PDA

View Full Version : Buell Engine Performance Mods?

mnbuellman
07-31-2007, 03:54 AM
Hey I was wondering what are the options for a Buell XB9 City x, in terms of what can be done with the engine? I have a 06 I got a Jardine can, race ecm, and the buell high flow filter. I'm looking at having a set of straight pipes made and powder-coating the headers and the pipe. Anyone had any experience with any NOS kits? Does the Dobeck TFI make a big difference?

thanks

XBWHEELIE
08-01-2007, 01:38 AM
HEY, WHEN YOU PUT THE RACE ECM ON DID YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR RE-CALIBRATED?
THANX HARLEY MARK

LeFox
08-01-2007, 08:07 AM
HEY, WHEN YOU PUT THE RACE ECM ON DID YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR RE-CALIBRATED?
THANX HARLEY MARK

didn't find that shift-lock button yet[smirk]

and yes, it's best that you do that, after which you need to give the ecm time to learn = about 30km @ 3500rpm

LeFox
08-01-2007, 08:09 AM
Anyone had any experience with any NOS kits?
can't say that i have...the turbo is cool, though
but best to reinforce engine parts.

Does the Dobeck TFI make a big difference?
sorry. :(

BuellPartsGuy
08-01-2007, 08:22 AM
Welcome back Captain Caps Lock..... lol :p

mnbuellman
08-03-2007, 03:14 AM
whats the turbo? Havent heard of that for buells b4.

I had the work done at a harley dealer and I do believe thats what they did.

LeFox
08-03-2007, 07:35 AM
whats the turbo? Havent heard of that for buells b4.

I had the work done at a harley dealer and I do believe thats what they did.

http://www.hillbilly-motors.com/assets/images/Turbo_Exhaust.jpg

try google as much info you want

His_and_Her_Buells
08-03-2007, 12:10 PM
I've been a turbo Dodge nut for 25 years. Now I know what I'm doing to the XB when the warranty expires:D

mrdozer2you
08-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Thats sweet. Im not real familiar with turbo's but I know that the one on my buddy's car has an intercooler so it doesn't cook itself. Im sure that all turbo's get pretty hot, so am I wrong in assuming that this one is air cooled like the motor?

His_and_Her_Buells
08-03-2007, 12:36 PM
The intercooler is after the turbo but before the throttle body (or carb) so it doesn't do anything to cool down the turbo just the air going into the engine. Turbos can take a lot of heat and usually have watercooled center sections. But air cooled VWs have been getting turbos for years. Since this would be out in the wind instead of under a hood it's probably not that bad.

LeFox
08-03-2007, 03:47 PM
with intercooler :p
http://www.mototuneusa.com/1DonRoysWildTurboBuell2.jpg

and also, the well known 'hellbender'
http://prostreetblog.com/__oneclick_uploads/2007/04/hellbender.jpg

Das Bolt
08-04-2007, 12:38 AM
Kinda looks like a plumber's nightmare.What would the advantage be over just increasing displacement?

His_and_Her_Buells
08-04-2007, 12:50 AM
Boost Rocks[up]

Das Bolt
08-04-2007, 12:59 AM
No replacement for displacement.

LeFox
08-04-2007, 08:28 AM

engine will be stronger, but you will not have the power increase of the turbo.
but i would not advise a turbo on a stock engine, cause it will not hold that kind of pressure.

mrdozer2you
08-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Don't turbos take time to "spool up" to make the power? It doesn't seem that or rpm range would provide enough time for it to work properly. Wouldn't a supercharger be better?

His_and_Her_Buells
08-04-2007, 01:52 PM

Forced induction is the replacement for displacement. An engine is nothing but an air pump, The more air in and out the more power it makes. Plus bikes are pretty limited on just how much displacement you can put on. An XB wouldn't handle worth a crap with a small block V8. But you could get the similar power from a seriously beefed up 1430 and 20 lbs of boost.

His_and_Her_Buells
08-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Don't turbos take time to "spool up" to make the power? It doesn't seem that or rpm range would provide enough time for it to work properly. Wouldn't a supercharger be better?

Good thoughts but the smaller the turbo the faster it will spool. Also there are VNT turbos that have virtually no lag but not sure if you could put one together small enough to use on our engines. The redline on our bikes is the same as my 8 valve Turbo Dodge and it is in full boost (30 lbs!) by 2500 rpm so I think it is definately doable. If all else fails compressed CO2 can be use to pre spool. What I like most is that it's different from the rest of the world, one of the reasons I ride a Buell in the first place.

