PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs for 06 12X

KingRat
09-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Hi everybody, new member from South Africa. Bought an ex-demo 2006 XB12X the beginning of the year. Best long distance cruiser i have ever owned and i have had many in the last thirty years. Have so far traveled more than 7500k's into Africa this year. handles like a dream even loaded full up. If you stay within limits it will do gravel roads as well. Have cruised at 75mph on good gravel roads.
But here is my question. Have to service the bike myself and it is dire need for new NGK spark plugs. But are reading so many different views on which plugs to use. Some guys claim it is not worth using iriduim plugs. How hot must the plugs be?
#8 or #9? If somebody that has fiddled around with the various NGK plugs can pse help me it will be appreciated. Thanx

50dro
09-23-2009, 06:41 PM
I was just researching this the other day...

The consensus is the NGK DCPR9EIX-9, but I haven't changed mine just yet.

Good luck!! Let us know how they work for you.

Stevenc150
09-23-2009, 07:25 PM
Welcome to the Forum Kingrat. :D[up] I run those plugs (NGK Iridium - DCPR9EIX) and have been very happy with them. I feel they're worth using, they're as foul-resistant as anything out there as well as lasting longer. I was sold.

50dro
09-24-2009, 03:16 AM
Where is the best place to pick up the NGK DCPR9EIX-9? I called a few local auto parts stores and they didn't have them.

Stevenc150
09-24-2009, 03:22 AM
They won't have them in stock, but if you ask them to order them, they can. O'reilly's AND Advanced Auto both said they could order mine but O'reilly's ended up being cheaper.

KingRat
10-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks guys, will give it a go

LionBuell
10-06-2009, 06:02 AM
Hi KingRat, i`m also in RSA i changed to the iridium plugs and they do work better espesially in the warmer climate and cold start in winter you will have a hard time to get them here, i had to import mine but worth the expence. If you are in Gauteng i recomend taking it to JHB Harley you can not do a better job yourself.(speak to Malkom or mail me maybe we can do a ride sometime lionbuell@gmail.com).
Welcome to the forum[up]
Regards Morne.