PDA

View Full Version : what's next?

echo15
08-19-2007, 02:10 AM
OK, so I've had my new Uly for 3 weeks, and love it! (1500 miles in just over 2 weeks)
Now to deal with a few issues you forum-mates may have already encountered:
Heat from the pipes, seat and right frame spar. Have any of you tried wrapping the pipes? Does it help? Can heat insulation be added under the seat and inside the right frame spar?

Next wind buffeting; anyone tried the Laminar Lip?
Does the 4inch higher windscreen get the job done?

[confused][confused][confused][confused]

BuellPastor
08-19-2007, 02:47 AM
Echo: Welcome. You have really put some miles in! Cool. Many of your questions have been asked and answered so you might try going through some of them for more and better answers.
I have owned my bike for 7 weeks and changed to synthetic oil - that helped. I also wrapped the pipes. I got the wrap from Auto Zone. I used 2" and overlapped as much as possible. That also helped. My fan runs much less now than it did, but it still runs and my right cheek gets hotter than it ever has on any bike. They say the heat insulation under the seat is not a good idea as it will only worsen the heat for the engine. My next move for heat will be to get a right hand air scoop. That will cool the rear cyl a bit more. I have heard the windscreen works but I have an S model so I don't know.

Skidley
09-12-2007, 06:03 AM
I ran mine through the heat of Idaho, Whyoming and Colorado in July. The right side gets hot but no matter how hot the ambient temp is I always wear full gear; full helmet, ear plugs, gloves, mess jacket, mess pants and boots. We hit temps of 105 F and the mess gear works great. Can't wear jeans or no bike pants when it's too hot out, I'll fry my right leg. I find I have to hang my right leg out once in a while to cool on straight stetches but when you are carving in the corners the heat goes un-noticed. Some day maybe Eric Buell will design a proper oil cooler and scoops so the problem gets better. I think the problem stems from the frame/tank wrapping the engine that is part of the mass centralization concept. Buffering is a kind of resonance effect so I adjust my speed versus the wind...5-10 mph in either direction usually works.
I have 18,00 km (11,200 miles) on my 06 so I guess I've learned to live with the heat problem. To much fun when it comes to handling, off-road and adverse conditions!

axegrinder
10-06-2014, 12:39 AM
I bought my XB 12 XT even after hearing all the talk about heat coming off t he right side. After I rode it, I really couldn't understand all the rumbling about it. I put the right hand air scoop on just to help keep the rear cyclinder cooler but it didn't make much difference. It's really a non-factor in my opinion. I've put 15,000 miles on my four bikes this summer (1999 Yamaha Virago 1100, 1996 Harley Sportster S, 1981 Suzuki GS 550 and my Buell). The Buell accounted for 5,500 of those miles. I try to rotate usage. I like the different aspects of each of these bikes. Believe it or not, the Virago is the most comfortable touring bike I've ever ridden and I'd consider the Buell a close second only due to having only one position for your feet. I don't like the looks of the Palmer system even though it looks like a well made product. I've owned a lot of bikes in my 41 years of riding and there isn't one that I didn't like as each had its virtues. Have fun.

user_deleted
10-06-2014, 12:53 AM
echo: i have tried both the factory 4 inch taller screen and the laminar lip....see photo. i have found that effectively they both work about the same and are an improvement.....the lip slightly more so for deflecting buffeting wind up over the top of a helmet. the right side comfort kit inner and outer scoop help a bit with header and rear cylinder heat along with header guard from comfort kit. i've also wrapped headers on firebolts and IMO though it does blanket the heat a tad it looks like hell. bottom line is that the uly in anything above 25 celsius/80 fahrenheit gets toasty on the right side. dress accordingly.http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/8903_20140903145743_L.jpghttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/8903_20130515035727_L.jpghttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/8903_20140903145804_L.jpg

vman858
10-06-2014, 09:08 PM
My 2007 X had the stock short screen and most of the air hit my chest. I'm 5'9". When I installed the XT shield it buffed right on my head, it was terrible. I then installed a Mad Stad and love it. I think its 18". Love the buell... have a 2011 KLR and it seen maybe 500 miles since I got the Buell 2 years ago.

steve92106
10-12-2014, 05:24 PM
Funny, I had vibration issues with the Madstad and sent it back. Like some others, I've learned to live with, and actually enjoy, the wind hitting me. I'm 6'4" so maybe my height is the difference but most of the air is hitting me in the chest and I just lean against it. Whenever I feel actual buffeting of my helmet it's usually as I'm coming up behind a car or big truck.