PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started with Mods ... some questions

JeepinBueller
10-22-2009, 01:10 AM
Hey everyone,

I just got my '03 XB9R recently and I'm looking to start making it my own. I'm one of those people that needs to be 100% sure before I buy something, especially if it's over the net.

The previous owner had the wheels powder-coated burnt orange, leaving about a 1.5" ring around the edge bare wheel. Looks nice--won't be changing it. I also did the breather re-route mod and added some 6000K HIDs in the headlights.

I'm planning on a few things over the winter, and I'm just looking for some feedback:

* Definitely going to do an exhaust, and I'm looking at either the D&D or the original Drummer. From what I've read, the D&D adds some meat to the mid-range, and the Drummer sings in the low- and high-end. I'm sure both are plenty loud (I do want to be on the louder side ... but not Jardine loud from what I've read) but I just want to make sure. Is the D&D deeper/louder? ... or does the Drummer take that prize, too? I was set of the Drummer, but now the D&D seems better because I spend more time cruising in the mid-range than ringing it out. Plus, if it's a bit better sounding (louder/deeper), then I'm all for it.

* Definitely getting an upgraded rear light from XBLights.com (option #6). Nothing else, to me, comes close visibility/functionality-wise.

* At 6'3", 250 lbs, I'm a bigger dude and would really like a smidgen more room. I've read that the stock Lightning rider foot pegs are a bit lower and are a direct swap onto the Firebolt for a little extra leg room. Is this true? If so, I'd really like to do this.

* The last on the list is a maybe ... because of my large frame, I'm constantly staring at my elbows in my rear view mirrors. What kind of bar-end mirror options do I have for an R with the Buell Traction grips?

* My front signals are trash from the PO ... what kind of LED options are out there that are worth it? There's the cheap pair on ASB, but I'm not sure they'll be bright enough?

* Already have ECMspy ... just need to get the cable. After that, I need to locate someone local to me that knows what they're doing, haha.

* Pazzo or ASV shorty levers ... pretty much self explanatory.

So if you're just cruising through and you have some input about any of these, I'd greatly appreciate you sharing it!! ESPECIALLY if you have sound clips or pictures of any of these mods.

Thanks!

JeepinBueller
10-22-2009, 01:17 AM
Sorry, I also forgot I'm looking into getting a custom seat made by Baldwin (http://www.motorbikesaddles.com/) either leather or vinyl with gel depending on the money I want to spend on it (and hopefully Loren can make it 1/2" higher or so for that little extra leg room).

rndrkeagle
10-22-2009, 01:18 AM
Ok.... gonna tackle the questions in random order as I have answers/info and offers on different bits here...

At 6'3", 250 lbs, I'm a bigger dude and would really like a smidgen more room. I've read that the stock Lightning rider foot pegs are a bit lower and are a direct swap onto the Firebolt for a little extra leg room. Is this true? If so, I'd really like to do this.

Yes.. the lightning footpegs are lower... here's a pic.. (you can buy the pegs at Buellparts.net too)

http://www.buellparts.net/images/products/lightning-controls-xb-footpeg-kit-rider.jpg

I have the (from a previous owner) one lightning and one 'bolt peg on my bike... and want to go back to the stock 'bolt pegs... so if yours are in good shape and you do decide you want to go with the lightning pegs.... let me know if you want to sell your 'Bolt pegs.

rndrkeagle
10-22-2009, 01:27 AM
ok.. part two..

My front signals are trash from the PO ... what kind of LED options are out there that are worth it? There's the cheap pair on ASB, but I'm not sure they'll be bright enough?

for LEDs... Read this thread.. .
Click (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Firebolt-XB12-XB9/LED-turn-signals)

I'm about to buy the LEDs that LVSleeper went with from ASB.. they look really sharp and bright..

JeepinBueller
10-22-2009, 02:11 AM
Thanks eagle!! That was quick! Then I'll put the Lightning pegs on the "definite" list and I'll keep your name in mind when i do the swap and let you know. I guess I'll look at some aftermarket Lightning pegs just to be different ... if the stockers swap in then aftermarket ones should, too? We'll see.

Another thought ... I've heard of people swapping in 1125R mirrors after a little "modification" ... not really sure what the mod is, but I'm assuming the bolt holes on the 1125R mirrors don't line up exactly with the XB's. Anybody do this? It would solve the front signal problem, too.

bardo688
10-22-2009, 02:44 AM
well I dont know much about your other problems but ive done alot of research on exhaust and heres kinda what i summed up.
Drummer (425+) great sound and saw some dyno's drummer slightly out preformed D&D overall

D&D's a good name brand powerful and loud but not annoying dont know how much they cost

Or try something different Randy Hawkins makes Hawk exaust similar concept of the Drummer but lil different it out preforms buell race muffler and has great sound check out youtube.

Just set aside some boredrum time and thumb through links[up]

1stxb9r
10-22-2009, 02:44 AM
the 1125r mirrors have the turn signals built in like a Gixxer.

bardo688
10-22-2009, 02:47 AM
OH i forgot http://home.windstream.net/hawk63/ thats hawks web page bout (175) heard nothing but awsomeness and greatness about him from all the guys on the forum....just a buell obsessed 17year olds two bits

JeepinBueller
10-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

bardo: I'll have to check out Hawkin's stuff ... I like the dual outlet on the Hawk and D&D over the Drummer ... I wonder if Kyle can make me a dual outlet Drummer?

1stxb: Yes I know. That's why I mentioned that it would take care of the front signals as well ... though I'm not sure how it looks or if it'll take care of my "staring at the elbows" problem. Hopefully someone who's done the mod can chime in to tell me how they got it to work. I'm assuming some new holes will need to be drilled through the fairing and support structure for the new bolt holes and wires?

03Firebolt9R
10-22-2009, 02:49 PM
@JeepinBueller...the 1125R mirrors bolt right into the existing XB9R holes. Here is a link with some pics of others that have done it. Good luck and lets see some pics when you are done.

1125R mirrors on XB (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Firebolt-XB12-XB9/my-new-1125-mirrors-on-my-xb12r)

marko138
10-22-2009, 03:06 PM
I've got a Drummer original on my XB12R. It sounds awesome. It's loud, but it's not insane.

I've also put the "S" pegs on my "R". It helped a little. It is only an inch after all.

I've also got the Traction grips with bar-end mirrors. Just cut the end of the grips out with an exacto knife or something similar.

I've also got Pazzo shorties.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3543_20091022081332_L.jpg

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3543_20091022081224_L.jpg

Ryan
04-26-2010, 09:02 PM
a little late to the party on this thread, but I want to see pics of those orange wheels on that bike!