PDA

View Full Version : my buell and my buell dealer has let me down

keisersozae
08-21-2007, 08:51 PM
I'm new, my name is derek, and i own a 07 xb12r firebolt. i bought it jul 2. i have been reading the posts since i got mine but registered today because i finally had something to say. last Monday i was on my way to work, aprox 5 miles in, and it starts cutting out, like i lost a cylinder, doing 50 mph. i stopped, its running on one cylinder, backfiring and spitting. CRAP. my dad takes it in for me to my local Harley dealer. that was Monday. thursday i get a call saying its the coil, they have to order it. today Tuesday, i call, they say the coil came in yesterday and they put it on but my bike's still broke. i talked to the service manager just now in person to extend my dissatisfaction for the amount of time it takes them to diagnose problems(wrongly) and order parts. he tells me they just don't see enough of these bikes to efficiently work on them. they don't know whats the matter with mine and are calling buell to see if its happened to other buells and what they did to fix it. bunch of horse **** if you ask me. my bike has 1400 miles on it and this is day eight of it being at the shop with no real end in sight. i have always ridden hondas, and longest time any one of them were in the shop was 12 days and that was for a warped crankshaft (new motor). i feel like someones jerking me around and they aren't really taking it seriously that i don't have a ride right now because my $10k buell that i just bought is mysteriously unfix-able. the service with these bikes i just find unacceptable. i read others complaints and now know how you feel. its like trying to get your Mercedes fixed at a ford dealer. they don't like you and would rather not work on your bike. oh by the way, before this happened, my bike was the most fun to ride bike i have ever owned, just wish the service was better.

midlifecrisis
08-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Search for posts regarding HD attitude. Sorry to hear 'bout your trouble. Mines in the shop for a bent fork leg right now, at least 1 week to get the part. Fortunately the parts mgr at my dealer is a real Buell freak so at least he's looking out for me even though he ain't in the service dept. cos most everybody else there don't know or seem to care much about the Buells.

LeFox
08-22-2007, 07:31 AM
personally I would try another dealer...a pro-Buell one!

I don't know wtf our mechanics need to train once a year in the u.s. for, if the u.s. mechanics don't know how to work on the bike [confused]

also, I would call/email Buell and inform them about this.
this is a clear warranty case and if they don't know how to fix it, they owe you a new bike!:o

velvetpants57
08-22-2007, 07:46 PM
Was your bike a demo bike? I had the same problem. did the exact same thing. take it to a pro Buell dealer and they will rebuild the top end of the bike as the mushroom seals around the valves did not set properly and your bike is fouling out. have your dealership call legends Harley Davidson in Silverdale, Washington, and look up the file for Dallas Wilson. or you could talk to the head sales guy for buells whos name is Brian.

Good luck and don't give up.

XBear9S
08-23-2007, 12:48 AM
Velvetpants57 probably nailed it.
I've heard of this before.

Also try badweatherbikes.com
post a thread there with yer prob and they'll hit ya back.
There's probably already a thread with many posts.

As far as yer HD dealer.
You can get pissy and take it somewhere else where they'll know about as much.
Or you can help them figure it out and let them learn.
The next guy who needs 'em will thank you for it.

Yer a Bueller now.
As long as you own a Buell, its gonna be like this.
That's ifin' you don't help change it.
At least the guy @ the HD shop was frank and honest.
He wasn't blowin' smoke up yer ass.
That's better'n most places.

RobtK!42 a.k.a. "SpecialK!"

"If the person in the next lane at the stoplight rolls up the window and locks the door, support their view of life by snarling at them."
--Anonymous HellBuelly

keisersozae
08-24-2007, 02:25 PM
mine wasnt a demo, i got it back on tuesday. they said wiring issue, something grounding out i guess. anyway riding to work this morning (friday) and its doing it again. good advice thought xbear9s. its hard to not be frustrated when i have never had issues with other motorcycle manufactures. but really what can you do. i hope when it goes in this time it gets fixed for real. i dont have another car and this thiings proving to be about as dependable as the vw beetle i drove in highschool.

slwglide
08-24-2007, 10:58 PM
maybe try contacting someone at buell yourself. They may respond to you with some advice. The harley dealer mechanics are all certified, but i wonder how many of them were really grease monkey's before they had the course. It sounds to me like there just pokin and hopin with your bike. Would another dealer look at it?

maybebuell
08-24-2007, 11:21 PM
one of the big reasons a lot of harley dealers dont carry buells anymore..there a high problem bike with little support from buell,,hard to collect for warrenty work through buell...once buell completly changes all there motors to non harley motors..the dealers will drop them all

keisersozae
08-25-2007, 07:00 PM
the new 1125r is a rotax engine, who the hells gonna fix that thing. harley mechanics? at least my buell has a harley motor and yet its still giving them problems. i have been posting on badweatherbiker trying to get their input or to see if others have had the same problems but with little success. i really like my bike but i will give it up if this situation doesnt go away. lemon laws are not hard to meet qualifications, when your dealer gives you a bike back with the same problems a few times. kinda makes you feel like your new bike isnt worth a new bike price if you know what i mean. this is gonna be its second weekend away and im having a hard time enjoying it when its just sitting in the shop.

