the removal of the fairing but all the mods I do have still keep me above stock. Plus I was satisfied with my times at the track and dont care to run it any more so I am going to be focusing on just flat out fun. I have been getting into wheelies pretty hard and am thinking of a small cage for the drops even though I have yet to drop my bike but sooner or later it will happen.

I guess I just want a different bike that can get out of its own way, and either hit 130 on the highway if I want or ride a wheelie now and then.

And as far as doing a lightning front fairing I thought about it but I would need to buy a new upper fork thing (new to bikes as you can see) because the handles mount to it and it also allows the fairing to mount to it unlike the firebolt which mounts to the frame. Plus I like to keep my money in my wallet and it would just cost more than I am willing to dish out.

Also I bought some small rectangular lights I will post more pics as it comes along.

Brandon

http://a298.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/29/l_eb4346866dcdbfbb013a71ddfac0e371.jpg

mrdozer2you
07-25-2007, 12:17 PM
#1. Maybe a number plate on the front like on a motocross bike would do for hiding the wires ( you can get them blank too ) You may have to tap a couple holes for bolts but thats easy. Then mount your lights above or below the plate.

#2 Check out a couple local High Schools, mine had a metal and plastic's shop. They're always looking for projects to do ( They do it for free!!! ) Have them fab something up, only draw back is it may take a while as i'm sure the teacher would want to make it a "class" project. You could do that over the winter. Hey, free storage [up]

You wanted cheap so there ya go [cool]

xtremelow
07-25-2007, 03:26 PM
I do have access to a machine shop but it is just the time to find to be able to et in and draw up a design for the CNC machine and I might be able to pull it off for free. But I guess the biggest draw back is that I am picky and want it to appear custom not just a modified stock piece off a dirt bike. But I might be able to find something that catches my eye and modify it.

Brandon

mrdozer2you
07-25-2007, 05:15 PM
Well yeah thats what im saying, you may find something cheap and be able to mod it. But custom and cheap don't really go together, unless you have loads of free time ( which you said that you didn't )

What about leaving it open and getting some stainless steel hose covers ( similar to the brake lines ), that would look sweet. They come in all sizes. Combine that with maybe a stainless/painted mesh flyscreen, and the lights poking through that, you could make that real easy. That would definitely say STREETFIGHTER. :D:D:D

xtremelow
07-25-2007, 07:43 PM
I mounted one light and after seeing it, I realized I need something with just a bit of size to it otherwise the frame and air cover just make the front forks look tiny and simply unproportional.

I might modify my stock windscreen but i have to look at it and see what can be done.

Brandon

mrdozer2you
07-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Maybe a shot of the lights you will be using might help us with suggestions?

xtremelow
07-26-2007, 05:02 AM
Well there has a been a little curve in the road I dropped my bike at a buddies and the primary case got smashed in so I need to find a new one for cheap. I almost got one on ebay but I was out bid.

So until that gets done the rest has been put to the back burner.

Brandon

Das Bolt
07-28-2007, 10:40 PM
Sorry about your bike,but if you have time to kill while you wait for parts how about this,take some light wire mesh for a base and then use fibreglass to shape a windscreen use spot putty to smooth out any rough spots.you could use aluminumn strapping to make mounting brackets.Just off the top of my head,never done anything that exstensive,but it seems possable and looking at your truck you seem qualified.

xtremelow
07-29-2007, 05:39 AM
I had given that same idea a thought, but I am not much a body guy. But none the less I still have it in mind if I cant find anything else.

Brandon

zombieBUELLer
07-29-2007, 09:09 PM
great job on the air box mod![up] and the wiring too!

I dropped my bike at a buddies and the primary case got smashed in

wow..were you carrying your bike over your head?[smirk]
is it the primary case? or one of the covers?

xtremelow
07-30-2007, 03:25 AM
I was in first gear and just sitting at the balancing point and as I was just coming out of the balancing point I tried to gas it a little but the torque sent the bike over. It tumbled end over end 2 times but all the damage was the pegs, left handle bar, and the shifting linkage was smashed into the primary case caving it in a little.

Not proud by any means, but **** happens.

I have all the new stuff coming already but I will be in Flordia for the next week and a half and then I have to get my truck ready for a big show in IN called Indy Truck Bash or Import and Truck Bash, it is called both. But none the less it is my biggesdt show of the year and tons of fun. Since I was in Iraq last year I missed it so I will have to make up for it this year.

Brandon

shooter4886
07-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Sorry to hear about the bike going down, but on the good side........you are here in the States and able to make the truck show. Thanks for serving our Country & doing what you did last year...SEMPER FI!!!
[up]

xtremelow
07-30-2007, 05:16 PM
Yup I just got my custom billet steering wheel, billet grille insert, so I have to install those and wait on my roll pan and hood to get painted.

But I will also have my bike going soon enough too.

Brandon

onebadblaz
07-30-2007, 09:46 PM
Sorry to hear about the wreck..I know all about that too! My buddies old trucks going to be in sport truck mag. it was shot last year at ITB it was in bads booth out there its going to be in the October sport truck here's a pic!
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/onebadblaz/2006HavocCustomTruckShow059.jpg

xtremelow
07-31-2007, 07:03 AM
I have seen his truck but it was when it was in primer. Looks great. Long haul from what it was originally.

Brandon

xtremelow
08-03-2007, 01:31 AM
Well off to Flordia. I will update on my bike in a week or so.

Brandon

zombieBUELLer
08-03-2007, 10:37 AM
where are you going to be in florida?

not sure if you'll see this while you're there but... have fun! and welcome to the sunshine state either way!

xtremelow
08-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Yup I am here in Jacksonville as I type.

Brandon

keisersozae
01-10-2009, 02:59 PM
just wondering if you could post some pics of where you put the ecm and fuse box??? any help would be appreciated.

nativeXb12Rbuell
01-12-2009, 04:30 AM
i saw this pic in the members photos thought it might come of some help to someone doing a similar conversion.. how to mount lights.

http://www.buellxb.com/index.php?a=buell_photos&i=1954

Poohspot18
01-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Xtremelow- are you still in Jacksonville?? I am for a while. Hit me up- jon.norris@usmc.mil

keisersozae
01-19-2009, 05:04 PM
thanks native but i going with the stock lightning headlight bracket. i really just need a picture of the front of a lightning without the flyscreen on it to see how to do it.

keisersozae
01-19-2009, 05:17 PM
woops, you weren't talking to me.....haha