PDA

View Full Version : about buells

rhys860
08-14-2007, 11:21 AM
hey guys i am about to buy a buell firebolt xb12r can you please inform me about if there is any faults with the bike or if there is anything i should know???
please help :):)

mrdozer2you
08-14-2007, 11:57 AM
My advice, read up posts about the Firebolts and Lightnings. Lots of people have good and bad to say. (mostly good here [up]) You can find out any problems that different people are having with their bikes and the solutions.

What type of bike are you coming from? Or is this your first?

rhys860
08-15-2007, 11:02 AM
this is my first do you think the bike is for me ? i have always loved to ride bikes with good handling and if it is reliable ?? so if you know about the bike please tell me if you think this bike is for me :):) i would appreciate it so much :):)

mrdozer2you
08-15-2007, 12:27 PM
First motorcycle or first Buell?

this is my first do you think the bike is for me ?
If this is your first motorcycle then good job [up] You wont be disapointed.

i have always loved to ride bikes with good handling
Debateable, but probably one of the best handling bikes around. As far as reliability, it depends on how you treat it ( like anything else ) keep up on general maintenance, ie. changing oil, using premium fuel etc..
It should give you lots of happy miles [cool]

The thing that probably (for me) took the most getting used to was the V-Twin engine. I was coming from a 600cc Jap bike. With the buells you have to wait a little longer than normal for the motor to "warm up" before you ride. Also the power delivery is much different than the imports. Lots of low end torque. I was used to running the RPM's way up to make power on my 600, with the Buell, it makes power through the entire shorter RPM range. Not what I was used to, but very cool now that I am :D

LeFox
08-15-2007, 06:03 PM
i have always loved to ride bikes with good handling and if it is reliable ?? so if you know about the bike please tell me if you think this bike is for me i would appreciate it so much

i'm sorry to say that we can not tell you that the bike is good for you.
we don't know you nor do we know what you like or dislike.
do what always needs to be done: test it!
let the bike convince you of its quality and fun factor...

my advice to most people is, try a jap, a 3 and a 2 cylinder.
jap = any jap...in general they are all more or less the same: neutral handling, looks, sound and rpm
a 3 cylinder = triumph, benelli, etc
2 cylinder = buell

after that you will know what you want...;)

hottoddy69
08-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Don't forget the RC51 V-Twin Honda with the 6th gear. I would rather have my XB but, I think the RC51 is a better bike.

LeFox
08-15-2007, 08:02 PM
I would rather have my XB but, I think the RC51 is a better bike.

buell is more fun, has better handling and is better & faster in & out the corners ;)

XBear9S
08-16-2007, 02:06 AM
rhys860,

Buells were plauged w/issues for years.
But w/the advent of the XB line, things have changed.
The XB's are ridiculously reliable.
While there are still issues that pop up from time to time,
Buell has become an anyone's motorcycle.
Its not just for the grease monkey w/tons of time on his hands.
At least not any more.

If you like more than a couple bikes,
you should take them out for test rides.
Don't just do it once.
Do it several times if you can.
Get to know the bikes a little.

If you have serious questions about reliability,
you can find quite the history of issues on badweb.
www.badweatherbikers.com
This site doesn't have the history you'll find there.
Not yet anyways.
Let us know what you decided.

Robtk!42 a.k.a. "Specialk!"

"Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and
let each new year find you a better Buell."
--Benjamin FranklinBuelly

slwglide
08-19-2007, 06:08 AM
you can test ride all the buells at the buell track days if there is one in your area. Check the website.
As for a first bike I think you could spend alot less money than the xb12r. Most people don't keep their first bike long. IMO A first bike should have a more relaxed seating position, that way you can get use to the controls and balance.
If you have rode before the xb12r is a great bike.