LeFox
08-25-2007, 10:01 PM
the least the dealer can do, i give you a bike for the time your bike is in the shop...

keisersozae
08-26-2007, 12:35 AM
when pigs fly i bet they loan me a bike. it kinda sucks because i have had my own transportation, uninterupted for about 6 years. i feel like a kid again. i look irresponsible at work, not having my own transportation. my friends and family are like i told you so. so why did you buy a buell again? i tell them when its running its the coolest motorcycle ever. i just cant wait to get it back.

LeFox
08-26-2007, 07:28 AM
seems you're not having any luck with the bike.

hope they find the solution.
they should check your cables & connections.
if they are not installed correctly they rub against the frame, causing short-circuits.

that is mostly the case with these kind of things and when not repaired completely, you will always have problems with it.
best solution, get a new wire set and install it from scratch.

could you ask them what they mean with 'wiring issue', were it was located and what they did to resolve it.

keisersozae
08-26-2007, 05:08 PM
im pretty sure it was under the dash in that huge bundle of wires. the other day before i took it to them i just mashed on all those wires and tried to move em around a bit and that seemed to make it run better. i call it my caveman approach. whatever, it got me to the shop. i wish i could go riding to today, its a beautiful sunday. i guess i'll take a cab and ride with the window down making motorcycle noises instead.

BuellPartsGuy
08-26-2007, 08:23 PM
Well guys, not to rain down on you, but coming from an inside perspective, I can under stand why it sometimes takes longer to get a Buell fixed then a Harley. It traces back to the inventory that we have to keep here at the dealer. We only stock stuff that moves, and lets face it, Buells arent exactly main stream, so parts for them dont move as fast as other things we stock. Depending on where you are located in the county, it may take up to a week and a half for the parts to even get to your dealer, and then they still have to get the work done, which as it seems most of the time, isnt a top priority on most service departments "to do lists" I know a lot of dealers out there arent exactly Buell friendly and literate, so that is already a battle in the first place, but I know what the dealers have to face when it comes to having that kind of stuff on hand also. And even I have a complaint about Buell myself. I try to get Buell stuff for people and it takes 2-3 times longer to get versus Harley stuff. I dont understand that when some of it even comes out of the same warehouses. I feel your pain guys and I understand where you are coming from. I am doing my best to at least change that from the inside.

LeFox
08-26-2007, 08:48 PM
bpg, sounds like you're even better off ordering the stuff through europe.
most of the things they have in stock and ordering special gear doesn't take more than a week...

Phrogg
09-01-2007, 11:50 PM
My bike likes to "backfire/spit" (don't know what you call it) when I let off the throttle. I was told this is normal. Is this something I should look into?

I have the jardine pipe on it. Don't know if that matters or not.

BigRedWood
09-02-2007, 03:21 AM
I tend to just read forums but this topic chaps my ass. So I registered and if you can't stand it . . . buy a Harley.

I tip my hat to keiser for lasting this long. My local Harley dealers understand one thing . . . money. If you are buying chrome you get a 'free handy' on your third purchase. Maybe even a date with one of the cashiers if you pay the mechanics to put on your polished kickstand.

As a sport rider I was given the shaft at my local dealer. I was forced to wait two hours for a bike that I paid cash for. I literally grabbed a sales person and set cash on a new xb12stt. He took the cash, a little paper work and asked my weight to setup the bike. Then I waited and waited and waited. Harley employees danced like little ants carrying chromed parts to various queens, I was forgotten.

Finally a mechanic asked me for a light. As he smoked a camel he told me of a xb12stt that was anxiously awaiting its new owner. My new bike and I were introduced, skipped the picture/intransits and rode off into the fading sunlight.

From my experience I have learned that only the mechanics that own buells should work on them. Also I have dealt with several other dealer shops . . . this is par for the course. (You work best on what you are interested in.) Find a local mom and pop shop that deals with aftermarket harleys. ('Salt of the earth' bike mechanics can tune the carbs on a mid 70's cbx before a harley mechanic can change the oil in a buell.) These are the places where the dealers send your screaming eagle motors or bore jobs. They know thier bikes and do better work. From rebuilding your forks to finding kick-ass mods for your bike, you will not find better people. Plus they will let you do some of the work on your own. At worst you my learn a little about your own damn bike.

Harley dealers do good oil changes and bike detailing. They have lots of Harley parts in chrome. My local dealer even has lots of carbon-fiber Buell parts. But the personal service is best described as lacking. Hopefully Erik Buell will realize this before the facts are undertood by the consumers. His bikes sell themselves. The service will keep me from buying another on.

I also own a Honda Rvt that is fun to ride, a better cornering bike and has a lot more power. This bike lacks the feel of an everday ride though. A 200 mile trip is ended with a long session of massage and stretching. But the buell offered a better touring feel without losing my love for v-twin sport bikes. I will probably never part with this bike for the fact that the motor is fairly elementary to work on, rebuild, and spice up. But my days walking into a HD dealership to shop have ended as quickly as they had begun.

So love or hate your new bike.

