PDA

View Full Version : Micron Exhaust

Angelo
08-09-2007, 01:56 PM
I ordered a Micron exhaust for my Uly and I remember reading somewhere that the engine needed to be rotated in order to get to the rear header bolts. I've been digging around for the post with the info on it but can't seem to find it. Has anyone been through this process? If so is it possible to get the instructions from you. Particularly the proper torque specs for re-installing everything. I also ordered a service manual but it won't arrive for another 10 days. As you can imagine I want to get this baby up and running soon. Thanks.

LeFox
08-09-2007, 02:10 PM
you need to lift the frame a bit so you can reach & remove the header.

2Evil4U
08-09-2007, 08:21 PM
My Micron system came with excellent instructions that detailed exactly how to rotate the motor down.

Pay attention to the dimension they give for the rear tube to cam housing. It must be very close or the lower pipe won't fit.

Angelo
08-10-2007, 12:45 AM
Did you do any other mods beside the exhaust? What ECM are you running and how is it performing?

LeFox
08-10-2007, 11:50 AM
angelo, please oh please, use the direct-link with the micron system & add an open header...it will be worth the extra $$$

and performance & sound is one of the best systems around, especially with that price! [up]

2Evil4U
08-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Running a Race ECM, '07 inner airbox, and catch can. 8500 not so easy miles on it and still running great. I changed out the plugs to one step cooler about 1500 miles ago more for the heat down here rather than performance.

Angelo
08-11-2007, 04:16 AM
Thanks for the advice. I took a look at the instructions and they do look very complete and easy to follow. I also stopped by one of the HD shops and purchased a service manual for the 07 Uly. From my understanding there are no major changes and all the torque specs should be the same. I hope to be back up and running by Sunday PM.

LeFox
08-11-2007, 06:59 AM
angelo, check this: shootout (ftp://ftp.americansportbike.com/outgoing/XB_Exhaust_Shootout_Test_Report.zip)

and see the gains the micron system has.

also:
race airfilter is a must, can''t increase out-flow without increasing the flow in...

standard ecm: you'll get a dip between 3250-4250rpm (cruising rpm) where you'll be getting too much fuel
race ecm: better but will run a bit to lean from 4250rpm to redline.
direct-link: you can map it that it runs smooth through the complete rpm range with no surprizes and a small 3hp gain over race ecm and a nice bottom-end tourque gain overall

and no offence to the people saying that it runs fine with stock (i have no doubt that it feels that way), but have you compared it with the direct-link? [confused]
cause the difference is very noticable.

Angelo
08-14-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks for all the scoop.

Well it's done...I installed a K&N filter and the micron this weekend and had the race ECM installed and the TPS reset a short while ago. I can definitely hear and feel a difference. The only thing I have left is to do the open airbox conversion (still waiting on the parts).

Is the direct link something that can be done at home or does the bike need to go to the shop? I found a shop that says they will program the direct link according to any aftermarket components that have been installed. Will this require another TPS reset?

LeFox
08-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Is the direct link something that can be done at home or does the bike need to go to the shop? I found a shop that says they will program the direct link according to any aftermarket components that have been installed. Will this require another TPS reset?
no, you can't do this at home, since you need a dyno.
once a direct link is done, tps resets are no longer needed.
since it's actually a programmed map like in a original stock ecm, but matched to your components.

though i would suggest to do a link evertime you change something that has influence to the air/fuel ratio. in other words, you should definitely wait till you have the open airbox.

onlyxb
04-20-2009, 11:42 PM
hey guys i have been trying to get a micron full exhaust for my firebolt 9r but cant find one anywhere. can any u guys help me out with a web site i can find one. would appreciate it a lot!!!

strmvt
04-21-2009, 03:15 AM
www.americansportbike.com had some I'm not sure if they still do or not

wyobuell
06-10-2009, 06:38 AM
have micron full kit, NRHS stage 1 heads, and race ECM from American Sport Bike .com. . . .runs terrible after 4300 rpm. Also when abruptly going to full throttle. Is direct-link able to remedy these issues?

Stevenc150
06-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Yes, according to Lefox's 3rd post from the top.