PDA

View Full Version : Xenon bulbs for a Lightning

mrdozer2you
08-07-2007, 03:08 PM
I was looking for those super bright Xenon gas bulbs for my 06 Lightning. I found them at my local auto parts store. They said that all I need to do to run them is put in a new wiring harness. Is this accurate? Will these work without the new harness?, I cant remember if these bulbs are higher wattage or just appear brighter. Any input would help. Thanks

LeFox
08-07-2007, 08:34 PM
i don't know if those at the auto parts store can handle the buell vibrations.

also, most kits also show a "balast" which should be included.
wattage will differ with colour temp.

06xb9r
08-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Are those HID kits? because I know that you can buy regular bulbs that are Xenon filled.

I don't think you should have to change the wiring harness unless you are converting to HID lamps.

mrdozer2you
08-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Yeah they're the HID ones. The same as on alot of newer and usually "high end" autos.

i don't know if those at the auto parts store can handle the buell vibrations.

I keep hearing this, any car going down the road is getting similar vibrations from the road, I find it hard to buy that they wouldnt work. I know people who have them in old Muscle cars that vibrate alot more than my Buell.

also, most kits also show a "balast" which should be included.
I didn't see that but they did offer a new wiring harness. Maybe its the same thing? I dont know.

LeFox
08-08-2007, 03:09 PM
the upper box is the ballast thingy
http://www.hids4u.co.uk/dbimages/hids4u%20kit%20037.jpg

how's the heat of those things?
can a standard headlight mirror take that? i can't understand why this option is so expensive on vehicles, that it would only consist of a different bulb.

but let me know how it turns out, don't have any experience with it.

mrdozer2you
08-08-2007, 07:23 PM
Me either, its why im asking :p

mnbuellman
08-09-2007, 08:49 PM
were do we get a kit to fit on our bikes?

mrdozer2you
08-10-2007, 02:10 AM
Im checking with Autozone, they said they have it. H7 is the bulb size on the Lightnings right? If so then yeah they got it, special order and they havent been able to find a cost as of yet. I guess im the first to ask for em [up] they told me that they needed to contact the MFG to get a price and make sure it would all work

LeFox
08-10-2007, 12:02 PM
ok the kit my friends advise for the conversion is:
http://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/webshop/artikelen/AFA8ACF3-323E-44A3-B157-8AD698FF562E.jpg
http://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/webshop/artikelen/DF06C831-4518-41F4-B13F-BE9A14796893.jpg

which is about 113€ (155$) and is indeed a H7 kit

and you should try ebay here, as they are offered there...

mrdozer2you
08-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Yeah thats it, now do I change the headlamp housing as well? or will the stock work?

LeFox
08-10-2007, 02:28 PM
nope, just the kit...they didn't do anything else.

dunno how it is in the long-run, though...longest one is fitted is about 4 months.

BuellPastor
08-10-2007, 06:04 PM
LeFox you really are an amazing source of info.

LeFox
08-10-2007, 10:31 PM
LeFox you really are an amazing source of info.

ty, i do waste alot of my time reading up on forums :D (jk ofcourse :p)

BuellPastor
08-11-2007, 02:43 AM
here is another link

http://www.xenonlink.com/product_info.php?products_id=73

mrdozer2you
08-11-2007, 12:24 PM
thanks Rev [up]

mnbuellman
08-11-2007, 10:53 PM
hey paster on that link u provided it looks like the motorcycle kit only has 1 bulb in it. Would you need 2 kits for the buells or would the automotive kit work?

LeFox
08-12-2007, 08:22 AM
hey paster on that link u provided it looks like the motorcycle kit only has 1 bulb in it. Would you need 2 kits for the buells or would the automotive kit work?

if you wanna have 2 burning lights on you buell all the time, remember that the mirrors are different from eachother..

and...i think a xenon high beam does not exist, so why change 2 and lose the beam?

BuellPastor
08-12-2007, 08:41 PM
I ll have to find that link. I got it from another list, but, as usual, I'm sure LeFox is correct about low beam/high beam.

mnbuellman
08-13-2007, 04:57 AM
im kinda confused? Are you saying that u should keep one the the stock headlights and use the other for the HID or just rip out both and just only use one HID all the time? Is it possible to use 2 all the time? I would think thats the way to go.

LeFox
08-13-2007, 08:21 AM
Is it possible to use 2 all the time? I would think thats the way to go.

yes you can use both, but you'll have to change the mirror of the lh one, since it has a different shape.

and i don't think there's a beam integrated in the xenon bulbs, so you will lose the highbeam.
but that's just a quess, since i don't have any experiance with the hid kit. but it's something to check before installing.

mrdozer2you
08-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Why change the mirror? Don't the headlamp housings adjust? If they do just point the left down slightly so its not hitting the eyes of passing vehicles. Make it so that it points just beyond the low beam.

LeFox
08-13-2007, 02:35 PM
think the left mirror is designed for the high-beam. so these don't take the blinding part into consideration...or am i mistaking [confused]

thought the idea of changing the bulbs was for a better view...why face the lights down then?

mrdozer2you
08-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Not down, just slightly above the low beam, and run both simultaneously.

LeFox
08-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Not down, just slightly above the low beam, and run both simultaneously.

yea, but what about the high-beam then?

mrdozer2you
08-13-2007, 08:53 PM
yea, but what about the high-beam then?