Das Bolt
08-06-2007, 01:29 AM
How would power delivery be? Would it be smooth or would you get a sudden surge when you reached operating rpms? NOS. kits are fairly common and don't seem that hard to install.Not really the same as a turbo though.Then again a v8 powered firebolt...with a supercharger.

bahamasair
08-07-2007, 02:54 AM
Turbo if sized right will have very little lag and The power delivery will be fairly linear. The main things you would need to do would be lower the compression ratio, Forged bottom end and pistons. Im not sure how strong the bottom end of a buell is now but you might be able to get away with dished pistons to lower the compression ratio and run low boost. 30 psi boost is a pretty serious frigging setup lol. Id like to run lower boost and not use an intercooler if feasable. I have it on my list to do but Im not even researching it till I finish my 76 Vette. I was going to go twin turbo on the vette but came across a 496ci I couldnt refuse thats putting out 700+ hp already so shelved the turbo plan. Turbos are constant free hp after they are installed. Its not like nos where you are only punching when you have a full bottle.

LeFox
08-07-2007, 07:15 AM
13psi boost should give you 120hp(easy) on a xb9, when set-up correctly

mrdozer2you
08-07-2007, 12:31 PM
That sounds perfect [up]

Das Bolt
08-08-2007, 01:09 AM
You have got me rethinking my whole system of beliefs.So basicaly your saying maybe with little modifacation,except the turbo and a lower compression ratio,you could gain +/- 40% power increase? Is this cost efective versus just increasing displacement and the usual mods.to acomplish the same goal? In other words,best bang for the buck.Also has anybody rode a turbo bike before? would it be reliable? Run well on pump gas?One last question,can the whine of a turbo, no matter how powerfull, invoke the same emotional response as the roar of a big Harly?

His_and_Her_Buells
08-08-2007, 05:58 AM
Pump gas: yes, 93 octane
Bang for the buck: maybe, depending on how much of your own wrenching you do.
emotional response to turbo whine: I like it, plus you still have the Harley roar at idle and low or no boost conditions (boost whine is only there when accellerating)

just my $.02

LeFox
08-08-2007, 07:08 AM
So basicaly your saying maybe with little modifacation,except the turbo and a lower compression ratio,you could gain +/- 40% power increase? Is this cost efective versus just increasing displacement and the usual mods.to acomplish the same goal?
i'm no talking howlong your engine will last, but considering the powergain, i think the turbo would be cheaper.

Also has anybody rode a turbo bike before?
yep...watch the throttle, cause you'll see nothing but air! :p

Run well on pump gas?
why wouldn't it, it just pumps more air into the engine.

One last question,can the whine of a turbo, no matter how powerfull, invoke the same emotional response as the roar of a big Harly?
look & listen to this and tell me what you think!
buell-xb9-turbo (http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h139/ezracing900/?action=view&current=000_0446MOV.flv)

His_and_Her_Buells
08-08-2007, 12:11 PM
look & listen to this and tell me what you think!
buell-xb9-turbo (http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h139/ezracing900/?action=view&current=000_0446MOV.flv)

Damn I can't wait until my warranty runs out![cool]

Das Bolt
08-08-2007, 11:35 PM
That was impressive!Looks like I will have to give this some real thought.

BuellPastor
08-09-2007, 03:19 AM
Wow. That is incredible.

mnbuellman
08-09-2007, 08:47 PM
ok so tell us were do we get this kit or have this done at?

thanks

Das Bolt
08-10-2007, 01:01 AM
Hillbilly motors has some nice stuff but most of the web site seemed to be in german,look at the gallery if you check them out some real nice bikes there.

LeFox
08-10-2007, 11:56 AM
will have a look if i can find some in the u.s.

mnbuellman
08-17-2007, 04:58 AM
Hey his and hers- Is that your bike? Lefox any luck?

His_and_Her_Buells
08-17-2007, 09:38 AM
Hey his and hers- Is that your bike?

I wish! Mine's all stock except for a Special Ops pipe. I've got 4 years of warranty to wait out until I do anything major like a turbo. But it will happen eventually:D

LeFox
08-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Lefox any luck?

i got some links...
rb-racing (http://rbracing-rsr.com/index.htm)
turborick (http://www.turborick.com/turbobike/archive/0842.html)
turbo-buell-info-forum (http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=152752&page=1)
turbo-harley (http://www.turboyourharley.com/home.asp)

Das Bolt
08-18-2007, 12:47 AM
Thank's LeFox,you realy have a knack for finding links.The best I found was called mr.turbo,they seemed to mostly work with Kawasaki though.I checked out your links,looks like 130HP is about average before you get past the point of reliability,past that they talked about water injection and race fuel mixes.Now ,I understand you can make the the same power with a turbo 900CC as a 1400CC f.i. motor but is it the best way to go?I haven't priced it out yet but a big bore kit from zipper's performance seems more practical,if less unique.The price of the turbo kits looked like about $4000. on average without engine work,if I can get performance/price info from zipper's I'll post it.

mnbuellman
08-18-2007, 07:03 PM
I sent an email to Hillybilly motors and here is the response I got.

Dear Eric,

my staff quote me your e-Mail about the Turbokit.

Turbo or Supercharger is one of the things I still do personal. In the past all Kits I builded were one of a kind, customized what the customer like to do with it. From show to race.

We are in a discussion to build an XB Turbokit in an issue of 10 or 25 units this winter.

