PDA

View Full Version : Looking ar buying a 99 Lighting. Opinions?

jbb13
08-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Hi everyone,

I was looking through craigslist the other day and foound a '99 Lighting that had a price that seemed to be almost unbeatable ($2800). It has about 13,000 miles on it and from what I can tell (I have not actually gone out to see it yet) it looks to be in incredible shape. I believe the reason it has stuck around is the owner is currently in London for the next 7 months and is selling the bike through Moneybooker.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could give me any solid opinions about the bike. I already know the general information and typical respones, the basic "Great Bike you will really enjoy it!!" kind of stuff. What I'm trying to find out, seeing as from what I've read the '99 was the first year for the Lighting, is are there any notorious first year bugs and problems that were common with the bike?

I know I've read that the '99 Lightings were also the first year for electronic fuel injection. I know Harley had issues with their fuel injection systems when they originally put them on their bikes. I hate to make the assumption, but it wouldn't be to terribly suprising to find out that that trait carried over to the lightings as well.

My primary issue with this is that the price seems almost too good to be true. From what I've seen blue book values range from $2650 on the low end to $3450 on the high end. However I've seen them going for $5000 on ebay and such. I do feel as though the seller is having a hard time pushing this bike since he is over seas and the transaction circumstances are quite odd. Any opinions regarding what anyone has seen price wise and such would be appriciated too.

I just really want to know about any common issues that may be on the horizon before I decide I'm going to spend the money and make the effort to purchase this bike.

Thanks for everyones help.

LeFox
08-17-2007, 12:50 PM
don't do it...

heard the same story several times.

nice bikes, very good price => hustle
you pay and never see the bike [down]

jbb13
08-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Well, ya....

I personally felt very uncomfortable with the transaction.

I'm doing alittle research on that part. As of now I'm leaning towards no, however I would like to know about the bike for when I find another though.

LeFox
08-18-2007, 05:11 PM
just make sure all the recalls are done.