Thats the one im talking about

LeFox
08-14-2007, 07:10 AM
lol...

yea, but if you are facing it downwards (just above low) you will no longer have one. [smirk]

mnbuellman
08-15-2007, 04:26 AM
Ok with this link that pastor gave. Im kinda interested in the 8000k kit but which one? Motorcycle kit or the automobile kit for 2 lamps?

http://www.xenonlink.com/product_info.php?products_id=73

mrdozer2you
08-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Im thinkin thats the only difference. Maybe the company thinks bikes only have 1 bulb? [smirk]

mnbuellman
08-18-2007, 07:09 PM
anyone know if the bikes electrical system would handle one or 2 kits? Im no mechanic!

His_and_Her_Buells
08-19-2007, 01:05 AM
The sight claims 35% less power consumption. If that is in reference to stock lighting than the electrical system should be able to handle it ok. Since it is still 12V it should draw 35% fewer amps.

LeFox
08-19-2007, 08:24 PM
say, dozer...you got those things installed yet?

mrdozer2you
08-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Its on my wish list....maybe the misses will let me get them for Christmas :D

Thulsadoom
08-20-2007, 09:00 PM
That was the most confusing thread I have ever read. So do you lose highbeam if you get an automotive kit for your car? I understand that one of our lights is low and the other high. Cars are both, right? Oh man, I am confused!

DOOM

LeFox
08-21-2007, 07:23 AM
ok thulsa, here's the layout:

cars:
- xenon headlight bulbs have only 1 option => low-beam
- for the highbeam, a car has seperate lights, thus different bulbs & mirrors.

buell s:
- the buell s has 2 lights: 1 for low-beam, the other for the high-beam
- the xenon hid for bikes include 1 bulb, the low-beam, thus keeping the normal (glow)bulb for the high-beam.
- if you want 2 xenon bulbs in your buell s, you have 2 options:
1) install an low-beam mirror in the high-beam light
2) the option dozer suggested (has not been tested), don't change the mirror, but aim the complete light lower so that the high-beam is a bit above the low-beam.
in both cases, you will lose the high-beam option.

ok? ;)

Thulsadoom
08-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Ok! Thank you LeFox, they really weren't kidding when they said that you were helpful in the knowledge department. :)

mnbuellman
08-22-2007, 04:20 AM
Lefox check this out. I emailed this company this am. http://www.xenonlink.com/index.php Heres there response with the lighting situation for buells.

Hello Eric,

We can do a Mix & match kit for you. That means putting an automotive kit together with two different types of bulbs so you can install it for both high beam and low beam.

Now, they are the same exact installation.

let us know if you have any further questions.

thanks,

Im sold I want HID!!!

mnbuellman
08-22-2007, 04:21 AM
I basically asked them the same questions we all have had here.

LeFox
08-22-2007, 07:39 AM
Lefox check this out. I emailed this company this am. http://www.xenonlink.com/index.php Heres there response with the lighting situation for buells.

Hello Eric,

We can do a Mix & match kit for you. That means putting an automotive kit together with two different types of bulbs so you can install it for both high beam and low beam.

Now, they are the same exact installation.

let us know if you have any further questions.

thanks,

Im sold I want HID!!!

cool, but how do you install 2 bulbs per light when there's only room for 1? [confused]

mnbuellman
08-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Hey I was wondering if you did an open airbox kit like one from ASB would the ballasts fit under the tank cover? Behind the air cleaner??

LeFox
08-25-2007, 09:57 PM
the ecm fits, so if the ballasts are about the same size or smaller, they would.

mnbuellman
09-08-2007, 12:04 AM
anyone got one of these kits yet??? I plan to this winter. I want more light!!!!!!

MrOrange
09-08-2007, 05:39 AM
I was just thinking, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't both the high beam and low beam H7 bulbs. If that is the case just buy either 2 motorcycle kits or a car kit with 2 h7s.

BTW thanks Buellxb for the spelling error cues.

LeFox
09-08-2007, 07:15 AM
I was just thinking, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't both the high beam and low beam H7 bulbs. If that is the case just buy either 2 motorcycle kits or a car kit with 2 h7s.

the xenon h7 bulb is not equiped with a highbeam

MrOrange
09-08-2007, 07:58 AM
And thats my point mate, there both H7 bulbs. So if someone wanted a low and high HID beam use 2 HID kits. one in tel left light and one in the right.

LeFox
09-08-2007, 01:31 PM
And thats my point mate, there both H7 bulbs. So if someone wanted a low and high HID beam use 2 HID kits. one in tel left light and one in the right.

ahm no...

i said the xenon h7 bulb is not equiped with the highbeam.

a glow-type h7 bulb is.

a car with xenon hid is installed in a different lamp set or area then the highbeam.
on a car, the parking & highbeam lights are combined and seperate from that is the xenon.

Tork
09-08-2007, 03:15 PM
I went with these guys to replace both lights (XB12R) with HID: http://www.hidfoglight.com/productsAndServices/retro/hidSlimHeadLightOrderPage.html. They sell a system specifically for bikes.

The bike kit comes complete with everything to replace both hi/low sides. It also includes the newer slimline ballasts that are only 2.5" x .5" x 3", so they're much easier to mount in tight spaces.

Installation is a breeze. No modification of the stock light housing is necessary. Replace the stock bulbs with the HID bulbs, mount the ballasts, and make a few connections. I mounted one ballast to the outside of the relay box, and the other to the outside of the fuse box. It looks clean like a factory install.

Once finished, my low beam is bright enough so that I hardly ever have to run the high beam. I went with the 6000k bulbs, which are bright white with just a tinge of blue. At 35 watts, the system runs much cooler than stock, draws less power, yet throws out much, much more light. $199 for a two-bulb setup is pretty competitive, too.

If you have any problems, the company is very responsive via email and/or phone and will exchange any part that doesn't work for 1 year.