PDA

View Full Version : X1 wont start

martinwill
09-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Bike has been standing for a couple of weeks as i was lowering the suspension, took it out today for a few miles, as i neared home it started to missfire and pop, as i pulled up at home it died and now wont start.
have also replaced the standard air box with a foam car filter
plugs are wet but no spark,
any pointers would be appreciated.
Dont know anything about fuel injection etc

ophawk
09-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Did you change anything else in the Intake tract? either pull and change both plugs, or give them ample time to dry out, air out the cylinders. then run it with and without the new and old filter to see the changes.
If the new filter provided much better airflow this would tend to lean out the mixture, which from the factory was already on the lean side. If it gets too lean then you will get a misfire, backfire popping that you described. You will probably have to have the ECM remapped to match the new airflow from the intake, and you will see a much improved ridability when compared to the stock programming.
Later

martinwill
09-20-2009, 06:36 AM
Yes ophawk the air filter will provide greater airflow
I did an engine light test on the ecu by shorting pins 1 and 2 on the plug that you would connect a laptop, counted the number of flashes and it was 1 and 5 flashes, so 15 which tells me that there is an inlet temp sender problem.
put the spark plugs back in, pulled the temp sender out and held the tip between my fingers, she started, let her run for a while, then turned off.

Came back to start about 1/2 hour later but no joy, tried again holding the temp sender but nothing, so back to square one.

One thing that might have caused the problem was that the sender was positioned in hole that i had drilled in the venturi of the air filter so it was in the direct inlet air flow, possibly far too cold or may have been damaged with the missfiring. Could the ecu have tried to adjust to this new cold temperature hence the poor running just before she died ? but it does sound like i will have to get the ecu remapped.

will get a lead to connect to a laptop and the software, plus a new temp sender and see where i go from there.
Its going to be a learning curve, good in a way as everything is heading down the fuel injection route, gone are the days where you tinker with carbs.

LeFox
09-20-2009, 07:19 AM
try installing to previous airfilter.

martinwill
09-20-2009, 07:12 PM
Will fit the origional air box as a last resort, recon it looks better without it.

would like to give it a good go at fixing it, learning how to use the laptop etc.

the flashing engine light test comes up with number 33 as well as 15, 33 being fuel pump,

could the fact the tank has been off have caused 33 to flash, does the system need to be primed/bleed ?

you can hear the pump priming when you turn the ignition on,

Tank air vent works,

Will check the fuel filter tomorrow.
Manual ordered, connector for ecm cable on its way,

seen the odd horror stories on these x1's on various forums, money pits, not going down that route.
but it does sound great with its vance and hines exhaust

The saga continues,

ophawk
09-23-2009, 03:51 AM
The placement of the temp sensor shouldn't have that much of an effect on it. It is supposed to measure the temp of the air in the tract, whether its 40 deg or 150.
I would still bet that you are running way lean, is it possible for you to have a vacuum leak?
The system shouldn't need to be bled, the pump is gravity fed, and any air that would have been in the system will be purged out as soon as you hit the key and give it a try.

It seems that you are on the right track, getting the manual and ecm cable. I have a Carb'd tuber, so I don't have much experience with the FI on the Buells, a lot more experience with it in the "Cages".

Keep us posted
Later

gypsey
09-25-2009, 12:19 AM
hi i have a carbie tuber and changed the air bow 4 a k an n pod filter and also redirected the breathers to a catch can , i checked the exhaust pipe and it was a nice grey she to run routh and stoped firing on 1 cylender , the plugs had only done 900 ks , so after some playing around discovered the plug was starting to break down changed the plugs and of she went ( so much 4 harley plugs !!!)

LeFox
09-25-2009, 08:20 AM
if you install the previous airfilter and the problem is solved, you know where to look.

if not, you may have bumped into a connection or caught some wire during install of the new one.

martinwill
09-28-2009, 08:27 AM
tied the IAT sender to the outside of the filter, connected to ecmspy, reset the tps, set the afv to 100% and cleared the code 15 and 33 that were historic, took for a spin and was fine. came back, re connected the ecmspy, no more error codes. Problem sorted, must just have been the IAT sender position.
took a look at the fuel maps there are a few areas that are not smooth, will have a go at adjusting these areas once i have learned a bit more about ecmspy tuning. She runs well enough to ride. pulls like a train.

martinwill
09-29-2009, 06:22 PM
turns out its not a vance and hines exhaust, it a buell pro system, anyone got fuel maps for this system ?, can compare to mine, give me an indication what figures i should be looking for.

martinwill
10-30-2009, 10:27 AM
bike started to rattle in the crankcase halfs, stripped the motor, turns out i need a crankshaft, two cylinders/pistons and two heads, all the origionals damaged.