PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a buell what to do???

bardo688
10-04-2009, 05:50 AM
Hi im 16 and just bought an '03 XB9S and trying to figure out what to and not to do. Need advice and openions please before I spend money. (love performance, mpg and I really wanna take care of my new baby and make her last forever)
Iam looking at getting Bar end mirrors, K&N filter, header wrap, and i was looking at a Jardine pipe but open to options.
-Thanks! :)

onelogue
10-04-2009, 07:44 AM
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the bike bro.
Mods are great, once you get started they are addicting. Go through the "Do-it-yourself" threads and find all the stuff previous people have done. The search option is very confusing but it's getting modified for easier clearification.

Hopefully one of the guys can link you to a thread that has a great overview for new members.

Good luck and ask as many questions that you have.

p..s. The Jardin is probably one of the loudest pipes but you loose major torque/power and the maintenance and quality sucks!!!

RJ

hula Buell
10-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Hey kid,are you wealthy or something? Just learn how to tame the Buell and don't let the Buell tame you.It's a greaqt bike and you will have lot's of fun on it.:D

samiam901
10-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Congrats on the bike. Post up some pics[up] here is a post by stevenc150 with lots of info clickity click here (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/General-Motorcycle-Chat/120-Helpful-Links-for-Buellers...and-growing)

bardo688
10-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Nah iam not wealthy moms a teacher. Just a hard working kid trying to have some fun and save up some for college:D. I love it lightweight, easy to handle and cheap on the insurence. So happy I didnt go with a 250 ninja:). Step dads kinda got a nice job though 03 fatboy 16in apes, 06 streetglide, and 08 1125r. Were an american bike family. Thanks for the help. Ill try to post up some pics when I get done and am ready for the new season.;)

Stevenc150
10-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Welcome to the Forum Bard and the Buell "family". [up] Here's 2 good threads in case you haven't stumbled on them: New Bueller Info (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/General-Motorcycle-Chat/for-the-new-buellers-here...) and Buell Performance-Where to Begin (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/General-Motorcycle-Chat/buell-performance...where-to-begin). Look forward to the pics.

Phazernut
10-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Just ride it like it is for the rest of the season. Then decide what you want and can afford to do. If you don't ride it before you change it you won't really have any appreation for any mods you do. I will second the thoughts on the Jardine. Had one for 3 weeks and hated it.

bardo688
10-05-2009, 03:01 AM
Iam waiting till after winter to mod. Ive put some miles on it (300myself) and its at 5.5k right now, but I dont know what pipe to choose really[confused] drummer, spec ops, or what ever. I want something to rumble and help performance for around $300-400 if someone has a suggestion.
If I wrap the heads, K&N filter and change exaust should I re-map or what ever?[confused]

Stevenc150
10-05-2009, 04:17 AM
Huge Exhaust Thread (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/General-Motorcycle-Chat/the-big-buell-exhausts-topic) and ASB Exhuast shootout (http://www.americansportbike.com/) - (Click on "XB Exhaust Shootout Test Report" link & Save for soundclips and stats)

jreinke
10-05-2009, 01:09 PM
if u want a tail chop let me know.

bardo688
10-10-2009, 04:06 AM
oh oh anouther noob question...I am going with the drummer exhaust, a K&N, and wrapping the heads and a few other small tune ups...will i need to remap the ecm on it (i dont have a race ecm)

Stevenc150
10-11-2009, 03:53 AM
If you want what is best for the bike in the long run and want to take Full advantage of those mods, then yes you have to get it custom mapped or at the very least get a Race Ecm.

gemmshalfpint
10-11-2009, 08:02 PM
iam a new buell owner as well am still in the trying to tame it stage lol cares me but i love it!

bardo688
10-11-2009, 11:43 PM
how much would a custom map or race ecm cost?
would i be able to do it on my own?

bajabomber87
10-12-2009, 01:53 AM
Where does anyone have dyno proof of the Jardine causing a massive loss of torque? I agree it loses torque when the packing gets empty but when I repacked mine, it brought a good amount back. I got enough torque back that I could lift the front tire up when hitting 2nd gear and also had enough torque to just pop it in 3rd. So dont hate on the Jardine. The packing sucks (5-13k miles max) but I'm thinking of using some sort of steel wool instead of fiberglass.

bardo688
10-17-2009, 09:50 PM
So I would have to take it to someone and have them dyno my bike for the remap?

Jardine or Drummer
280 425[up][down][confused][down][up]

Dragonslayer
10-18-2009, 01:38 PM
Have you seen the threads on Hawk Performance Mufflers? If I were you I'd definately go with a Hawk or a Drummer.

