PDA

View Full Version : Buell discontinued?

johnmichael
11-02-2009, 12:17 PM
So now that they have discontinued Buell Motorcycles, what do you all plan to do with your bikes. I just bought mine 7 months ago for 12,000 out the door and it isn't worth half what I still owe on it. I am wondering, are there going to be any parts for them in 3-4 years? are they going to have a resale value in one year? Whats in the future for Buell and its owners. I have not seen this yet in my lifetime and am wondering if my engine dies do I just scrap my 12,000 dollar bike. Please post your comments I am wondering how all the other Buell owners feel.[confused]

1001yos
11-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Ha!
I'll forge parts to keep mine alive if I have to!!!

But seriously though, parts for seven years garunteed, and plenty of third party parts and a network of Buellers to help. As for the price you paid, is that a 2009? If it was a 2010, I wonder if you can take it back on warrentee sand say the price is broken......

GatorBuell
11-02-2009, 12:40 PM
The resale will go up over time.

shoeshineboy
11-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Holy crap! Just watched the vid and read the press release. Guess the bean counters won out again. It's a sad day in the history of motorcycling. Was really hoping that Buell would spark enough interest in the v-twin sportbike market to keep them around. I rode inline 4's for almost 20 years before picking up a Suzuki TL1000R and never looked back after that. Minor problems aside, my Buell has been an awesome bike. Puts a huge smile on my face every time I fire it up and dive into corners.

drunk_uncle
11-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Hey worse comes to worse, most of the XL engine parts can go into a Buell, but counting on the 7 years required to service the bikes. That and the fact that Harley hasn't sold off any assests that I know of so still hoping when the economy turns around that Buell might start back up. Harley has retained the services of Erik, so we'll see.

Tank
11-02-2009, 09:25 PM
1125 is nothing like any other engine. Rotax made it Eric Buell's specs. As soon as the warranties are up, dont bet on any parts except what a few smart people have cubbyholed, but expect to pay a ton for all of them. As for resale... My 2008 1125R with 5600miles is worth an alarming $4000.00 trade in and thats only because I was looking at a $15,000.00 new one. We all got hosed and HD is laughing al the way to the bank! FHD!!!
Tank

johnmichael
11-03-2009, 08:14 AM
I think I would have to agree with tank on this one. Another thing that is going to hinder the availability of parts is the fact the 1125 has only been in production for 2 years, it never even made it to 2010. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think they even sold Buell, I think they just closed the doors. FHD!

shoeshineboy
11-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Yep, looks like they still have all the rights to Buell and stopped the $5500 credit they were giving to dealers to get them out the door. Suppose HD could care less because it is such a small segment of the market and won't effect the overpriced sales of their bikes. Not too hard to believe they would alienate such a dedicated group of customers in this day and age. If it ain't making big $ they just move on. GM is doing the same thing with Saturn. Hopefully Erik has something up his sleeve. This has been his baby forever and I imagine he will do whatever it takes to keep his dream alive.

Tank
11-07-2009, 11:19 PM
I heard Erik is trying to get investors in an attempt to buy Buell back from HD. I am not sure how plausible this is due to the costs we dont think about...I was reading an article that said HD is selling MV Agusta, and had to make a 1 time payment of 125Million (to employees I guess) to close down Buell. So whatever the sale price would be...it would no doubt include that 125M. Good news is we all own irreplacable collectors items now!!!!!
FHD!
Tank

Tank
11-07-2009, 11:22 PM
Here is a link to the article...

article on Buell (http://www.motorcycle.com/news/harleydavidson-shutting-down-buell-88821.html)

roadrocker
11-19-2009, 02:23 AM
FHD We bought there bike and had pride in riding them but where not a big enough for them so screw us i guess!HD should let Erik take back the company and find his own way. But they are afraid he will make it bigger and better than what they could do. FHD

slywoman
11-19-2009, 02:36 AM
AMEN, roadrocker!!!!

These are EXCELLENT bikes! The dealership I go to has been pretty good about it, but a few of the guys working there own Buells. It is a possibility, but I'd be shocked if another company doesn't offer SOMETHING to take these under their wing.

They proved they have been improving them - year to year - to make them better for the riders!

Just because HD thinks they have to peddle overpriced crap that breaks down and get away with it for years..... simply because of a name.... screw 'em! Keepin' my Buell and fixin it myself if HD won't.:( Their attitude is frustrating, nonetheless.

BigRonbowski
11-20-2009, 03:25 AM
Tell me if this is true..the place where I just picked up my new/old 08 1125r told me Buell said Buell does not charge for freight and the prices are what they are??? Another dealer in NJ(NOT MENTIONING NAMES BUT THEY ARE OFF RT23)!!! Was charging me $495 bucks for freight on a XB12! I found this out when I went back to the origional dealer where I got my VRSCX from! Just wondering...some dealers are crooks!