Go buy a service manual for your xb. Find others in your community who ride buells. Continue to read and share on forums. Get a second bike or lower your standards to a cheap backup car.

For I have put one thing into perspective when my Buell is approached by Harley employees/riders.

The lack of chrome and paint . . .
an absence of deafening pipes . . .
every harley emblem grounded off my buell . . .
These things illustrate my defining draw to riding -that I enjoy riding for the ride, whereas the Harley folks ride thier chariots to be seen, heard, and admired.

LeFox
09-02-2007, 08:42 AM
My bike likes to "backfire/spit" (don't know what you call it) when I let off the throttle. I was told this is normal. Is this something I should look into?

I have the jardine pipe on it. Don't know if that matters or not.

is perfectly normal...that 1 of the charms of a jardine [up]

Phrogg
09-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Cool! Thanks!!!

His_and_Her_Buells
09-02-2007, 07:56 PM
So I registered and if you can't stand it . . . buy a Harley.

You hit the nail on the head with your entire post but the one thing I hate worse than the treatment of Buell owners by a Harley dealership, is a Harley!

BuellPartsGuy
09-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Thats like driving a Chevy and hating GMC.... [confused]

Das Bolt
09-03-2007, 02:30 AM
BigRedWood is right mom and pop shops are the way to go,the dealers might have all the fancy toys but when the person working on your bike is the same person that you look in the eye and hand money to it tends to cut down on the bull****.The guy I go to has a real good reputation,works on jap. bikes,Harleys,races a Ducati.Told me flat out he never worked on an XB,I still trust him more than my local dealer.

midlifecrisis
09-03-2007, 02:35 AM
Hey BuellPartsGuy, is your name Tony? Don't answer, but if you are - thanks, if you're not it's good to know there's another Buell fan out there in HD dealerland.:)

MrOrange
09-03-2007, 04:41 AM
BigRedWood is right mom and pop shops are the way to go,

I hear you, if I need to take mu XB9 in I use a small shop that usually caters to the BMX guys. They are happy to work on my Buell.

BuellPartsGuy
09-03-2007, 05:31 AM
Thanks, midlifecrisis. I am trying to show some people out there, that there is good guys that work at the dealers. You just have to talk to different people.

keisersozae
09-03-2007, 06:13 PM
well i have been out of town for about a week but i see some of you posted some stuff. i called early last week and asked if they had fixed it and they told me that they were going to replace the plug wires, that they were arcing(dont know how to spell that) and that they were going to adjust the tps sensor. that was monday or tuesday. i havnt heard anything since. i hate calling up there so i didnt bother them last week but maybe tommorow i will get some good news. today is day 20 i beleive thats its been in the shop, yesterday it was 2 months old. i kinda forget that i bought it untill someone asks where the hell it is or the payment reminder comes in the mail. but when that happens i really miss it. it is so much fun to ride. it's a shame really that these things happen to people who just wanna ride.

maybebuell
09-03-2007, 09:51 PM
boston harley was just sold...first thing the new owner did was get ride of all the top guys and replaced them with kids right out of..MMI or whatever the school is called...theres 90 % of the problem harley is having

paying then 10$a hour

keisersozae
09-03-2007, 10:36 PM
i dont think thats it. i think they made a motorcycle thats impossible to diagnose. there is definitly something wrong but they cant find it. their only hope is to guess and then order parts. by the time they should have had it done, they are only scratching their heads for the second time. first they said coil, rush ordered the coil, installed coil. wasnt it. 2 more days then its fixed without ordering parts. thats took 8 days. 2 days later its back in there, this time for 12 days tommorow, if i get it back then. if it was the plug wires and the tps adjustment like they said, it should have been done by now i think. im just frustrated. i dont want my money back but i think i would like a new one, maybe one thats not yellow just for good measure.

BigRedWood
09-04-2007, 12:34 AM
"Thats like driving a Chevy and hating GMC...."

No it isn't. A Chevy and a Gmc share more in common than just a motor. Show me a single buell that looks, smells, and rides like a harley. This isn't a debate between a Denali and A Tahoe. It is like askin' a Ford truck Mechanic to work on a Mustang because they share a similiar motor. It is retarded and I find myself doin' the Lewis Black Finger thing at your post!

"Thanks, midlifecrisis. I am trying to show some people out there, that there is good guys that work at the dealers. You just have to talk to different people."

I understand your plight as a guy sittin' behind a counter asking a damn computer for parts answers. This poor bike owner is stuck trying to find rides to work while unqualified monkeys are saying, "Righty tighty, lefty loosey" in there simple heads. Don't tell me to go and find better people at a dealership that continues to eye my damn wallet. There are decent buell mechanics at my local shop but they are directed by a idiot that rides a damn harley. I personally watched 'five', yes count em' on your hand. (even the fat one that allows you to use tools) These five morons tried to convince me that it took all of them to remove the motor from a Xb12. I have personally removed my 1203 with the assistance of only my father so it could be powdercoated.

