PDA

View Full Version : Stalling when starting bike and engine vibration questions

randy4p
11-22-2009, 03:13 PM
I very recently purchased a 2009 XB12R. Practically every time I start the bike (1st time of the day when engine has cooled down) it will run for a few seconds and then stall. It will then continue to run the next time I start it. The dealer said to drop it off for a few days and they would check it out. But, I wondered if anyone has had this issue or knows how to fix it.

I also have an engine vibration question. My bike vibrates a bit at idle, not too bad though, and smoothes out once the rpm's rise a bit. But, my question in on deceleration. When decelerating the enginge seems to vibrate (moderatley but very noticeably) from roughly around the 2,200 rpm to 1,500 rpm range. Is this normal?

I love this bike, but am still just getting acquainted with it. I know buell are pretty unique and cannot be compared with anything else. So, I just wanted all of your input. Also, I've already received a new engine because of a missing part/oil pressure problem so maybe I'm oversentive to things and worried that somehow I got a bad XB12R. Thanks in advance for your input.

theoctopus
11-22-2009, 04:01 PM
A lot of us with 2009 XB12's have been having the same issue with the first start of the day. Some people have managed to fix it by removing the servo cable and ensuring that the interactive valve is always open. Others have found that replacing the stock spark plugs with NGK Iridiums (or the equivalent) have solved the issue.

My bike has been doing that since about 3 weeks after purchase. Took it into the dealer to have it looked at, and nothing was ever found (even after tearing the bike down completely for 2 days). They never charged me for anything as they never found anything, thank god. Either way, it has never been an issue in the reliability of the motorcycle.

The vibration is normal. I understand your sensitivity, but certainly would not worry about it.

randy4p
11-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the info. Good to know that this stalling is a minor thing and once fixed any issues will be resolved. I have to say the dealer has been really great about everything. The service manager even gave me a ride home they day they needed to keep the bike for the oil pressure issue. I also have to say that this forum seems great too! [up]

dave_xb12r
11-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Your idle may be a bit low. You can try a TPS reset. It may a simple fix

MickD
11-23-2009, 12:19 PM
TPS reset fixed this issue on my 09

stevebinary
11-24-2009, 08:25 PM
I have similar problem on my 05 xb12r, on the first start up of the day it will also run for a short while then stall and will do this a couple of times and then run like a pig for maybe 2 miles, everything is then fine. even if the bike is left for a full 8hr work day its only like this after 24hrs, so stone stone cold as it were.

I have had the TPS reset, it helped for a short while but then returned.(could it have moved again so quickly?)

It also does it with the standard exhaust and a Quill slip on exhaust.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated

GatorBuell
11-24-2009, 11:27 PM
The problem is when the bike goes from open loop to closed loop when at idle. In the mornings the cold start enrichment is at like 120% then the ecm switches over to open loop learn and its like pulling out the choke and it kills the motor. I turned off closed loop idle learn in ecmspy and no more problems. Adjusting the idle will not help the issue. You could take away some fuel in the idle cells if your running spy or just shut it off.

randy4p
11-26-2009, 09:01 PM
So I drop the bike off at the dealer, they keep it for a few days, and of course it starts and does not stall out every time for them. They did running diagnostics and everything is fine. But, they did find it could use an ecm update. I figure that maybe I'm an idiot.

Today is a very nice day in Denver so I take it out for a short ride. It stalls twice on me. Third time, then it runs fine. Seriously, am I an idiot? I have a Multistrada that only take a brush of the starter button and does all starting on its own. So, I made a conscious effort to hold in the starter button longer. Did not work obviously. Am I doing something wrong? I start the bike on an incline in my driveway. Is this bad? What am I doing different than the dealer?

toddb3
11-26-2009, 11:07 PM
GatorBuell, Are there any cons that you can thing of by switching off the closed loop idle learn? It makes sense that this could cause the studder or stall.

stevebinary
11-26-2009, 11:17 PM
we may be on different continents but mine and randy4p's buells were seperated at birth.

i'll try turning off the closed loop idle learn in ecmspy.

I haven't got the kit to try yet, but this seems to be a common buell requirement.

Is ecmspy easy to use?

Thanks

randy4p
11-27-2009, 12:26 AM
Also, the XB12R makes my garage reek of gasoline after riding it. Do all of your guys/girls XB's do this too?