PDA

View Full Version : HELP MY BIKE IS DEAD

NJJOEYO
12-17-2006, 04:02 AM
[confused]
About 3 weeks ago I got on my 06 Buell Firebolt XB12R to take her out for a well deserved ride. She was cranking VERY slow and had a great deal of difficulty starting. After about 5 minutes I got her going and what an amazing ride.

Now enter my problem. She sat for about 10 days through a real cold snap and a lot of dampness. I wen out to start her up and NOTHING. DEAD. Turn the key and NOTHING. I put my battery charger on it and she turned over again with a great deal of difficulty. When I unhooked the charger she died instantly.

I have put a brand new battery, checked all the fuses, and relays, and all look OK. Battery shows full charge and 12.2 volts on a meter. Starter just hammers away and nothing... but only when attached to the battery charger. No charger NO NOTHING...

HELP!!!! if anyone has seen or heard something like this PLEASE HELP. I want my baby back!!!

buellxb
12-17-2006, 04:40 AM
Do you have gas in the tank? Ha, JK. Check the spark plugs. If they look fine I think your best bet is to take it to the dealer. You should have a five year warranty with no questions asked. I'd stop putting your own time and money into it and let Buell and HD worry about it. It could be a computer problem. Good luck!

BuellPartsGuy
12-17-2006, 05:38 AM
Fried the starter brushes or the starter solenoid cranking it on a dead battery....

maybebuell
12-17-2006, 02:28 PM
battery could be junk that simple...battery conections or ground could be lose also...goodluck....sounds like battery

azsnow
12-18-2006, 03:21 AM
Sounds just like a bad battery. just because it shows 12 volts, doesn't mean it puts out enough amps. get it tested.

maybebuell
01-08-2007, 10:36 PM
hey joey what was the outcome comeback Joey i know what the problem is

xoptimizedrsx
01-27-2007, 10:29 PM
hey make sure the rear subframe is making a clean connection to the main frame. if it is not a good it costed me 524.00 for a little paint removed and star washers. fixed my bike back up i had only 4700 miles on it it just went dead when i tried to start it after refueling.

woodardj84
08-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Mine had the same problem. Took it to HD and they said battery was fine but charger was bad. They fixed it and the bike ran fine for a couple of weeks. Now having same problem all over again. I've heard a lot of big twins have this problem but no idea why. Any help would be appreciated.

LeFox
08-09-2007, 07:41 PM
12.2v is too low, it should be around that when you're cranking...

and it's best not to let you bike sit so long without running it or disconnecting the battery.
other option is to put an charger on it that can stay connected like optimate, accumate, etc.

and...
- do not start longer than 10sec at a time
- wait a bit after several tries, let starter brushes and solenoid cool down

woodardj84
08-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Don't know how many volts mine was, just that they said it was good. Been running almost everyday since it was fixed the first time.

LeFox
08-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Don't know how many volts mine was, just that they said it was good. Been running almost everyday since it was fixed the first time.

you have a different problem than "njjoeyo".

can you put a meter on it and check voltage when:
- in rest
- cranking
- running
- changes when going through rpm's

woodardj84
08-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Don't have one handy. HD's gonna pick it up in the morning and I'm gonna grill them about it then. Thanks for the reply though.

xb12r04red
01-08-2008, 06:54 AM
check the battery connection that will do very stange thing to your bike such as hard starts make it sound like a bad starter and make it very sluggish!

typeone
01-08-2008, 12:17 PM
i'm with LeFox. put a meter on it and check voltage in situations he lists, you should see the battery drain with lights on, firing up, then it should start climbing right back up to 14.~v which will tell you the charging system is working. if you dont see it jump back up over 12 while running, youre voltage regulator could be bad too. i replaced mine with the battery for piece of mind plus the main connector was melted. check it. its common.

to add a little background... HD tested my battery when i got stranded and said it was good. i didnt believe them and bought a new one. success as listed above.

mrdozer2you
01-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Im not sure about motorcycle batteries but I know my car battery had a bad cell once. The battery appears fine and charged but when you put a load on it (like starting) you get nothing. But like LeFox said if you can meter it that would be obvious under cranking.

justice720
03-20-2008, 03:54 AM
get a new battery.. mine was doing the same thing when I bought it used in jan.. I charged the batt over night a few times.. once I broke down and finally replaced it the bike ran fine. Before the new batt it was popping and the gages were flickering a little... it would actually die while I was driving it sometimes too.. new batt fixed the problems..

k_reed_14
03-20-2008, 01:24 PM
YOu might check the water/acid level in the battery. I had a similiar sounding problem in a different bike. The battery was low on acid after it had sat for a while. I added some acid and let i charge on my battery tender for a day and no more problems.