Be a real help BuellPartsGuy and tell Kieser that the problem can be fixed and how. I being a gearhead and an individual who enjoys working on motors suggest this. An gasoline engine need three things: Fuel, Ignition, and Compression. If it has been already whittled down to ignition, your local parts guy should order every single ignition part and systematically replace each piece. At the point in which the bike begins purr like a kitten, tah dah! Then share the information with the buell community.
I feel that the problem will probably exist somewhere else. Ignition would more than likely hamper both cylinders though. Have they split your case yet. Have they tried a few different paths. Maybe one cylinder is gettin too much or too little fuel. Is one piston/head/cylinder/valve scarred or punched out. But what do I know. BuellPartsGuy must be right, you just have to talk to different people at your HD dealership.

Now BuellParts Guy. I'm not picking on you personally. But you share similiar excuses and tone as the people at my local dealership. A Buell is not a Harley. Don't try to argue it or make anymore excuses. If you honestly work for Buell . . . you should be brainstorming ideas and finding answers for you customer keisersozae. Don't tell us about the damn insight of inventory and more people ride harleys. If buells weren't mainstream, why are xb-series out selling the '07 cbr600rr in my city. I end with the fact I find it hard to listen to a guy bad-mouth his own product. So best of luck to ya keisersozae and hope you get ridin' soon.

BuellPartsGuy
09-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Well, one thing is BigRedWood, being that guy behind the counter, I see a lot of the bad Buell riders that come in too. Its not always the dealers fault. A lot of Buell guys try to work on their own bike, or have not qualified people doing work and that can cause nightmares all over. Second, a Buell is part Harley. The cylinders and pistons are the exact same part numbers just for one example. Hell, the XR1200 is Buell fuel injection, forks and heads. So whether you like it or not, they share some characteristics. Third if you are a mechanic, you should know not to just start ordering and throwing parts at a bike just to get it fixed. You have to properly diagnose the bike, replace the broken part and move on. Thats how dealers get bad reps for jacking people around is just throwing parts at the bike and blowing money away because its not theirs. I know I would be pissed if they were doing that to my bike. Fourth, its kinda hard to diagnose and fix a bike without actually having my hands on it. Service history, modifications to the bike, mechanic competentcy, rider competentcy can all be factors on how hard it can be to diagnose also. Which traces back to if the person they are dealing with at their dealer is jacking them around and giving them the straight story or not. Plus I get tired of explaining the same thing several times. Not that its that big of a deal, but thats what the search function is for. You need to look around other posts and see if someone else has shareda a similar problem and how they got it fixed. But if anyone needs real help just address a post straight to me. I dont always read every single post to know if people need better help then what they are getting. I will do my best to get them fixed or pointed in the right direction.

keisersozae
09-04-2007, 04:26 PM
im sorry for stirring things up. i started this post to find out if there were similar situations as mine. i thought that maybe someone elses xb had done the same thing. but at the same time im also venting my frustration at how long it takes and how uninsuring they are that they fixed it. i have read alot of posts, alot, people who have buells that repeatadly take them back for the same problems because they werent fixed the first time. thought they fixed it, turns out they didnt. i dont expect any more help on this site than what i have got. you guys have helped me through this with suggestions on how to fix it, and to how to deal with my local dealer. but people like me need to post this info. people need to see that not every buell runs like a top forever. some, like mine, i believe have something wrong from the factory, and the customer just has to take it.

that being said

i called this morning and they said that they had rode it 3 or 4 times and were going to ride it again today and that i could come and pick it up, it was ready. so keep for fingers crossed that this is the end of this post, that all is well in buell land, and that i got my face in the wind by the time you read my post.

XBear9S
09-04-2007, 11:19 PM
I can say that @ 34k in miles I've seen little trouble w/my bike. (Thank God!)
I can tell you that in the ol'e tuber days things were different.
I can tell you that the majority of my Bueller friends don't take their bikes to the HD shop.
I can tell you that its the same @ all HD shops and until things change it will stay that way.
I can tell you that other brands get better service from the vendor.
I can tell you that you have every right to be angry and frustrated.

What I can't tell you is the answer.
And from the looks of this thread, neither can anyone else.
We are in this together.
If you can't handle it, buy a Jap bike or Harley.
If you want it easy, then there you go.

For the true hardcore Buellers, its less bitchin' and more research.
Between a good 10-15 of us her in Austin,
there ain't never been a time when someone couldn't help one of us figure it out.
That's why we hang together.
Its like my experience times 20 or more every Thursday night.

Use your resources.
Make notes and ask questions.
Start with the simplest answers.
Move through a process of elimination.
Double check your findings.

When all's said and done,
You and your bike will be better for it.

