PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug confusion '04 XB12R

sccrguy1303
11-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Hey guys I recently bought an 04 XB12R to replace my old blast, and I love it! I have been scouring the forums for all sorts of info regarding the XB's and I need to do my 10K mile mateinence, I want to do the majority of the work myself and have run into a little hickup with regards to the spark plug.

Every site, dealer, post I have found only mentions the 05-09 Firebolt. I figured the engine really didn't change much over the years but I want to be certain I am buying the correct plugs the first time. Can I use the DCPR9EIX's that everyone is suggesting for the other models? Or should I use the DCPR8EIX that all the websites are suggesting for the 05 model?

Thanks
David

Stevenc150
11-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Yeah, '04 plug is the same as an '05. I'd go with the DCPR9EIX.

driftingswiftly
11-07-2009, 01:28 AM
Haha hey bro, welcome to the forum! Last season i replaced a blast with an 04xb12r too! I also ran into plug issues early on...but it was my doing. too many hard revs off cold starts and blew one. anyway i agree with stevenc150 but i want to warn you of something...the plugs are an absolute pain to get to. Heres the trick that will save you hours of problem solving: Rubber hose. Use regular sockets and whatever you have thta will fit to loosen them, then reach behind the frame with the hose and cram it over the end. this lets you finish unscrewing them really fast and easy. you only need about 6" or so to do it.

Stevenc150
11-08-2009, 04:41 AM
Here's another Spark Plug Change Procedure (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/General-Motorcycle-Chat/Spark-plug-write-up)