PDA

View Full Version : vehicle diagnostic scan tool/directlink ecm remaping tool

zombieBUELLer
08-02-2007, 10:12 PM
has anyone purchased this? pro's/con's? i'm seriously considering buying one.

i'm also thinking about picking up the directlink ecm remapping tool. pro's/con's? other suggestions?

is it correct that the stock ecm can be remapped? or did i misunderstand something?

LeFox
08-03-2007, 06:50 AM
buying these thing is no problem. but you have to know what you're doing.
and without a dyno, you can't do a thing with it.

stock can be remapped.
you need to buy the key, software & cable.

DIRECTLINK Race Performance Kit

Now it is possible to reprogram the standard ECM. No more add-on boxes and thuss trouble free. No error codes. Can be used from a simple 1450cc stage 1 map to a radical big engine with a lot of hiperformance parts. Works also in combination with the new closed loop systems. For example 2006 HD Dyna and 2007 HD models.

With DirectLink you can even disable the use of the intake air valve and active exhaust valve on HDI models without triggering an enginefailurecode. So you don't need those trickboxes or resistors anymore.

Advantages for the owner of the bike:
· He / she only needs one hardware key.
No need for different cartridges for every upgrade!
· The ECU can be reprogrammed as often as you want
· The bike can be tuned to it's full potential: smoother running engine,
more power, more torque, better fuel mileage
· Less chance of error codes
· The same hardware key can be used when the engine is upgraded.
For example other exhaust, camshafts, cylinder / piston bore, throttle body
etc etc etc

zombieBUELLer
08-03-2007, 10:32 AM
i'm definitely going to buy the VDST. just for the TPS reset function alone. just wondered if anyone else had purchased one and how they felt about it.

as far as the directlink. i may go with something else. since i dont have my own dyno.

thanks

LeFox
08-03-2007, 03:31 PM
try ecmspy (http://www.bike-pix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20340&highlight=pinout)

good system & support
you can do everything with it.
but make sure you don't do anything wrong, cause it's a pretty powerful tool.
the wrong move could mess up you engine.

stevensue
08-03-2007, 08:49 PM
What computer operating systems will the VDST work with?

I have Windows XP SP2 but don't want to drag the computer down to the garage. I also have an older computer that has Windows 98 on it. If the VDST will work on Windows 98 that would be great!

LeFox
08-03-2007, 10:21 PM
don't think 98 will cut it...but i haven't tried it, so i don't know for sure.

Das Bolt
08-04-2007, 12:23 AM
Can you use this on more than one bike?Or is it one remapping tool per bike.I have access to a dyno,but the shop does not work on enough Buells to invest in the software.They said if I got the program they would be able to tune the bike.I'd hate to buy it then not be able to use it if I sold the bike.

MrOrange
08-04-2007, 05:50 AM
I got the VDST in April. I believe I got mine at American Sport Bike. With the new exhaust, the 1000 mi self service, and one more time trying to smooth out the idle it is nice to be able to reset the TPS with out having to rely on anyone. You can also watch your ignition timing and a bunch of parameters that normally you would have to take your bike to the dealer for. I have a 03 XB9s in which I run the VDST on an old Dell laptop with Windows 2000.

His_and_Her_Buells
08-04-2007, 06:07 AM
VDST is 1 bike only. ecmspy is free (all you have to do is make up a cable) and works on multiple bikes. If I had access to a dyno I would definately go with the ecmspy. I have 2 XB's in the garage now so a $500+ investment to tune both bikes plus more if I get another in the future is insane to me. Just my $.o2

MrOrange
08-04-2007, 06:34 AM
H&H

You got a web site for the ECMSPY? I take it is the software only.

LeFox
08-04-2007, 08:45 AM
You got a web site for the ECMSPY? I take it is the software only.
^^^^^
look up

Currently Online Posts: 200
try ecmspy

good system & support
you can do everything with it.
but make sure you don't do anything wrong, cause it's a pretty powerful tool.
the wrong move could mess up you engine.

stevensue
08-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Anyone know what the dealers use? If the VDST is one bike only, no wonder there are reports of the dealer not doing the TPS reset.