Robtk! a.k.a. "Specialk!"

slwglide
09-05-2007, 02:06 AM
I would like to think that with the size of all the new harley dealerships they could keep a few buell parts in stock. So they could trouble shoot faster. Why should you have to wait three to five buisness days everytime they are wrong.

midlifecrisis
09-05-2007, 02:59 AM
My Firebolt's been in since 20 August. Went in for service and they found my right fork leg (the slider) was bent and that side was dry. The parts mgr (a true Bueller) said someone must have hit me while parked. Now they told me the part was due in on 05 Sept so I'm waiting for good news tomorrow. Can't see why in took so #@$%&$! long for the damn part, but there you have it. One thing I can say is I'm real impressed with my bike for doin' so well with a bent and oil-less fork. Can't say for sure till I get her back to compare since we have no way of knowing how long she's been like this. Again, Ive ridden her hard from day one (well from 500 miles anyway) and this bike has always been there, always performed when asked and never given me the least bit of complaint in any turn I've made. Says a lot for the Buell product (regardless of HD dealer attitude or incompetence)

slwglide
09-06-2007, 09:58 PM
You have to properly diagnose the bike, replace the broken part and move on.
Some problems require part swapping to diagnose. Also why should the dealer have to charge you for every part they replace. If it still isn't fixed put the part back on the bike. With the cost of these bikes I exspect good service not B/S. Maybe a public rating system would remove some of the lead from these dealers rear end.

keisersozae
11-01-2007, 10:11 PM
OK, Bike back in the shop for the SAME THING, this is the 3rd time. went to go riding with some new friends on friday night. met up and they were interested in my bike, of course, they all ride japs. we left out of the parking lot, bike was warm, went about 3 miles and it loses a cylinder. they pulled over with me while i attempted to wiggle some wires. didnt work. they went ahead while i sat with my new motorcycle that continually lets me down. i was soo embarrased. bike will be 4 mos old tommorow, and tommorow will be day 30 in the shop. i called the dealer today and they said they put new plugs in and now it doesnt run at all. makes me sick. is there anything that i could have done to cause this? i mean its bone stock. 32xx miles now. i have ridden it in the rain before but not in months, i just dont get it.

dmp0001
11-01-2007, 11:00 PM
one of my riding buddies is an attorney, he said that depending on your state lemon laws you may be entitled to a replacement bike! a new bike under warranty shouldn’t have un-diagnosable issues. your dealer most likely wont want to go through the hassle of getting you a new one but if you do a little research and most of the leg work yourself, it would probably take you less time to get a new bike than to wait for them to fix this one. if I was you I would go this route, sounds like yours was built at 4:30 on a friday over at buell!

dmp0001
11-01-2007, 11:02 PM
what state do you live in? I can look it up for you

keisersozae
11-01-2007, 11:04 PM
more like 4:59 when they had to come in on a saturday.

yeah my letter to the manufacturer to ask for buy back, goes out tommorow certified mail, the 30th calender day its been in the shop, its 4 month birthday. this is the first step in the lemon law here in texas.

dmp0001
11-01-2007, 11:11 PM
excellent, I can never figure out why dealers have such a hard time with these bikes, they are a simple design based on something they came up with over 50 years ago. I know the chassis is a technical marvel but not to the point of being complicated. and the FI system in my brothers '95 Honda civic is more advanced and complicated than that of my Buell... what gives?
[confused]

keisersozae
11-01-2007, 11:20 PM
im dying to know as well

mrdozer2you
11-02-2007, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I would definitely push for a new bike....or at least your $$$$$ back. I'm pretty sure that Buell will take care of you. Don't rely on the dealer anymore...they had their chance/s.

I hope you weren't too hostile in your letter to Buell, I always try the super nice approach first...before I release the attack dogs :D:D:D.

keisersozae
11-02-2007, 02:36 PM
i used a standard form to inform them of my intentions. nothing hostile. i havnt even been that crabby with the dealer. i just call them alot because im usually wanting it back.

zombieBUELLer
11-02-2007, 06:10 PM
sorry to hear youre having such ****ty luck with your bike. i think youre on the right track with the letter. and im really interested to hear how this turns out.

keisersozae
11-02-2007, 06:32 PM
i started this thread over two months ago. it will end when that bikes fixed or gone. i sent out the letter to the manufacturer today explaining i wanted it replaced or bought back. next im sending a form called a lemon law complaint form to the texas department of transportation along with my $35 fee. i also called buell customer support to notify them of my situation. so now all i have to do is wait. i havnt decided if i want a new one or i want it bought back. im looking at other bikes and they just dont do it for me. wish mine was ok, it really is hard not to grin when you get on the gas and you hear that grunt. updates will follow as my situation continues.

keisersozae
11-02-2007, 11:33 PM
called the dealer this afternoon and they said that they were going to replace the crank position sensor and the ecu. this came from a recomondation from buell. they said "we are confident this will fix your motorcycle". parts are supposed to be in on monday and they assured me they would get right on it as soon as those parts arrived. anyone down here in south texas wanna loan me bike for the weekend, i have seperation anxiety.

dgp
11-02-2007, 11:51 PM
I feel your pain Keisersozae. I was foolish when I got my 07 xb12s and took it out to do some corner action, things didn't go so well (this was my first bike)

The bike after dropping it needed a frame replacement, and some other minor things (suprisingly just the mirrors handlebar grips and seat)

The shop had my bike for 4 and a half months! I guess producing a frame for a lightning takes some kind of modern miracle.

