PDA

View Full Version : she quit on me.... coil and ecm?

Path125
08-27-2007, 04:04 PM
Hi,
2005 Buell XB12Scg 6000 km, all stock.

The other day she quit on me. She started fine and was warming up, then she was running on 1 cylinder and wasn't idling. Changed plugs, no difference. Then she started blowing the ignition fuse (twice).

Brought it to the dealer, the Ignition Coil was shot. They changed it, but it was the same. After investigating some more, everything is leading to the ECM. Now they have to replace it.

Has this ever happened to anybody? Any insight on the problem?

Could a Race ECM run with the stock exhaust + stock Filter?

thanks

LeFox
08-27-2007, 07:18 PM
2005 Buell XB12Scg 6000 km, all stock.
hopefully still warranty [confused]

Has this ever happened to anybody? Any insight on the problem?
never heard of this happening before

Could a Race ECM run with the stock exhaust + stock Filter?

will run, but not good and not for long...

XBear9S
08-14-2008, 05:16 AM
Just had my ecm fry for the second time. The first time it took the coil with it. This time the coil is ok, but will probably still replace. The first time I rode it about 3 miles to a gas station b4 she completely gave up the ghost. That's what blew the coil. This time (a little smarter) I pulled her off the road immediately.

Same symptoms. She suddenly overheats and drops a cylinder. Almost no power.

I don't want to make another temp fix. Hoping someone out there recognizes this issue. Since the first issue, I switch to the Jardine Titanium Exhaust but have been holding out on opening the airbox until I got a race ecm. So, I may upgrade this time 'round, but there's that nagging suspicion that this may be a symptom of a larger problem and that it may come back and bite me again.

Maybe a short of some sort? Causing the ecm to overheat and fry, taking the coil with it? The coil runs hot when you fire her up. They told me last time that I cracked the coil.

Anyone got any ideas?

Robtk! a.k.a. "Special K"

XBear9S
09-29-2008, 06:02 PM
We decided it was some type of short that was causing the issue. Went thru the wiring harness and taped up any possible grounds that might be shorting out the ecm. Went ahead and upgraded my new ecm w/a custom map and opened up the airbox.

That's the only good thing about these types of issues. Always an excuse for an upgrade...

So, I hope someone out there benefits from my experiences...

Robtk! a.k.a. "Special K"

"A skittish motor-bike with a touch of blood in it
is better than all the riding animals on Earth..."

--T.E. Lawrence