His_and_Her_Buells
08-04-2007, 01:38 PM
I believe it is "Scanalyzer" A HD product

zombieBUELLer
08-05-2007, 03:12 AM
VDST (http://www.technoresearch.com/)

the VDST will work with win98 but they are having trouble with it working on VISTA from what i've read.

the VDST will work with more than one bike. (i.e. you can use it on your buell.. and anyone elses buell.) it does have a hardware key/dongle that you have to have to run the software.

it's the directlink ecm remapping software that "locks" to the first ecm you use it with. so that is one bike only.

this ecmspy seems dangerous.. sounds like fun!

stevensue
08-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Thanks [up]

His_and_Her_Buells
08-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Unless I'm misreading something you have to get the Pro version ($849) to do more than 1 bike. The standard version ($195) is 1 bike only.

LeFox
08-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Unless I'm misreading something you have to get the Pro version ($849) to do more than 1 bike. The standard version ($195) is 1 bike only.

if i'm not mistaking, the software works on several bikes of 1 brand, but per bike you need a usb-key.

so if you get it for a buell, you can do several buell's if for every bike you get an additional usb-key.

but if you want to do it, do it good...ecmspy has alot more options. and, not to forget, you get feedback and support from buell riders, racers, tuners.

zombieBUELLer
08-06-2007, 12:10 AM
the ecm spy is very interesting. very!

are you personally using this Lefox? and did you make your own cables? or buy one from another UKBEG member?

i've only read half of the posts as well as the ecmspy faq and havent read about anyone making cables and selling them.

i'll keep reading.

LeFox
08-06-2007, 07:12 AM
nah, i'm not using it...don't know enough of that stuff and i don't want to mess up my ecm.

got a few guys i know who started working with it, though and one made a cable himself. think he modded a cable of a nokia phone.
but he also bought one from ukbeg, so i'm not sure if his works or not.

Tork
08-26-2007, 11:57 PM
VDST = Multiple bikes
Direct Link = Only one bike per USB key
ECM Spy = See this link for tips on software download and cable fabrication: http://www.buelletinboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3095&page=4

zombieBUELLer
09-13-2007, 11:19 PM
i just ordered the connector and cable to make my own cable to be able to use ECMspy (http://www.ecmspy.com/).

i downloaded the ECMspy program. i cant wait to use it!

PROGRAM (http://www.bike-pix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20340)
CONNECTOR (http://tinyurl.com/28hhc6)
CABLE (http://tinyurl.com/25pbc7)

Bloose
09-18-2007, 05:26 AM
I too have downloaded this program. Thank you very much for the links! I didn't know exactly where I was going to get a connector but I have now ordered one! I have the software downloaded and just got the cable yesterday. Maybe I'll have some time to play with it this weekend.

I started up the software just to look at it and it looks great! Hopefully it's as easy to use as it looks to be.

If you run into any issues please post them.

B-loose

Bloose
09-23-2007, 07:58 AM
All I can say is WOW!

I have it working and it works just amazing. Setting up the cable, loading the drivers, and getting the software to work with it was a little work but nothing too tough. The software itself is just plain awesome! Simple, easy to use and understand.

A TPS Reset is so simple. For less money than one trip to the dealer for a TPS reset you can make your own cable and do it any time you want. In addition you can reconfigure your fuel mapping and lots of other stuff. Also you can save your current mapping very easily so if you make any changes you can go right back to where you started if there are any problems.

It was mentioned that a Dyno is a must but that's not exactly true. Another option is to instal a wide band O2 sensor and a logger. Then you can log the info from your TPS, RPM, Speed and O2 and make adjustments to the fuel map as needed. It is true that just making adjustments by just guessing where and how much to change can get you into trouble and fast, but there is another option besides the dyno. The thing I like about the wide band O2 setup is then you can monitor and adjust any time you need to.

This is exactly the solution I was looking for. I would have bought one of the other set ups but nothing ticked me off more than the high price just for the ability to use it with only one ECM. ECM spy works with any number of ECM's and the software is free. Can't beat that with a stick!

B

JSW07
09-23-2007, 10:15 PM
Anybody know of some software that will allow me to do a TPS reset via apple computer?

BuellPastor
09-25-2007, 02:03 AM
Yes, an Apple would be good. Anyone coming to Florida this winter? I really want to do this myself, but I don't want to ruin my bike.

zombieBUELLer
09-27-2007, 09:59 PM
buellpastor...

as soon as i get my cable put together and fully understand what im doing with ECMspy i would gladly ride up to (orlando? right?) help you out!

Bloose
09-28-2007, 05:25 PM
Zombie,

Just wait till you get a chance to get it plug into the bike and working. It's super straight forward to operate the software. Of course fooling with fuel maps can be a little tough to get just right but if you upload the map that's currently in the bike you will have no problem going back to where you started.

B