PDA

View Full Version : Rough idle and Hot Start Binding?

bronjeremy
09-26-2009, 03:26 AM
Ok so i bought a 07 buell firebolt xb12r...it seems to not run as a bike should i know it is a v-twin and it doesnt run perfect but its newer and alot less miles then my friend with a xb9r and it runs alot more rough then his... i bought it with 2800 miles on it and right away just changed spark plugs, wires, oil, and it still runs rough... the next problem is when it starts some times but not all the time it seems to bind when i click the start button and it seems as if the battery does not have enough balls to trun it over....but i have charged the battery, load tested it and tried a new batter and it, and still does it... that leads me to belive the base timeing is off but i dont know how it would get this way any help or ides would be GREAT... or could there be somethign wrong with the Mapping??? also i put a jardine pipe on it recently and it seems to run better? which is wierd... it has a high flow filter also... and still runs rich on the map it has so yet again any input or help would be great?!?!

Stevenc150
09-26-2009, 04:24 AM
Sounds like you covered all your bases. Have you checked the Grounds wherever you can, they do some crazy crap when not "fully" grounded.

bronjeremy
09-26-2009, 12:17 PM
no i havent had done that... i was going to bring it to a guy with a dyno and get it re mapped and try that but i will check all grounds before i go spending money!!! Thanks!:)

Phazernut
09-26-2009, 02:54 PM
My 09 does the same thing when it starts sometimes. I have heard Harleys start the same way over the years so I never questioned it. It seems like the battery is low and it can hardly turn over the engine. So is this normal? It always starts it but it just hesitates sometimes turning over.

Stevenc150
09-27-2009, 03:37 AM
Last thing I might add, the dealer Harley batteries almost can't be beat for Cranking amps. Takes more to turn over a Twin than a 4 Cyl.

bajabomber87
09-28-2009, 05:36 AM
No the starter and/or solenoid is going out. Have fun tryin to get Buell to replace it if you're under warranty.

They wouldn't replace mine because they have never heard of a starter doing this [down]

The Buell tech's are full of **** and wont recognize the problem.

[down][down]

If you ever get to the point where it gets bad like mine now, where after the bike is hot and you stop to cool down, it wont start (just the one head light will dim and nothing) Just reach down and tap the starter with your fingers from the right side of the bike and it should turn over.

bronjeremy
10-01-2009, 04:25 AM
Thanks for the input and advice guys... but it still dosent solve my running rough problem!!!!

okey
10-01-2009, 11:17 AM
my 09 xb12ss will do exactally as yours phazer. i think it is normal as i have a battery tender and it shows full charge.Imagine trying to kick start one of these bad arsed engines.

Stevenc150
10-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Bron, you try a TPS Reset yet?

Phazernut
10-01-2009, 06:46 PM
I saw a guy trying to kick start a Harly 1200 one time....no Thanks.

GatorBuell
10-01-2009, 09:57 PM
The starting issue is just the starter trying to turn the motor over on the compression stroke. Its normal.
Describe the rough idle a little. Does is idle then stall or bounces around a lot, does the rpms go up and down?

mk2_20v
10-01-2009, 10:14 PM
i agree with gator on the starting hard issue both cyl run up on compression together on these motors you should hear my dads cammed 114 ci road king sometimes.... on the rough running im stumped[confused]

bronjeremy
10-02-2009, 02:10 AM
well... when its cold it bounces around ALOT and even when its up to temp i run it right next to my friend with his xb9r and his has same pipe and seems to run ten times smoother... alos randomly pops when i take off from a stop light....

and was taking out the exhaust servo cable for my air box delete kit and my battery terminals vibrated loose AGAIN so i lock tited them AGAIN and hasnt done the hard start thing on me yet! :]

bronjeremy
10-02-2009, 02:11 AM
thats a big N O on the tps reset, i was going to do a tps rest when i get it dynoed this spring im just trying to find solutions that don't cost a arm and a leg

Stevenc150
10-02-2009, 03:26 AM
Breather Re-route (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/How-To-Crank-Case-Breather-Mod-with-pics) should help with some of the popping and costs next to nothing.

bronjeremy
10-02-2009, 05:52 PM
i have read that post like 6 times..and i think im going to do that next im sick of the "hicup" in first and the ****ty idle Thanks all!!!

bronjeremy
10-04-2009, 06:02 PM
So its too ****ty to ride today in Wisconsin [down] That means its time to do the breather re-rout mod today!!