PDA

View Full Version : broken brake line

Buellysses
10-01-2009, 11:58 PM
Hey all, I have a quick question for you.

When I did the mods/painting on my bike I left off the lower fender on the front wheel (the one on the back of the forks). I didn't realize that part is what holds the brake line away from the front wheel while braking and cornering. Long story short, I wore through the clear outer jacket on the brake line. All of the braided jacket is still intact, and a little more shiny. Do you think it is safe to ride like that? I was going to just heat-shrink it for the weekend ride. Any thoughts?

onelogue
10-02-2009, 12:19 AM
I would say keep riding unless you start wearing through the braided part. Cause thats where all the real protection is. Once the braid starts to show wear order a new line.

dave_xb12r
10-02-2009, 01:17 AM
If it just wore through plastic, I would think it's ok. Maybe a few layers of heat shrink wouldn't hurt, or at least some E tape. I know the dealership will always replace it if there is the slightest sign of wear though.

Buellysses
10-02-2009, 04:55 AM
I was kind of thinking the same thing guys... I mean that outer sheath really doesn't offer any strength.

My only worry is that it is a fairly critical part of the bike, and guaranteed it would break at the most inopportune time.

strmvt
10-02-2009, 06:00 AM
I'd replace it imho ANY time I work on a brake system I use new quality parts Brakes are your life no brake can = death I'd fork over the cash and get a new line just my .02

hula Buell
10-02-2009, 08:11 AM
They really don't cost that much.Actually cheaper than a couple weeks in a hospital:(

Buellysses
10-02-2009, 01:40 PM
It's not really the cost I'm concerned about... more of the timing. I'm going on a road trip this weekend. Discovered the problem Monday, ordered the part. Of course it's not here yet. ARGH!

rndrkeagle
10-02-2009, 01:51 PM
you should be fine to use it for the weekend trip.... I would agree with onelogue that if you don't have any wear in the braid, it'll be fine for short term use. that outer sheath is there to protect the braid from corrosion and from the abrasion that can occur when dirt gets into that braid and starts wear through the individual metal strands as the line is flexed and moved. In the end, you're a lot better off going ahead and replacing it as it appears you are. For a couple weeks use until that replacement line gets in, you should be fine. I would just make certain that you check the condition of the worn area before each day's ride.

taildraggin
10-02-2009, 03:01 PM
It's braided with SS... no worries.

But, I'd stop the contact. Nothing good comes from that. I'd zip tie it out of the way somehow.

- Charlie