PDA

View Full Version : Had a bad crash yesterday

Snopro440
10-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Well, the law of averages caught up with ne last night.... I was riding home on a rural county road in Wisconsin and a farm truck pulled off a cross street right in front of me. I had nowhere to go, and got on the brakes as hard as possible. I ended up somehow highsiding , and the bike nailed the truck right behind the front wheel. I slid down the road, and missed the front of the truck somehow. I ended up on the centerline of the road, and once again, it was amazing that oncoming cars didn't hit me. I couldn't move due to shock. I took the ambulance ride and all that is wrong is my shoulder is pretty much blown up and I'll need surgery to fix it. Some road rash, but not too bad because it was under 40 degrees and I had 3 layers on. My arai helmet has deep gouges on the side, my sidi boots are nearly worn through the leather and my leather speed and strength jacked is scuffed on the shoulder. My buell rain gear is absolutely torn to shreds. I can't stress enough how much I believe that my safety gear saved my life. I buy the best gear I can afford, and it just saved my butt! I'll try to post a pic of the helmet, boots and motorcycle in a couple days. I haven't seen the bike yet, but I'm told that the truck was on top of it, with the wheel on top of the bike. I'm not sure I really want to see it, but curiousity will get the best of me. In the meantime, I'll just keep popping pain pills like tic-tacs and watching the walls move....

samiam901
10-18-2009, 02:07 PM
Sorry to hear glad ur ok though. Enjoy those pills[up]

Buell_Cru
10-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Glad to hear you made it out alive brother....[up]

Another one beats the odds.:D

polkiejoe
10-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Take care of your self bud!

veeemdoubleu
10-18-2009, 03:42 PM
oh no you crashing collectors items?? [confused]

Snopro440
10-18-2009, 03:57 PM
I was all doped up and the dr tells me that HD killed buell. I thought he was the one that was drugged. Now I see it's true. Crap......

ROJO
10-18-2009, 04:20 PM
glad your okay Snopro440.

Snopro440
10-18-2009, 08:22 PM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/4332_20091018131743_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/4332_20091018131802_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/4332_20091018131824_L.jpg

I learned that the truck involved was a full sized dumptruck loaded with cement and rock. The Firebolt took the front wheel out of the truck, so the truck fell on the bike, crushing it. It doesn't look as bad in the photos because you can't see that the frame and forks are bent in. I feel really lucky...

Edit: Fixed Pics

dave_xb12r
10-18-2009, 08:32 PM
I can't believe you slid right by the truck! wow that was lucky! It's good to hear that you were wearing your gear, just another ATGATT story.

What's next? I understand that you'll have to wait until after surgery to see how functional you are, but if you are, are you getting back on the bike? and if so, what kind of bike next?

Snopro440
10-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Oh, I will definately be getting another bike. I guess I don't know what to replace it with. If I find a great deal on a new XB12R or an 1125R I'd consider it, even though they are going away. Otherwise a Triumph Daytona 675 or possibly a Ducati I guess. I am actually already scanning the local dealers to see whats around. What can I expect to pay for a new 09 firebolt or a new 08 or 09 1125r?? Are prices falling on the new ones because they are discontinuing them? btw, what does atgatt mean?

stopie20
10-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Soooo... You did go buy your lottery ticket right?

Glad you made it, sucks about the bike though.

maybebuell
10-18-2009, 10:13 PM
heal up quick good luck to you

RichP99
10-18-2009, 10:34 PM
btw, what does atgatt mean?

All
The
Gear
All
The
Time

Glad your OK [up]

kajer
10-18-2009, 11:18 PM
sorry to hear man! Glad you're alright! When I was in the hospital, I had some IV pain meds that made me fly around the hospital on my magic carpet, cheered me up. :)

May your recover be as quick and pain-free as possible!!!

screamineagle
10-18-2009, 11:41 PM
Snortem for more effect. :D

poppinsexz
10-19-2009, 12:41 AM
Since Buell is no longer. The dealers are getting rebates and selling 1125's from 4000-7000

Snopro440
10-19-2009, 02:17 AM
Really???? I'll have to stop at the Buell dealers in the Twin Cities!!!

PorcelainRabbit
10-19-2009, 04:15 AM
two days after buell was no more i layed my baby down too :( not bad tho. Back road at around 45mph took a curve to find the creek bridge covered in mud. i slammed on the brakes hard and only went down at about 15mph. im okay and only broke my shifter and bar end. probably gettin new frame pucks too :/ glad to hear your okay tho. and if you want to grab your shifter off if its not broke id paypal you a quik 20 dollars for it.
or anyone else for that matter. shifter that will fit 04 xb12s. i think they are the same on the firebolt if im not mistaken, and i dont need the whole linkage just the shifter.

and yes. atgatt! id have a bloody shoulder if it wasnt for my shift jacket. luckily im ok. hope to see you back on the roads soon Snopro

Stevenc150
10-19-2009, 04:36 AM
With the abolition of Buell as-of-now, we're a dying breed anyway. Great to hear you're okay bro. So many don't get that 2nd chance. [sad]

spymac
10-19-2009, 05:01 AM
Glad to see you're OK

mk2_20v
10-19-2009, 03:02 PM
wow that had to hurt..atleast u walked away from that one.feel better soon

Snopro440
10-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Sorry, the shifter and linkages were ripped off during the crash. Sheared the pegs off too on the left side.