devildog3042
11-04-2007, 10:34 PM
im really sorry to hear about your problems. i ride an xb9r and it had some engine trouble a few weeks back too, but it only took 2 days to fix. when i rode it the motor would start sputtering sporadically and the engine light would come on. also when i shut it off the cooling fan would not kick on. that is how i KNEW something was wrong and took it to the shop. im stationed in north carolina but i bought the bike in chicago (home). i rode the bike down here in early october and along the way the engine temperature sensor rattled loose. downfall of a harley motor...it shakes and sometimes it shakes **** loose. they fixed it and the bike has been running great since. as a guy who rides a couple hundred miles a day just cuz i can, i truly sympathize with you. i was off the bike for 2 days and was having withdrawals. i cant imagine a couple months! especially considering all i have is my buell. but on that note the sun is setting and the bike is calling me. (sorry, dude!)

keisersozae
11-06-2007, 12:46 AM
didnt get my bike back today, maybe tommorow.

keisersozae
11-06-2007, 09:04 PM
i am so sick of waiting around on my dealer to fix my bike. they said they ordered the parts on friday OVERNIGHT. well today is tuesday and they are saying they are still not there. who knows. i think they are trying to push me over the edge.

mrdozer2you
11-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Their lying...been there done that. They tell you what you wanna hear so you stop calling.

keisersozae
11-07-2007, 03:37 PM
talked to buell customer service this morning. i feel like even if my bike is fixed today they at least owe me an apology, or maybe a **** load of stickers, or some free scheduled maintanence or something but when i brought this up he was like NO. we cant just do that for everyone, thats not the way we do business. so i said it would be easier than repurchasing the bike from me, to keep me happy. he said they have very high paid attorneys and if i wanted to go that route they would fight me. i dont know what im gonna do, i really didnt expect him to be a dick. i really thought they would try to make things right and keep a customer. but hey im suprised everyday at this ****. gonna roll up to the dealer here in a few and pick up my problem if they finish it. they are probably reading this thread and laughing at how long they can drag something out.

mrdozer2you
11-08-2007, 12:41 PM
he said they have very high paid attorneys and if i wanted to go that route they would fight me.

Let them.....your problem isn't with them. You would be suing Buell corporate(if you go the lemon law route), not the dealer. Then Buell will probably settle with you and either give you a new bike or, more likely, force the dealer to give you your money back. So that you'll "go away". Its kinda sad that companies treat people the way they do, but such is the way of the world.

Merddyn
11-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Keisersozae, I am VERY interested in how this turns out for you. I am also new to Buells (actually, I am new to motorcycles in general) having only bought mine 2 months ago. I have also had issues with my bike and problems getting timely service though nowhere near your level as of yet. My bike has been in the shop twice though with both times taking over a week. The most recent time, just got it back this week actually, they had to order a back tire cause they didn't have any in stock. Both my own experiences and reading of yours as well as some others makes me rather sad as my Firebolt is an AWESOME bike...when it works like it is supposed to and I can actually ride it, but the support for it is simply awful.

Yes, I did see the posts regarding getting parts in that don't get sold much and service centers not seeing that many Buells come through the door so they are hard to work on, but frankly I feel that's a load of llama dung. For you service techs, please don't misunderstand my comment. I do not hold you guys accountable for the lack of support provided by Buell. My issues with my dealer's service group were when they sat on the bike for 3 days before anyone ever got around to looking at my bike when I had a service appointment in advance...but that's another subject. My thoughts on the matter are that Buell is self-perpetuating their own problem. They aren't doing a good enough job providing adequate parts and goodies for the Buell enthusiasts because not enough Buells or parts get sold. If you want to build up a brand, you HAVE to stand behind your product and support it for your distributors. If you do that, you get a better reputation, which draws more customers, which sells more parts, which gets the service techs more experience in fixing the issues, which provides Buell with data to improve their bikes by resolving common issues, and so on in a circle of life that grows the brand. Of course Buell dealers don't sell many Buell parts or customizing accessories because they don't sell many Buells because they aren't supported enough. [mad]

Bottom line is this, Buell needs to get off their rear ends and start supporting their product or they need to call it quits and shut their doors. Harley has grown because it has always supported it's product and given the owners what they wanted as far as accessories and customization and the same goes for all the jap bikes out there and Buell should take some notes if they want to succeed. I love my bike's look, performance, and sound and would be a Buell owner for life if Buell turned things around, but right now all I can think is that maybe I should have gone for something a little more mainstream. I have even determined (after only 2 months) that my next bike will NOT be a Buell unless things change.

Just my two cents.

BuellPartsGuy
11-23-2007, 06:56 PM
My two cents are, if you guys were on the other side of the counter and saw the things that went on, your views might change. A lot of the times, it cant be helped. It cannot be changed, because trust me, I have tried to help rid the problem for this side.

flicky
11-27-2007, 03:05 PM
My best friend is a motorcycle mechanic and has been for many years, He now works for a Yamaha dealership but has worked for all the "jap" dealerships in the area. His main complaint is that dealerships are stocking less and less parts than before and you have to wait to service the simple things.
This problem you're having with getting parts is NOT just Buell/HD related. It's a problem everywhere. Some dealerships are better about about keeping parts on hand then others.

keisersozae
12-01-2007, 02:57 PM
My two cents are, if you guys were on the other side of the counter and saw the things that went on, your views might change.

