PDA

View Full Version : Pit Bull rear stand spool

JohnnyS999
11-26-2009, 07:51 AM
I decided to start a new topic regarding the spool subject just so it wouldn't get lost in the original thread. Anyway, I found what I think is a very good spool for the swingarm attachment point. Its made by Pit Bull and I bought it through Motowheels. Go to www.motowheels.com. Looks conforming and will allow some protection of the swingarm in the event of tip over or minor slide.

www.motowheels.comhttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/5308_20091126011736_L.jpghttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/5308_20091126011719_L.jpg

vosnick52
11-26-2009, 05:02 PM
I need some longer spools since my pit bull stand comes real close to the frame with the small spools.

JohnnyS999
11-26-2009, 06:35 PM
I don't think a longer spool will help, its the stand thats the problem, at least with the Pit Bull I have. Its maximum width falls short of fitting the wide swingarm of the bike. I believe you have to have one that stretches to around 16-17". I'll continue to use the stand on my 999R, but I'm thinking of picking up the pair from GPI Industries. For a "blem" model, both front and rear stands cost only $109, normally $139. Still cheap compared to Pit Bull and from what others have said, the GPI is a decent stand. The blem issue is minor, a very small hardly noticible paint flaw.

Even if you have a wide enough stand you must also have spools that are wide enough with a stop on the swingarm side. This to prevent the hooks of the stand from making contact with the swingarm.

The Pit Bull spools I have pictured are far enough away from the swingarm, all you need is a wide enough stand and your in business. The first spools I tried were named Iron Horse or something like that and they were simply too large, they looked odd on the bike.

samiam901
11-26-2009, 06:57 PM
I bought a pair of trex stands off ebay (less than $150 shipped) and love them. The swingarm stand adjusts to fit any size needed. I dont use the spools so I just stuck some old socks over the hooks to keep from rubbing my swingarm.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/4336_20091126125459_L.jpg

Kidder
11-26-2009, 11:07 PM
Johnny, do you have a part #? I'm looking at replacing my spools, too.

JohnnyS999
11-28-2009, 05:32 AM
Johnny, do you have a part #? I'm looking at replacing my spools, too.

I can get that for you, but I had a meeting with an internet aftermarket motorcycle parts company and I discussed the 1125CR spool issue. I'll be working with them on a number of Buell CR upgrades and the first will be an improved rear spool. Its not a big deal but he has the capability of having the delrin material spools custom made. I'm planning on offering a group buy for them through Motowheels. What I would like to see are some minor changes on the spool, making them perfect and easy to catch with a stand.

I can get you an ETA by next week, but if you need something right away the Pit Bull spools will work.
We have a bunch of other upgrade projects up for discussion and I think once people find out what they are they will be as excited as I am right now. You may ask, "isn't this the wrong time and circumstances to think about introducing aftermarket parts for Buell?" Maybe, to some degree, but my enthusiasm has overwhelmed me because the bike is growing on me. I'm really impressed by this bike and my background is Ducati heavy. In fact I had a Ducati Club meeting tonight and have I caught some comments since buying the bike. I don't care, in fact I'm taking it on a Ducati group ride this Sunday, the 999R is staying home!

I'm optimistic about these projects and cautiously hopeful we can do something in the light weight wheels department. If money were no object, yes it can be done, but money is a big factor. I for one have been an advocate of light weight wheels as the most important performance enhancer you can do to your bike. I don't think people in the know would disagree with that concept. Starting with my Ducati 900SS, I installed Marvic magnesium wheels, I put Marchesini forged aluminums on my Ducati 95 916 and have the special light weight Marchesinis on my 999R. I want to keep my fingers crossed on this upgrade project.

JohnnyS999
11-28-2009, 05:34 AM
I bought a pair of trex stands off ebay (less than $150 shipped) and love them. The swingarm stand adjusts to fit any size needed. I dont use the spools so I just stuck some old socks over the hooks to keep from rubbing my swingarm.

Those are nice looking, did you get a chance to check out the GPI stands?

samiam901
11-28-2009, 06:48 PM
Those are nice looking, did you get a chance to check out the GPI stands?

No, but I will do that now.