PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Primary Chain

kyle_dewald
11-26-2009, 12:50 AM
I believe my primary chain is a bit loose, which way do I need to turn the adjuster to tighten the chain. Also how can I tell when it is adjusted right? If I open the small cover to show the top side of the chain, is there any seals that would need to be replaced?
Thanks in advance, I'm having to ride the bike strictly because someone hit me in my car and I cant afford for anything to happen to it.

50dro
11-26-2009, 01:32 AM
Download one of the manuals listed above and read section 1.11. Directions and specs are in that section.

I was going to post that section as a picture, but I couldn't figure out how to...Sorry.

GatorBuell
11-26-2009, 01:42 AM
First a Manual download it a good Idea. Link (http://www.buellxb.com/specs.php)

YOu need to check the chain when its hot. Put the bike in 5th gear and remove the inspection cover. With the bike off roll it forward until you find the tightest point in the chain. Just wiggle it with you finger and keep checking every few inches. Its usually in the middle of the compression stroke so when the bike fells hard to roll its most likely at the point where you need it. the adjustment should be between 1/4 and 1/2 inches of play, no more no less. To adjust it you need to loosen the bolt I believe its a 5/8 wrench then with a allen key turn the adjuster (I believe its counter clock wise to tighten)turn the adjuster a little and re-check. roll the bike around and find the tight spot again and recheck. Thats how I do it but its also outlined in the manual in the first section under Maintenance.

kyle_dewald
11-26-2009, 01:48 AM
Awesome thanks, I had forgotten that I had already download the service manual as well. dummy me