PDA

View Full Version : Wind at High Speeds

netblue
08-23-2007, 03:07 AM
I've been a dirtbike rider for a while and always had my eyes on a Buell. So anyway I bought a xb12R and love it. Out on the highway around say 75mph the wind feels like it could rip you off the bike, hate to sound like a wuss, but not used to highway riding. This a product of the low windshield or of sportbikes on the highway in general? Will it actually blow me off the bike (or rather off-course) if I'm not careful?

fez
08-23-2007, 03:49 AM
sometimes it might move you around a little. you get used to it. out here (montana) we pretty regularly go 75+ on two late highways, it gets a little zesty when a semi trailer is going the opposite direction.

never thought about getting blown off the bike, i suppose if you sat straight up and let go of the handle bars real quick it could happen. but i've never heard of it.

its pretty much a product of sport bikes in general. you can tuck in tighter behind your fairing for more protection, but you will always get some buffeting. good earplugs help attenuate the noise and makes the noise go away at least.

its even worse for those of us on XB12S.

BuellPastor
08-23-2007, 04:07 AM
Earplugs are a must! I agree that it can be unnerving, but you do get used to it. It is worse on an S, but I must say how stable the bike feels on the xpressway. I just came off of a fantastic sport tourer and this Buell is really fun, even on the xpressway. I was thinking one of the first things I would do was get a taller fly screen, but Im really not even considering it now.

LeFox
08-23-2007, 07:59 AM
went 280km/h (174mph) once on a naked and had a hard time, but didn't get blown off.
weight: 74kg (163lb,lbs)

so on a racer like the xbr, you should have no problem. if you have problems getting used to it or want less wind, they are screens that bend a little on top or that are longer that can take care of that.

Das Bolt
08-24-2007, 12:18 AM
Zero gravity,double bubble has a higher profile that would help a little.

slwglide
08-24-2007, 11:04 PM
Do you guys use earplugs with your helmet? The wind is just part of the riding I had it with my harley even with a windshield it just hit me in a different spot.

fez
08-25-2007, 02:32 AM
i do.
my new helmet (hjc ac-12) is much quieter than my old (i actually found myself going 90 today without realizing it) but i still use the earplugs if im planning on riding more than a few minutes. the ear plugs cut down on the wind noise and actually let you hear what's going on around you better.

netblue
08-25-2007, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the replies, just making sure I'm not nutz...the jury is still out on that btw

Stylie420
09-08-2007, 08:19 PM
So I knew this guy that was riding out to the coast from portland oregon, and had a loose jacket on and the wind totally blew him off. my ex was following behind him and saved his life when he got sucked off and almost ran over. He wasn't even going that fast, i think it was just a combo of a huge gust of wind into the valley and a loose jacket that let alot of air in but not vent.

devildog3042
11-05-2007, 12:36 AM
the wind is normal on any bike. its just different with different windscreens. bottom line is the faster you go, the more the wind will try to push you back, but if you have a decent grip on the bike you wont get blwon off. usually around 90 or above i tuck in just to compenaste for that, bit it doesnt go away completely. it gets really bad in the triple digits. but the bike handles so well at high speeds.:D

midlifecrisis
11-05-2007, 05:23 AM
My only problem is the noise when I tuck in. Full face, half shell, it doesn't matter. That's what being 'in the wind' is all about.