Phazernut
10-18-2009, 03:43 PM
I highly reccomend the Hawk muffler. Less than 1/2 the price of a drummer and outperfomes the Jardine hands down. Can't speak for the drummer but it is a high price to pay to have your own muffler cut up and welded.

bardo688
10-23-2009, 04:08 AM
I have don lots of thinking and i believe ill be having a chat with Randy this winter but being 16 and all the exspense's (terriable speller) are out of my pocket 3.6g for bike and im prolly going to invest anouther 800 in parts and performance

Thanks everyone for the info I cant wait to see what will happen to Buell I can only hope and pray for the best[up][smirk][up]

Kole_DeWoody
10-23-2009, 05:30 AM
Congrats on the bike bro. And unless you are good at metal work i would go with Hawk.

bardo688
11-01-2009, 01:54 AM
ok Hawk exaust for sure now not the drummer but hawk and K&N being only performance mods will i need to get a custom map or dyno my bike?

Stevenc150
11-01-2009, 03:12 AM
being only performance mods will i need to get a custom map or dyno my bike? After installing and a TPS reset I'd burn the Race ECM onto your stock ECM. I understand that Randy will provide you with it. You'll have to get an ECMSpy cable and download the manual and program here: ECMSpy Download (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/ECM-Spy-Download)

bardo688
11-02-2009, 01:10 AM
ok how easy is that...your talking to a 16year old water head...dads a mechanic and doesnt want me messing to much with performance his idea being the more you mess with the more likely your going to screw something up...i already fried 650 rotax in our DSX bombardier because a friends dad made a fuel mixture adjustment ran too rich and now i got no compression havent torn it apart yet[mad][sad]

Stevenc150
11-02-2009, 04:06 AM
Best place to start is to read about the basics and how it works through the manual that comes with the ECMSpy download link I have above. After that, post up specific questions you may have.

You're 16 and used to computers and tech. stuff - you'll be fine, just do your research 'cause it is possible to screw up your ECM.

bardo688
11-03-2009, 04:18 PM
alright thanks steven im sure ill have more questions as i start getting things working and parts coming in this winter

bardo688
11-06-2009, 01:39 PM
ok another noob ?
ok K&N iriduim plugs and Hawk exaust and i do the ECMSpy download that my ecm the download is free?
or would it just be safer to go with a DYNO/How much$$$???

bardo688
01-20-2010, 03:37 AM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/4968_20100119210246_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/4968_20100119211550_L.jpghttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/4968_20100119211633_L.jpg
Well with your guys info and everything ive gotten from this place this is what ive got so far. Iam done for now, but i would like to get a bigger right side scoop if anyone's got ideas on that[smirk]

browland
01-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Where is your left side scoop... And have you looked at the factory right side scoop from the uly rider comfort kit?

delta one
01-20-2010, 03:14 PM
First off the 03 bikes are very durable. I have read all kinds of durability problems and my 03 hasn't had any of them. Second it's good to see you wear the gear. I can't tell if you have boots on or not but I reccomend some. And under jeans leg armor does great, check out the Knox stuff at sportbiketrackgear.

Now for some parts

my favorite mod so far is clubman bars, the bike handles very different with them.

A pipe is a personal thing. I like my D&D but it's loud as hell. A micron will turn it into a monster and I would have one if they didn't regularly go fo 700-900 bucks. Check out special ops for a cheeper muffler mod. He is a bit backed up right now so get in contact as soon as you can to be riding come spring.
Odie (of spec ops) also has heat barriers they help a great deal in the summer, they Lso keep the intake from heating up so you can get colder air in the intake longer.

Bar ends are a very nice mod as well. I have the CRG lane splitters and love them. The ability to fold them is something I use more than I thought I would.

If you can pick up a pulley set from a used bike or one being parted I would do that too. The '03 belts have smaller teeth and are narrower and tend to strip or break entirely.

I have scoops from ASB and they do great. I don't know about the comfort kit scoops personally but they are cheeper.

But most of all just ride the heck out of it.http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/5508_20100115165301_L.jpg

delta one
01-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Oh yea header wrap can sometimes leave your headers looking nasty when you take it off and every once in a while you hear about somebody cracking their header somehow with the wrapping. No idea how they do it but just as a warning. Personally I like the polished look. Take some fine grit sand paper and go to town on it. They will look silver at first and then turn gold as they heat cycle a few times.

Who made the pipe you have now? It looks spec ops hawk or other nodded exhaust. Did you already spring for one and I overlooked your post on it?