Believe me, there is not anything that goes on behind the counter that would change my mind. probably a lot of grab ass and harley jokes anyway. i understand that its not your job to defend their business practices so i wish you wouldnt if all you can say is "it cant be helped" "It cannot be changed".

Small minded people think like this. people who are complacent think this way. when i think of Buell, i think of innovation. All the hard work that went into designing these bikes takes a strong minded individual. someone who didn't say things like "it cant be helped" "It cannot be changed". It can be fixed, it will be changed or this brand will never thrive the way it should.

My bike still isn't tip top. it idles rough and is hard to start. if your hauling ass, it runs good but it will often die at a stop sign. and just since i got it back this last time the speedometer stops working sometimes. will your bike run through 5 gears with the kick stand down? mine does. But hey, its running and thats a lot better than it was. I'm not giving them another chance to throw parts at it while i sit and wait.

I am hooked on the bike. It is so much fun. I'm at 3800 miles now and i seriously am lost when its gone. it is an escape into another reality, twisting the throttle, feeling that v twin grunt as it propels you forward.

Eric Buell made an awesome bike. I think that his mind set and principles will eventually follow over into the support of the machines. until that day comes, it is what it is, no excuses.

BuellPartsGuy
12-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Believe me, there is not anything that goes on behind the counter that would change my mind. probably a lot of grab ass and harley jokes anyway

That just proves right there you have no idea whats going on.

With an attitude like that, bad karma will follow. I have zero sympathy. Good luck ever getting it to run right.

keisersozae
12-01-2007, 04:27 PM
tell me buellpartsguy what goes on that i dont see that would make me change my mind. i didnt mean to offend you i was only trying to keep it light.

BuellPartsGuy
12-01-2007, 07:39 PM
These are the hard facts, argueable about how they are or not...

It is primarily a Harley dealer, yes they carry Buell, but they are only a fraction of the sales that go out the door, so we only stock a fraction of the inventory to supply them. 90% of Buell stuff is pretty much a special order process. Dealers stock what sells on a regular basis, and Buell stuff just doesnt that often. Dealers are always ran by the almighty dollar, if you can fill the space with something that sells, then do it. Dont waste money making space on things that sell once a year.

Whether you guys try to be or not, when it comes to dealing with most Buell customers, you are a rare breed. Most people that work in this industry find most Buell riders hard to deal with. So that complicates things.

Depending on the dealer's size and onwership, not very many dealers actually send their employees to all the training offered. Some only send one person, once because that is all that is needed to pass the stanards to be an authorized service center. So it depends on how well that person pays attention in class and passes the knowledge on to others at the dealer.

Getting parts from Buell is also a problem in lots of parts of the country. It is very common place for them to take considerably longer to ship things then say Drag Specialties or Harley. Buell parts tend to backorder more frequently and for longer periods of time also.

XBear9S
12-02-2007, 03:18 AM
To BuellPartsGuy's point, one of my best friends handles the ordering and shipping for all of CentralTexasHarleyDavidsons customers including Buell. He is my best source and always in my pocket, but he tells me he has NO WAY OF TRACKING PURCHASE ORDERS and although he personally ordered several parts overnight for me, more often than not, they didn't come in for several days and there was NOTHING HE COULD DO ABOUT IT.

Having worked retail for years and having handles special orders, it is inane to me that he can be expected to do his job w/o knowing who his vendors are, and/or having a way to contact them in regards to PO's and their expedition. This guy is basically doing the best that he can with what he has to work with. It is what it is!

Now with Harley parts being so plentiful and so available, anything Joe Harley orders will either be in-stock or it will be there PDQ. For us Buellers, we might as well be riding some 1971 modified duc. The resource pool just doesn't work for us. They system isn't set up for us.

To further BPG's point. Money talks. As Buell grows, so will the quality of products and services, but we are way, way out there still. Maybe the "25" will open the doors to allow Buell to become a household name. Maybe that will lead to Buell only dealerships. Maybe someday we will find a fully stocked Buell dealership with Buell knowledgeable mechanics who ride, eat, breath and sleep Buell. That time is not today.

If you own a Buell, you've bought into a dream. That dream CAN be a nightmare. You must be resourceful, knowledgeable and/or patient. It isn't only about being all BADASS and pissy. I can tell you right now that the locat HD dealership doesn't give a rats ass about you and your attitude. They'd prob rather you just go the **** away. Yer $500 warranty repair is holding up the next $3k chrome R.O. and/or Screaming Eagle upgrade.

One of the biggest complaints I hear from the other side of that counter is about Buellers doin' their own mods. We're like that. We love to upgrade and modify out bikes and we don't want to wait for weeks whilst some HD shop gets around to it. So we figure it out ourselves and then there's a prob and the poor guy behind the counter's gotta diagnose the issue despite all the crap that we did and probably did wrong. This, and he's only seen 6 Buells in the 2 years he's worked there. Yer not being fair if you aren't considering all these factors.

If you want better service, get a jap bike.
If you want a Buell, get some bigger cajones and a service manual.

Robtk! a.k.a. "SpecialK!"

