PDA

View Full Version : Dropped My Uly, Would Like a Lower Seat

jeff m
12-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Well this is embarrassing. I pulled a boneheaded move the other day. I'm sitting at a stoplight at the end of this little curvy section of road that I take on the way home from work. I say on the way home when actually it's a bit of a scenic route. Anyway, I'm stuck in traffic parked on this steep narrow uphill road and decide that I'll just pull a u-turn and get on my way. Given the narrow road, no shoulder, steep ditch, cars colse in front and back, and my starting point in the left side of the lane, there's not too much room, so I try to creep it around slow. I went to put my foot down, and due to the slope it didn't touch when I thought it would (like when you think you've stepped off the last of the stairs but there's really one more), which threw me off balance. The thing then got away from me, and I dropped it right there. Naturally, the light then turned green with me dead center on the yellow line blocking traffic from both directions until I heaved it back up on its wheels and got out of there. Minimal damage with a scrape on the lower corner of the side luggage and handguard.

Anyway, any seat lowering suggestions?

dave_xb12r
12-01-2009, 06:24 PM
I know how you feel. I am of the shortness as well and have had similar experiences. I shaved my seat down a little. That helped a lot.

joser
12-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Ditto on that but my sat fir my scg is as low as the seats go

jeff m
12-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks guys. Dave, did you shave the seat cushion yourself? Were you able to keep the existing cover?

dave_xb12r
12-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Yeah I did, I pulled the staples off and used an electric meat carver. I carved the top though. If I could do it again, I would peel the foam off of the plastic and shave the underside, then re glue it down and re staple. It was hard trying to get that original shape back once I carved the top side.

dave_xb12r
12-01-2009, 08:20 PM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1832_20090718172404_L.jpg

jeff m
12-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the tip Dave! I may have a look at doing that.

ebes67
12-09-2009, 07:18 PM
I just hit a patch of ice and dropped mine a couple days ago. Very lucky overall, as I got it slowed down almost to a stop before I actually went over. Ridiculously embarassing, but lucky. I think I need to look at lowering it a bit. If I could have gotten my feet down more firmly, I may have been able to save it.

Only minor damage, which includes breaking off the front master cylinder. Do any of you know my options for replacing it? The part is $168 from Harley. There are tons of used ones on eBay, but I'm not sure on compatibility. It's an 08 XT. Is the master cylinder specific to that year/model, or could I get away with a different year and/or something off a 12R or 9R?

Your input would be appreciated.