If we do that, the launch of the Kit will be on the Fighterama Bikefair at begin of November. The Price will be around 5000 US$ as a bolt on assembly.

The Kit will be able to deliver 0,8 bar pressure and comes with a overpressurevalve what will open at 0,3 bar. That means you can use it with the original Compressionratio. The increase of HP will be that way not more than 10 HP but there will be no extra enginemodifications nessecary. The enginelifetime will not go down. For show and a bit Tuning this is a good solution.

If you like the full power, with rising the pressure the HP rise, but there you come quickly to point were you have to build up a real turboengine wit low compression pistons etc.

Best regards

Jens
www.hillbilly-motors.com

BadS1
08-19-2007, 12:29 PM
As cool as it looks I'd for that kind of money send the motor to Brian Nallin at Revolution Performance or Terry Parsley in California for there cam's a 1250 kit slight head work and Direct Link system let them tune it. It would be a solid turn key reliable package and net you 105-110 tire HP. And you'd have alot less in expense.:D

LeFox
08-19-2007, 08:29 PM
but no whistle :p

zombieBUELLer
08-19-2007, 09:10 PM
just add one of these (http://www.akrondesign.com/cgi-bin/foundation/5-N1040.html) .. problem solved!

mnbuellman
08-20-2007, 04:42 AM
I say its only money!

Das Bolt
08-21-2007, 12:25 AM
True,food,shelter,utilities...what are they compared to a fast bike? But realy if I'm gonna spend the mortgage money it's gotta be worth it.5 grand for 10 horse?Seems like a turbo is something you do after you get all you can from a normal motor.Then you could get bigger H.P. gains from the same investment.Better horsepower to cash ratio.

LeFox
08-21-2007, 07:36 AM
yea, but all this is for no other changes to the bike.

could be a problem if you change engine parts 1st, it will not be compatible with a stronger turbo-kit[smirk]

but it's just one of those things you can drool at...life would be boring if you could get everything you dream of :p

Das Bolt
08-22-2007, 12:12 AM
Your right,what fun would it be if it all came easy? I see what your saying about just installing a turbo on a stock motor for simple power and then building the motor up later if you want big gains.But what I was thinking is building a strong motor and then all I would have to do if I went with a turbo is change pistons to lower compression.That way I could go right to a larger turbo.But I dunno I never worked with a turbo.

buelltool
09-24-2007, 10:35 PM
Big bore kit...that's all i gotta say......

alemonkey
09-29-2007, 09:02 PM
The Monster big bore kit here (http://www.richardnallinmotorsports.com/XL-BuellPackages.html) looks tempting, especially since it's only 800 bucks. Not sure what the required machine work would cost. Anyone have an idea what kind of power you'd expect from one of these?

Buellme
09-30-2007, 12:08 AM
5 grand for 10 horse?

i would hope that a turbo would add more horse power than that...

but no whistle

haha not much beats the whistle of a bov on a turbo...

if i had money (i dont) i'd look into a turbo...

just for fun here a funny video of a turbo'd busa... enjoy..:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoG7-wVgD84

His_and_Her_Buells
09-30-2007, 06:52 AM
haha not much beats the whistle of a bov on a turbo...

not to nitpick here but it's not the BOV that whistles, it's the turbo itself the natural sound of the BOV is more like that of compressed air being expelled through a pressure relief valve. There are BOVs specially made to whistle but it's gimmicky and not necessary.

Buellme
09-30-2007, 07:23 AM
not to nitpick here but it's not the BOV that whistles, it's the turbo itself the natural sound of the BOV is more like that of compressed air being expelled through a pressure relief valve. There are BOVs specially made to whistle but it's gimmicky and not necessary.

your absolutely rite... lol i typed before i thought. hahaha now that im thinkin about it. Blow Off Valve.. ha! i wasnt even close. thanks for the correction.

n1hlist
05-02-2008, 01:19 AM
Hah,

True, as far as the whistle of a bov. However the lout bovs, (not whistling ones) sound awsome.

I_want_one
08-16-2008, 05:15 AM
From what i know about turbos, a 7psi boost should increase power anywhere from 40 to 50 percent. The lower the compression ratio the more boost you can run safely. But recently i've heard that the higher compression motor running lower boost levels is a better bet, when not under boost the motor isnt sluggish and the higher exhaust velocity spools the turbine quicker. My Syclone has a turbo and when i had the motor rebuilt with forged pistons and rods, i had the compression reduced so i could run higher boost levels(which i never did), now the truck doesn't feel nearly as quick as it once was with the same 14.7 psi.
My only experience with turbos comes from my v6, so whether or not any of this holds true to a v-twin I'm uncertain.
As for blow off valves, they do sound kind of cool but without it sounds just as cool i think.

bad juju
08-16-2008, 05:20 AM
my step dad runs the mps nos system on his xb12r!im not a big fan of it but whatever makes the owner of the bike happy is what counts.im more of an engine man.that is were i think the real horse power comes from.the nos is a head turner at the bar though no doubt about that!