PorcelainRabbit
10-19-2009, 07:28 PM
its fine i think i found one. thank you tho. hope you recover soon!

Cantrell
10-20-2009, 02:21 AM
Yes crashes suck and suck a lot; I too went down hard last month and hairlined my hip. However, posts like this reinforce the ATGATT rule (thanks Dave) and anyone who doesn't follow it will after they take spill hard. If its too hot for your gear, its too hot to ride.

Do ALL of your physical therapy SnoPro and let us know what bike you go with next.

hula Buell
10-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Hot or not we gear up and sweat a little till the trade winds wistle through the body armor and helmets.Thank God you are here to ride again...

Snopro440
10-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Yeah, Every minute that goes by, it makes me feel even more lucky. I walked out of my Orthapedic surgeons office right after he told me I needed to have surgery to fix it, and that I would be out of work for 2 months, and you know what I thought?? I smelled the smell of fall in the air, and was lucky to be smelling it. It's huge for me, cuz I usually shrug stuff off like that.

I paid as much I could afford for the safety gear, and got great gear, which saved my life. Arai Corsair helmet, Speed and Strength leather jacket, Sidi boots.. My friends thought I was nuts for paying $750 for a helmet and for wearing motorcycle boots. Now they think I am smart for having worn them!! The guy that was driving the truck was really decent, and admitted complete fault to the police and to the insurance. It just makes things go smoother. I am sure that everything will work out well in the end. I am off to have my surgery on Thursday, and then its all going up from there. My work is awesome, my Sgt, Captain and my Chief have all called me to see if there is anything that they can do to make things better. I feel bad because my co-workers will now not really be able to get time off until I get back. They are jokingly teasing me telling me that I am on vacation while they pull my weight, what a great group of guys!!

I am not sitting here telling everyone else that they need to wear the gear or not. I think that it's silly not to, but we all are responsible for our own actions and choices. What I would say though, is that if you do choose to wear the gear, do it right. Buy the best gear you can afford. Your bikes cost $10,000, Why spend $100 on a helmet to protect you? I probably would have nopt sustained any more serious head injuries with a lesser quality helmet, but with a cheap jacket, my shoulder would be destroyed. The leather is nearly worn through, and the padding and armor in the shoulder certainly saved me from more serious injury. My boot was nearly worn through. Sneakers would have been burned through, and I would definately have injuries there. It's what happened for me, and maybe someone will decide to buy the slightly more expensive helmet, gloves, boots or jacket because of this, which is what I am hoping.

Thanks a lot for the encouragement and thoughts, I appreciate knowing that fellow Buellers are looking out for me!!

kc7zrb
10-21-2009, 06:04 PM
quote:{I learned that the truck involved was a full sized dumptruck loaded with cement and rock. The Firebolt took the front wheel out of the truck, so the truck fell on the bike,}

OMG buell makes some stout bikes. too bad frames is smashed, part her out. we'll all hopfully learn from these incidents and be prepared for the time we go down. hope your recovery is smooth and u can get back on a bike soon. be careful out there.

strmvt
10-21-2009, 08:57 PM
and I thought my little drop the other day was rough man I'm glad your ok. Good thing is that with Buells as cheap as they are atm unfortunately you can get a new one with the ins payoff

agfish18
10-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Glad to hear that you are OK. I almost rethink riding everytime I see a bike related accident here, but then I cant function on a daily basis with out wanting to ride, so I dont think I could give up bikes.

buellet proof
10-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Good thing for all that gear you had on. get better soon.

onelogue
10-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Hey Snopro44,

I feel dumb like an ass for asking but if you do decide to sell the cowl ill be willing to buy it. My bike was wrecked too, and with only liability im trying to slowly fix mine.

Snopro440
10-22-2009, 12:45 AM
the plastic is pretty much toast because the dump truck collapsed on it. I don't think I will buy it back cuz I can only use one arm, so stripping parts off would be pretty hard. Don't feel bad about asking abt the parts, its a legit question!!!

onelogue
10-23-2009, 04:43 AM
Gotcha no worries! Yeah it looked like the back seat cowl was ok but i really couldn't tell from the pictures so ill take your word for it.

Dang hopefully it's not your right arm ;):D hahah Keep popping the pain pills and good luck with the surgery buddy.