PDA

View Full Version : A VERY proud Bell owner

acepilot79
10-23-2009, 01:56 AM
Hey guys, I've been a long time reader, but now I finally have the privilege to call myself a Buell owner!!! With the HUGE discounts on Buells at Skip Fordyce I was able to purchase two Buells. An 1125R and an XB12SCG. I can't wait to go and ride.[cool]

Ace

Stevenc150
10-23-2009, 02:39 AM
Awesome! Welcome to the Forum and Congrats on the bikes :D[up]

agfish18
10-23-2009, 04:20 PM
indeed. Had I waited just a couple more months I would have been able to get a cheaper 1125R ;(

acepilot79
10-25-2009, 08:08 AM
thanks guys, now I'm just trying to figure out what I'm going to customize first. OH!!! and does anyone know the best way to break them in? I have heard of the hard break in but I was told to follow the book so of course I'm soo confused as to which i should use:(

Ace

keithd
10-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Hard break-in is for road-racing or drag-racing. For the street, slow (speed) and low (RPM) is the way to go.

If you're racing Daytona this weekend, then sure, break it in hard-n-fast, then drag some knee pucks! Otherwise, treat it like a good marriage and introduce the piston and cylinder walls gently! :D

RichP99
10-25-2009, 11:25 AM
introduce the piston and cylinder walls gently!
THATS WHAT SHE SAID!!!

sorry I just couldn't help myself:D

Congrats on the bikes:)

kokomochandler
10-25-2009, 12:29 PM
break em in hard. but let them warm up first.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

acepilot79
10-25-2009, 10:01 PM
hey kokomochandler, i take it you have used this method?? what differences have you felt between a bike that was done by the book and on broken in hard? how long ago did you do it?

Ace

Apexlocator
10-27-2009, 12:52 AM
I think just common sense tells you to avoid droning on the interstate with no load on the engine during the break in period. Also, "working" the warmed up engine instead of holding the throttle always at the same speed. But I wouldn't work the engine hard, ever. Just enjoy the bike and be smooth with it. If you feel the need for explosive power, buy a Japanese rocket and knock yourself out. I love high performance, but favor smooth riding techniques myself.

green_head20
10-27-2009, 05:12 PM
I just bought a new buell myself (deals are to good to pass up) After reading the motoman website and being around engines myself a long time, i seem to have better luck when i put a new machine through its paces rather than baby it. I dont know its a double edged sword because with all the dataloggin companys do nowadays i wonder if they would void the warranty if they saw you didnt follow the break in? my .02 cents[confused]

Stevenc150
10-27-2009, 07:21 PM
i wonder if they would void the warranty if they saw you didnt follow the break in?Only thing retained after a ride is ECM memory - fuel maps and such. Not enough room under the seat for a "black box" ;)

And Congrats on the Bike. [up]

BTW, here's a thread about Break-in methods.

acepilot79
10-27-2009, 11:28 PM
hey Steven ya forgot the link;)
and congrats green head, yeah I have been confused about breaking in and possibly voiding my warranty, But I asked my Power plant instructor about breaking in a new engine and they don't baby it when they break in a new plane engine. He told me that a lot of what motoman said was actually true in order to seat the rings. but ya gotta make sure you dont overheat the engine or you will glaze the cylinder walls. Oh and Green head make sure the dealer didn't fill up your bike with full synthetic because its too slippery for breaking in a new engine!!!!

Ace

Stevenc150
10-28-2009, 03:25 AM
:o - My bad Ace, just noticed that it's the same link as Kokomochandler's anyways.