PDA

View Full Version : Diagnose problem

JollyGreenGiant
11-13-2009, 03:36 PM
I just bought an 02 Blast with 1,600miles as my first bike. After three weeks of just riding to and from class I felt confortable enough to ride it home (3 1/2hr ride).

I ran into trouble when I got the bike up to 55-65 mph. It would start to chug and slow down, plus oil was leaking from somewhere under the tank. I had oil all over the air box and my boots. If I pulled the clutch in and slowed down then reingaged the clutch and speed up it was fine. The morning after I took it out to see if it did it agian, had the bike up to 70 mph a few times and it was fine...mystery.

Could the dealer over filled the oil, it seemed pretty high. Does anyone know what this could be?

fahren
11-18-2009, 02:11 AM
Could be overfilled. Where are you located - is it somewhere where you will be putting the bike away for the winter? If so, that would be a perfect time to change the oil and filter yourself. It's dead easy, and you will know it was done right. Even if you will be riding all winter in the sunny south, then an oil and filter change wouldn't hurt.

You say everything is back to smooth on its own now, even at higher speeds on longer runs? Buells consume more than their fair share of oil, by the way, so continue to keep an eye on it and don't overfill.

JollyGreenGiant
11-20-2009, 05:57 PM
I have it stored away at home right now. If the weather is nice over thanksgiving I'm going to take it out to see if it does it agian. I will change the oil either way.

I had it out for about a half-hour the day after my ride home. and it seemed fine but I wasn't going high way speeds the entier time.

This will giving something to do over thanksgiving at least.

JollyGreenGiant
12-01-2009, 05:26 PM
I checked it out over thanksgiving and it started doing it agian, this time while in 3rd and 2nd.

This is strange, somtimes it does it sometimes it doesn't. It seems like it does it only when the bike is warmed up completely.

I'm going to put some dye in the the oil to try and locate the leak. it seems like its coming the top of the engine under the tank. Could it be a leaky gasket under the the valve cover?