(I'm surfing on my phone while my computer is down so it's harder to read it all and I tend to skim instead)

RT Performance
01-20-2010, 11:04 PM
definetly not a stock muffler like the split tips.
ulyess comfort right side scoop and get the left back on it as well

Thorivola
01-21-2010, 01:22 AM
yea, where is your left-hand air scoop? It doesn't look like you did the zero-resistance airbox swap. If you had you don't need the left-hand scoop, but without the left-hand scoop you'll run a little rich otherwise. Not sure how much difference it would actually make though. I'd just mod for the zero-resistance airbox if you don't have one, it does give a small HP increase.

bardo688
01-21-2010, 04:12 AM
Yes I always wear my Jacket Gloves Helmet and HD riding boots when i go out. Being 17 and going from $7g to $2g and next year iam a SR look at KSU so money is very tight Mums a teacher so Iam on my own with my baby. Iam proud to brag though I am very good with my $$$ and I might add a few more things once i get my license. Riding with friends on permit.
The Pipe is a Randy "Hawk"ins pipe he does the dual as a standard, but mine are angled more out and down like a street sweeper. All his pipes pop a little bit on decel but I pull the clutch and coast kills the pop and is easier on the bike.
As for the scoops I want a newer right side and am looking to get a replacement for my left. I got screwed on ebay and didnt realize it was missing till a week after i got it and i went back to the pics and it was missing in them too.
ive been through two so called buell dealers on the phone and the air scoops just dont exist (yes they did have some on the sales floor) so iam planning on riding down and shoving my small size ten up their ass.[mad]
Iam thinking about some new mirrors not barend though. and for the bars mine are good and $$$ is an issue so over indulging isnt happing much.
AND THE PULLY...I know the belts last longer and are better than chains but you think I should get a new Pulley and Belt to have stocked just in case.

bardo688
01-21-2010, 04:23 AM
Thank alot Iam learning all on my own so your advice is greatly appreciated

delta one
01-21-2010, 05:02 AM
With an 03 from eBay I would stock a spare just in case. You don't need the upgrade belt and pulley set on the side just keep an eye out for a good deal if you can get it. ASB stocks the 03 style and you can just get a spare that way. I put 12k on mine before I took it off and it's still like new. So if you ride reasonably it won't be an issue but you never know what the last guy did to it. The upgrade isn't mandatory, I did it for piece of mind. As far as bars, if you are happy don't change. But if you do want to a swap to chrome clubmans it should only be about $30 or so shipped and another $15 to mount. Mirrors are a matter of opinion, find some you like at a price you can afford, worst case, stick with stock because they still work.
Protect your legs too. Chaps pants armor. Whatever you can get.

bardo688
01-22-2010, 04:28 AM
Ill look into the armor for the summer and keep an eye out for a pully and belt. I tend to ride "reasonably" but being a teen atleast once I roll off and get up with traffic on the highway go. maby a hard take of once or so when i havent rode in a long time.
And the only bad thing ive learned is it was prolly wheelied because they (dealership) put new tires on and my suspension was outta whack. It has also been through lots of water. She runs good and most rust has been polished and buffed out.

Willie P
01-22-2010, 08:50 PM
let's see - where to spend money first for a 16 yo rider?...or any rider for that matter.

advanced handling course would be a good start!

bardo688
01-24-2010, 05:03 AM
Scoop, Riders course, and iam done oh and an ECM too

bardo688
04-05-2010, 05:31 AM
Ok trying to save threads the previouse stuff isnt important. Search only found 1 thing.[confused]
I need some openions and a bit of help.
For some reason my Tripometer resets both, any clue?
Why do we have a clock?
Does anyone know if i can still get the pagusus vinal that goes on the tank behind the frame pucks?
And any advice before i ride 2up for the first time...driving and suspension. She is only 110lbs and iam out to have a fun safe ride no goofing
Sorry for my bad spelling:p

Stevenc150
04-05-2010, 02:16 PM
For some reason my Tripometer resets both, any clue? Can be a sign of a battery on the downhill or a loose frame ground/battery connection.

Why do we have a clock? I'm glad we do, can't see a wristwatch so with the clock on bike - I can see which route I can take to work.

Does anyone know if i can still get the pagusus vinal that goes on the tank behind the frame pucks?Matter makes those, his email is buried somewhere in his thread - I'd contact him with that.

And any advice before i ride 2up for the first time...driving and suspension. Take a look at your manual - add your weight & hers and check the settings. Might not have to worry about Compression & Rebound since you're going to take it easy. I would suggest at least adjusting the Pre-load though. (Don't do much 2up riding so maybe someone else will weight in.)

bardo688
04-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Any way to set the clock?
2-up tips?