PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Poll needed! Please help.

AdventureUly
11-18-2009, 06:10 PM
My bike (an 07 Ulysses) is currently with the non Buell dealer that I bought it from. It is having some hic ups sorted out. For one a bolt has sheared of that holds one of the down pipes on. This they said they can sort no problem.

The other problem is: I have had the bike for one month an it had a brand new battery installed when I bought it. Over the last 4 weeks it has been getting weeker and weeker. To the point now that when you turn it on the clock has reset to 01:00 and it just starts the bike.

Now I see this as a problem, but the dealer simply said it's a Buell thing...... and I would need to buy an optimate charger to keep it topped up.

Is this a Buell thing? or is he just fobbing me off?

Can all you Uly riders out there answer with Buell thing or FOB Then I can call the dealer knowing the truth. If any one knows, you guys do!

Thanks for all your help! (I know I have had my fair share since I joind this site)

agfish18
11-18-2009, 06:20 PM
It could possibly be a bad stator, but I have never owned a Uly, my bolt started doing that and then it just died one day when I was at a stop light. Check the voltage regulator and the stator. They are expensive, but I have never known a battery to just crap out for any other reason.

stopie20
11-18-2009, 06:41 PM
This is absolutely NOT a "Buell thing".
There is a fault in the carging system somewhere and they need to find it, it could be as simple as a loose chasis ground or as complex as a stator, but regardless its not normal.... I put over 6000 miles on my bike and I had a similar problem that ended up being a loose ground cable, took like 10 min to find on the side of the road.

07Bolt
11-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Unplug ur Volt Reg and check the pin housing for melting; sparking; corrosion. Check ur main fuse too. Check ur stator with ohms at the leads. 3-4 is good. ur battery is not being charged b/c one of these components is faulty.

tuneport67ss
11-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Also be aware that el cheapo batteries dont last in anything. When it comes to batteries you get what you pay for and being a dealer trying to sell the bike, I'm sure it has the cheapest thing they could find.

keppi
11-18-2009, 10:52 PM
...and sometimes clean the starter inside...http://www.xborgforum.de/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=22455
(source xborg forum germany by icebear)
and change the dealer, it´s not a Buell-Thing

LionBuell
11-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Adventureuly this may sound stupid but when you swich off your bike do you turn the key all the way forward? if so the headlight comes on and can also drain the battery i have done this so i know it is not real bright ithink it is low beam but still drains it. good luck.

AdventureUly
11-19-2009, 10:09 AM
LionBuell: I had that problem with my last bike and got stuck out in the rain for an hour and a half waiting for the recovery truck to come and jump start the bike. I have a little dance I do now around the bike, every time I park, just to make sure my lights are off.

Thanks every one for their input. I have directed the dealer to this thread and told him that this problem must be fixed as these Guys know Buell far better than a non buell dealer.

I will let you know how I get on.

[up]

AdventureUly
11-25-2009, 11:39 AM
UPDATE!

I spoke to the Non-Buell dealer today and they have got the tools in to fix the broken bolt and they are looking into the battery problem and are sure they can sort the problem out. I should have my bike back by the weekend.

They were not to happy with my comments about them possibly fobbing me off or that you guys know more about Buells than they do, and for that I appoligise to the dealer, but I had to find out for my self if there was a problem with the bike or not. (I suppose I could have worded it better)

The dealer in truth has been very helpful and have always done exactly what they said they would do and have, at their own expence, bought specific tools to repair my bike. And for that I thank them.[up]

So Thank you Dealer. Can't wait to get my bike back.

AdventureUly
01-22-2010, 01:18 PM
Well it has been about 3 months now and my bike is finaly ready to come back to me. It is on the bench as I write this being put back together.

I have been riding a ducati multistrada for the last month and it is a hell of a ride, but I cant wait to clime back into the sadle of my beloved Buell.

browland
01-22-2010, 03:18 PM
That's cool that atleast the non buell dealer will talk you you about service... I had good luck ordering parts but as soon as I asked if they could do service related thing I pretty much got not no but hell no

GSXdoubleR88ciNINJA
01-22-2010, 06:42 PM
THREE MONTHS !!! Tha's why I do ALL my own work. Period.

Rays
01-25-2010, 10:17 AM
There are several things that your charging issue could be but one thing that is quite common on the pre-'08 XB12X's is the '77' connector. This is the 2-pin connector between the the voltage regulator and the main loom.

It costs nothing but 15 mins of time and a few basic tools to check - I put this 'How to' together for someone over on Badweb. I have included a basic circuit diagram in this so you can see there are only a few basic building blocks to check and eliminate.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AflAL-QRJACkZDRyYnh3cl8yMGRxNWtoZg&hl=en

I have seen many instances of a poor connection here where the pins were not obviously burnt/melted so the detailed pin check is worth the effort.
The latest version of the pre-'08 regulators come with a different style of electrical connector - see the last page.

My '06 drove me mad with intermittent charging at around 16,000km - once I had figured out this connector problem I have cleaned it every year or so and now have 92,000km on it with no further charging issues.

AdventureUly
02-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Great stuff, i will have to check this out.

I just got my bike back yesterday after three months. The dealer said that the charging problem was a bad connector. I can only assume that it is as you said.

I will check it my self just to be sure. [smirk]

my99scoob
02-01-2010, 11:24 AM
dont think this is the 77pin, that would just reset the clock randomly (as it did mine). sounds like the voltage regulator or the alternator. alternator is expensive, but the regulator is about £70 fitted by a buel dealer. they can diagnose both with the plugin software. if the dealer you are using is not a buel dealer, they might not have the ECU plugin software to diagnose this...

TooFst
02-01-2010, 01:50 PM
I'd say it's a buell thing!! Every new batt. I've owned was good for about the first two weeks and then slowly goes down hill. I've allways chalked it up to the fact that the fan runs after the bike shuts off and then sits there with a lower charge till the next time it fires up. Get a batt. tender or a gel cel

ericry
02-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Its not a Buell thing.

If you're not riding your bike for weeks at a time I would connect it to an optimate or such battery charger/trickler, other than that it should be ok.

Best is to lift the seat, then run the bike and put a test meter to the battery terminals - you should see 13 or 14 volts which indicates that a charge is coming through - if you dont see this at idle then rev the bike a little to 1500 revs or so and it should be there, if not then there is a charging problem.

Dont run your bike too long stationary as it heats up quick !!

Eric.

AdventureUly
02-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks for your advice.

I am going to take it to a HD dealer and have them run some tests.

03Firebolt9R
02-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Not a Buell thing. My 03 has had the same battery for several years with no problems, except for the winter months when it sits for long periods. Nothing a charger cant fix though.

AdventureUly
02-11-2010, 07:28 AM
Well the bike is back now with fully tightened and cleaned electrical points, new gel battery and a full service all free of charge.

So far so good.

Oh and they gave me a £60 pair of summer gloves too.. in exchange for my small screen.[up]

AdventureUly
02-16-2010, 11:46 AM
I have now ridden the bike for about a week, in rain, muddy unsurfaced roads, puddles and good old tarmac.

And still no further issues. With what the dealer has done and some extra suggestions from you guys, I think my bike is in better shape than before.

So thanks for your input.:)