PDA

View Full Version : Checking Oil Issues

JSW07
08-02-2007, 07:00 AM
I seem to be having a problem with this checking oil thing! I did a 3000k bike trip and my oil was fine the whole way, then one day it was WAY low, so I added...it still confused me because it was great for like 1500k (stayed putt). So I asked a guy at my dealer and he said that Buells have a tendency to over pack, which means that if you are riding hard it pumps all the oil into the heads, so if you check your oil straight off the highway you will prolly get an incorrect reading. So when the heck are you supposed to check oil? When the fan is still running seems to be too hot, when it quits its to late...what the heck do you guys do to keep consistent?
I have found that the angle I put my dipsitck in makes a difference? Am I crazy or is this an exteremly hard machine to keep a check on oil with?

LeFox
08-02-2007, 08:53 AM
when the fan runs, the engine & oil is pretty hot.
you can let it rest for a bit, oil doesn't cool down that fast.
so if you check after a decent ride and let the bike sit for 15/30 minutes...then check.

as long as the oil isn't boiling and you give the it a chance to rest, it should be ok.

mrdozer2you
08-02-2007, 12:49 PM
yes, wait like lefox said, you will get the best reading.

Refresh
08-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Do you check the levels when the bike is on the side stand or when it is standing upright? Sorry dealership never explained that part.

His_and_Her_Buells
08-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Owners manual says "on level ground, on the sidestand, with engine off." Also after wiping off screw it completely back in before removing again to check level.

Yeah, my 100th post!

zombieBUELLer
08-02-2007, 10:24 PM
"on level ground, on the side stand, with engine off."

thats how i am checking mine... so, how "normal" is for my bike to NOT be using any oil?

Das Bolt
08-03-2007, 12:41 AM
It's kinda a pain to screw the dipstick in and then unscrew it again to check the reading,plus when you unscrew it I think it sloshes around and that could give an inacurate reading.So what I did was take a zip tie and loop it so it can't accidently fall in and marked it to match the dipstick,then just tuck it away somewhere till next time.

LeFox
08-03-2007, 06:55 AM
so, how "normal" is for my bike to NOT be using any oil?
if it was using that much oil, you would see some pretty blue smoke coming out of the exhaust.

when in doubt, you can always check the plugs

zombieBUELLer
08-03-2007, 10:24 AM
if it was using that much oil, you would see some pretty blue smoke coming out of the exhaust.

when in doubt, you can always check the plugs

right. what i'm saying is that from other peoples posts there bikes lose or use oil. i haven't had to add any oil. granted i only have 2600 miles on my my bike so maybe it just doesn't apply to me yet. and i've changed my oil twice.

anyway. yes. checking your oil can seem tricky i guess.

LeFox
08-03-2007, 03:28 PM
never had oil probs with my buell so far...

BuellPastor
08-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Help! Im trying to change my oil and it isn't coming out. Strange. What am I doing wrong?

BuellPastor
08-03-2007, 08:34 PM
I have the filler cap off and the drain plug out. Some oil came out, but much is still in the bike.

LeFox
08-03-2007, 10:23 PM
something blocking the drain?

try to get some air in (twist with a straw or something in the drainhole)