PDA

View Full Version : seat height comparison

Luciferella
08-18-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm just looking for a little advice i'm buying my first bike and i'm really intrested in the Scg. I'm 5'4" and having trouble getting a hold of a scg. How does the cityx w/low seat compare to the scg seat height?

His_and_Her_Buells
08-19-2007, 12:50 AM
From what understand the cityx sits 1.3" higher than the 12s due to a thicker seat. The low seat on the cityx or the 12s will make them both the same, 1/2" taller than the scg. The scg's suspension is dropped a little. I had my standard seat (Ss) shaved by 2" which took it down to just below the SCG and it is still confortable enough for an hour or more in the saddle. My wife who is also 5'4" has a cityx and has to tippy toe it. After her first close call with some loose gravel she is getting her seat shaved as well. Hope this helps.

MPea3
08-19-2007, 11:56 AM
If the Scg is difficult for you forget the cityx. You'll have to modify it in order to just get it as low as the cg. My buddy Beth has a cg. At 5-1 she can barely touch the points of her toes, but she's been riding for 10 years and she's comfortable with one footing it at stops. I'd also question either one of them as a first bike... perhaps you should consider a Blast for 6 months before getting the cg, then the seat height issue might not be such a big deal.

Here's Beth on her cg in June at Deals Gap. You can see how small she is on the bike in this pic.

http://www.luthier.net/deals3s.jpg

Luciferella
08-19-2007, 01:18 PM
yeah i have to tippy toe the lightning and can't touch on the cityx, i saw someone selling a cityx witha low seat on he he said it was about the same height as the scg. but you never know if they know what they're talking about. thanks for the advice. i'd love to have a blast for a first bike it was pretty comfortable for me but my husband is 6'5" and the blast isn't gonna work for him it was horribly uncomfortable for him in our class. i thought the city would be nice if i could get the seat height down since it has less power. but we'll see. i'd never buy a bike i'd have to tippy toe when i still need to be practicing in a parking lot and small town streets. but so far of the buells other than the blast the scg is the only bike i can keep my feet flat on the ground. but the only scg in ohio or michigan is totaled sooooooooooooo yeah lol i have people trying to find me we one. we'll see how that goes. thanks for the advice guys

His_and_Her_Buells
08-19-2007, 03:01 PM
The 9 is definately a much smoother easier to ride bike than the 12 for a beginner. My wife only lasted about 300 miles on the blast before she outgrew it. If you have small towns and country roads to practice and you take your time, starting with a cityx won't be bad if you can touch 2 footed. I would consider getting the cityx and a spare seat to shave down 2" (3" if you get a spare cityx seat), that way you will have a seat height lower than the scg and your tall husband will have the tallest ride other than a Uly. You can pick up a spare seat for $100 or less and ours were only $40 to have a local auto upholstry shop shave down. Just my $.02

Luciferella
08-19-2007, 07:27 PM
thanks for the advice i really appreciate it. Very helpful i didn't know you could get seats shaved down. Thanks again
linds

His_and_Her_Buells
08-20-2007, 12:20 AM
Very helpful i didn't know you could get seats shaved down

Yep, all they do is take the cover off, use an electric carving knife to cut the foam, then restretch the cover and reattach it to the pan.