PDA

View Full Version : ticking/tapping noise???

AdventureUly
11-05-2009, 09:06 AM
I have had my Uly for just over three weeks now and it is fair to say that I love it. I know most of the strange sound it makes, the fan, the engine noise etc... But this week I think it has developed a new sound, one that I do not think should be there.

It is like a ticking or tapping noise. At first I thought that something had come loose but could not find anything. The noise gets faster as the revs go up. I am finding it hard to pin point where it is coming from while I am riding and it does not hapen when the bike is ticking over (even with a few revs). [confused]

Any one any ideas? I am going to take it back to the place I bought it, but they are not a dedicated Buell dealer, so if I can tell them what the problem is, they should have a better chance of fixing it.

Help!

LeFox
11-05-2009, 10:05 AM
where are you at? (temperature?)

you could be hearing pinging, the ignition, etc...but then again, all these things you should be able to hear when idling too.

AdventureUly
11-05-2009, 10:41 AM
I am in Southport, England. Cold cold cold.

AdventureUly
11-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Can any one describe the "pinging" noise to me?

toddb3
11-05-2009, 01:25 PM
I've got a firebolt that when cold it makes a lot of tapping noises that are probably the valves. When the bike gets to normal operating temperature is is a lot less noticeable.

Stevenc150
11-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Take the flyscreen off and check the horn bracket, they loosen and tick against the modules sometimes. Seen many "ticking" sound posts and that's what it was. It may not be your problem but it's easy to check.

AdventureUly
11-05-2009, 02:55 PM
I had seen those posts as well and moved my horn into the void behind the screen. But I did at one point think that it may have come loose, so i shall check that tonight.

Toddb3: Thanks for that it's uesful to know. I will see what it sounds like when I am almost home, about 20 miles, should be warm enough by then. I is on my right leg any way! :)

AdventureUly
11-05-2009, 02:57 PM
That should say "IT is on my right leg any way"

Doh! :p

AdventureUly
11-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Bit of an up date: I do not think the noise is coming from the engine, it seems to be coming from the back end of the bike. It sound like something has come loose, but I cant find anything:

Any ideas what could have come loose that I might not beable to see?

What would the rear wheel bearings sound like if they were shot? (bike is still smooth though)

It's starting to drive me mad!

Any more ideas?[confused]

LeFox
11-09-2009, 12:27 PM
what is your mileage?

could be a broken bearing-ball (or whatever you might call it).

AdventureUly
11-09-2009, 01:26 PM
I have done just over 8K.

Do you meen the bearings in the back wheel?

AdventureUly
11-09-2009, 09:03 PM
I have found the source of the noise.....

There is a bolt missing from the front exhaust manafold. The cuff that holds it in is banging against the engine block.

It looks like the bolt has sheared off.

It's now a warranty job....

Thanks for your ideas.

rideboarder589
11-09-2009, 09:32 PM
i have the same noise on my bike...sounds like its coming from the back...goes faster as the revs get higher...im gonna check on what you found when i get home..thats great bc like it said it is very annoying

AdventureUly
11-10-2009, 02:52 PM
I hope you find it!