PDA

View Full Version : Leaky 2006 on the showroom floor

7873jake
11-09-2009, 02:45 AM
I've posted this on the badweatherbikers forum as well so if you're out perusing both, pardon my duplicate intrusion into both forums but I'm pressed for time and wanted a 2nd opinion on a symptom.

I have an opportunity to acquire a 2006 XB12X with about 7,000 miles on it that seems to have a drippy disposition.

Specifically, there is a large threaded stud/bolt and nut that is beneath the shifter on the bottom of the engine case on the shifter side that has a very wet, dripping "glisten" to it. Its definitely oil but as a result, the drip leaves a tell tale drip mark on the concrete along the side stand reminiscent of my '76 Triumph Bonnie.

Is this a symptom of something significant? Should I turn and run? I'm not afraid of most oil drips in general because I'm comfortable replacing gaskets, and tearing an engine I know apart down to a point. Buuuut, I don't know this engine well enough to know if I'm looking at a small issue (gasket? o-ring? crush washer?) or a leaking doo-hickey that will hurt me later.

The bike doesn't appear to have been abused or mistreated from a cursory initial inspection and some belly crawling around it to find other tell-tale wet spots.

Thoughts?

polkiejoe
11-09-2009, 02:49 AM
Leaking primary drain plug?? Maybe was not completley wiped off when the replaced the oil in the primary?? Or could be the clutch inspection cover gasket not properly sealed... Both not a big deal at all. Just have the dealer correct the problem before you $$ it.

7873jake
11-09-2009, 03:13 AM
That's the info I needed confirmed. Inspection didn't look serious but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking some obvious Buell flaw before I $$ down on this thing and move forward.

Thanks for the insight and confirmation.

xtremelow
11-09-2009, 03:16 AM
Yeah either one is a simple O-ring styled seal that can be replaced and bam problem will be fixed.

lleubbx
11-09-2009, 03:08 PM
large threaded stud/bolt and nut

I think you´r talking about the "Chain Tension Adjusting Fastener"

Not to worry about, maybe the nut is not sealing properly, but that´s an easy repair.;)

Buellysses
11-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Just out of curiosity, how much are you looking at paying for the bike?

onelogue
11-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Yeah sounds like the Primary chain tension fastening bolt

Not a big deal... Easy to fix if leaking

7873jake
11-10-2009, 02:16 AM
Buellysses,

Just over $5k (US) on a one-owner unit that was a local trade. '06 XB12X w/ bags.

And a big thanks to the collective for the additional responses. Even if it costs me a couple of $$ to fix because I choose not to do it myself, I'm still comfortable with coming out ahead far enough on the price of the bike to offset the price of a simple repair.

Problem is, I'm a sucker for the experience so I'll likely dive into it myself.