PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Buell, please help me decide which one......

saltlick
07-25-2007, 06:09 AM
I know that sounds lame. Okay im selling my 1200 sportster, will get around $5500 for it. Im just not the cruiser type. I love the buells. But..Thats all the money i have to spend on a used Buell ($5500)With that being said, what is the difference between these models, and which one would be the best bang for the buck considering how much (or little) dough i have to spend. Is there any years to stay away from? With my price range, i seem to be looking at 2001-2003 Lightnings with 10K miles on them. Anyways what the difference between these models? Any suggestions for me id appreciate:

Buell X1 Lightning
Buell XB9S
Buell XB12S

His_and_Her_Buells
07-25-2007, 01:43 PM
X1 is tube frame, nothing in particular wrong with that, (I plan on having a tuber in my garge someday), but most here like the technologies that came with the XB models. 9's are higher revving and you will find more to choose from for your $5500. The 12's are torquier, (just think of you sporty loosing a buch of wight and gaining 20-30 HP) and more models (variations) to choose from. If your vertically challenged go with the XB12cg for a lower seat hight. If you are of the lankier variety the XB12Ss may fit you better. But you will have a harder time finding these in your price range. But either way if you find a good deal buy it whichever model it is. I'm 5'7" and bought the Ss and just shaved the seat 2" to make it fit. Bottom line, you'll be happy with whatever Buell you stuff between your legs if you take your time and find the best one you can for $$$$.

mrdozer2you
07-25-2007, 05:20 PM
His and Hers, off the subject but how did you modify your seat? Did they just take out foam? Is it a rougher ride?

His_and_Her_Buells
07-25-2007, 11:44 PM
His and Hers, off the subject but how did you modify your seat? Did they just take out foam? Is it a rougher ride?

Yes, they started just in front of the strap cutting nearly straight down then swept forward and back up at the front of the seat. They said there was not enough foam to go any deeper. It is still comfortable but I'm only in the saddle for 1/2 hour at a time. I'm taking a 1.5 hour ride Sunday so we will see how that is. I do notice a little more pressure on the inside of my thighs when feet are down but once feet are on the pegs all is good. The best $40 I've spent on the bike so far[up].

mrdozer2you
07-26-2007, 12:51 AM
can you post a pic of it so I can see how it all turned out?

His_and_Her_Buells
07-26-2007, 06:19 AM
yes I'll take some when I get home. I may even still have the chunk that was cut out.

His_and_Her_Buells
07-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Pics of the completed seat. He didn't come as straight down in the back as I thought, it just feels that way to my butt when I slide back. The covering actually is about an inch off of the cushion at the cushions lowest point. I was concerned that this might cause it to stretch after a while but the shop claimed the material is very resiliant and that if does stretch and get baggy looking they will fix it. I scheduled the work done so I wouldn't have to go w/o my ride. I dropped the seat off in the morning and they had it for me that afternoon.
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/662_20070726062906_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/662_20070726062953_L.jpg

His_and_Her_Buells
07-26-2007, 01:42 PM
Ok saltlick, you may have your thread back now:D

mrdozer2you
07-27-2007, 01:53 AM
Yeah sorry salt.

Thanks alot for the pics!!!! Nice and fast[up]
That gives me a good idea on what to do now. Doesnt look like it would be hard to do.
It looks alot like the Corbin Gunfighter for the SS, but $350.00 less expensive :p