"If the person in the next lane at the stoplight rolls up the window and locks the door, support their view of life by snarling at them."
--Anonymous HellBuelly

BuellPartsGuy
12-02-2007, 03:31 AM
Amen......XBear9S

keisersozae
12-02-2007, 03:45 PM
i have been mad with how long it took them to service my bike in the past and im understanding how their system works. i get it. most of my parts have been overnighted when my bike was in the shop and i appreciate that. i believe that most of the people at the dealer want my bike to work properly and me to be happy with it, not just get my bike and i out of there. i have always been nice to the guys at the dealership even though i didnt always agree with how their system works.

my beef is that the bike is still having problems, problems that have left me dead on the side of the road, embarrased in front of people i ride with, and baffled as to how come they can't fix it. what im really wanting from buell is to look at my bike and find out exactly what is causing all the electrical issues. my dealer has used 3 different techs on it trying to get a fresh perspective on whats wrong. they all spent hours tracing wiring and replacing parts but the last time i picked it up, they said "im not telling you its fixed, buts its running". i think right now it prolly needs a tps reset or something because it feels like its a little out of time or something.

i feel as a consumer of a purchase of more than 10k, i deserve for it to be resolved. i like my bike, i say that a lot but i feel like i need to justify my comments. im not trying to bash buell, at this point, no other bike interest me more than a buell. but i feel like after so many dealer visits for essientially the same issue, buell should step in and resolve it.

i havnt bought one accesory for the bike yet for fear that the bike will never be repaired. i want a drummer real bad but i want my bike working properly before its anything but bone stock. i dont want anything that i have added to the bike to confuse whomever is working on it into thinking that my accesories are causing the problem.

do you really think that i should buy a service manual and try to figure this out myself after countless factory trained techs can't figure it out? i havnt done anything to it for fear if i tear it apart, im making it worse because then they have that to figure into the equation of what could be wrong, so i have never disassembled more than the tail to remove reflectors and the airbox to see how it worked. when my bike goes in its always clean and looks brand new, not a scratch on it. never worked on by anyone but their dealership.

you guys love this brand, i know this. me sitting in here with my problem is like me insulting you and your buell, but that is not what i am trying to do. in a way, im writing to the only people that i can relate to. i could tell my wife about my bike but im pretty sure my dachsund could make more sense of it. when i started the post i was very upset. and the things i wrote show it. but because of this post i have a learned a great deal. i appreciate your opinions, and all of your comments.

XBear9S
12-03-2007, 02:24 AM
If your bike is under warranty, you should let a certified tech to the work.
That means more time and more patience.
You deserve to have a bike that runs right out of the box.
**** happens and sometimes bikes don't run right.
If you dealer has done everything reasonable to get it right but can't,
then you have a legitimate gripe against Buell.
You may need to follow up on that.
That's what the lemon law is for.
It protects us against a faulty machine.

I feel your pain buddy.
You have every right to be upset and even angry.
I completely sympathize with your issues.
There are a bunch of threads on this site where people are just as upset as you.
They too have been to hell and back with their issues.
I had one frustrating experience that took 4 trips to the dealer to get right.
I was just as upset as you.
I too thought about pursuing the lemon law.
But in the end we figured it out. Me and HD.

I had a faulty coil recently and that damaged my ECM.
I had both replaced and after that she ran rugged for a while.
If she's fresh from the shop, its prob a good idea to keep her under 3k.
At least for a while.
In my experience, this gives the ECM time to iron out issues.
A TPS reset is probably a good idea.
If it doesn't help, then you prob need to dig some more.

I hope you get a working machine soon.
Whether that be a repaired one or a new one.
But when you do get back in the saddle,
its just a matter of time before you have to deal with something like this again.
You will be better for understanding how it works.
You will be better if you have more realistic expectations.

Robtk! a.k.a. "SpecialK!"

"Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle."
--Anonymous SageBuelly

PAIRTBOW
12-16-2007, 05:25 PM
my 04 did it n i had to have the tps remapped no biggy 5 minute job for them i got my service guy to do it for freee they love me there

PAIRTBOW
12-17-2007, 05:39 PM
try havin the TPS (throttle possition sensor) rezeroed in the computer. mine did something that sounds exactly what urs is doin at about 2000 miles let me kno how u make out its a 5 minute thing dont let them charge u more then a minimum service hour i got mine dun for free cuz i talk to my dealers alot n send them tons of work check it out hit me back n let me kno how u made out

slwglide
01-05-2008, 10:04 PM
it cant be helped" "It cannot be changed".

Small minded people think like this. people who are complacent think this way. when i think of Buell, i think of innovation. All the hard work that went into designing these bikes takes a strong minded individual. someone who didn't say things like "it cant be helped" "It cannot be changed". It can be fixed, it will be changed or this brand will never thrive the way it should.

Amen brother

Bigern
01-06-2008, 12:59 AM
Is there a motor oil equivalent to HD motor oil thatI could get at a local parts store?

golfnutXB
01-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Firstly can i say hi to one and all as this is my first post on this site.
I would just like to say that in a twisted sort of way, i appreciate the unreliability of the buell, lets face it we've all read the write-ups and still we buy the things so instead of moaning , i actually embrace the fact tha one day i will be caught out, but i expect it and also expect to take it to a dealer who will take forevever and a day to not fix it[confused]