PDA

View Full Version : Noisy City x cams

Sawyer
08-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Hi

My City X seems to produce more noise from the cams when compared to other City X's. I've been told the same thing by 2 different mechanics and neither can give me a reason. I bought the bike second hand and the guy who sold it to me did'nt say anything about fitting race cams which is the only cause for the noise I can think of, The bike runs fine but if you get close to the cams they sound like there knocking more then others I've heard. Has anyone else got the same problem.

Thanks - Andy

BuellPartsGuy
08-28-2007, 06:50 PM
My XB9 seemed to have some tappet/cam noise. Never worsened so I never really thought twice about it. I highly doubt it has aftermarket cams in it. If it did I am sure he would have mentioned it to you when he sold it to you.

What type of oil are you using? Synthetic sometimes creates a little more tappet noise than standard oil.

angel
09-21-2007, 09:07 PM
I have an '04 XB12S with 50,000 mi on it. At 45,000 mi the mechanic heard a knocking and told me to listen for it on deceleration. Sure enough there it was and it got worse by 50,000 mi so I could reproduce the sound by just blipping the throttle in neutral. I had them look for it when serviced and they found metal shavings in the oil pan,the piston rings had scored the cylinder walls, the valve stems had been beaten down, the cam bushings were loose and looked like someone had taken an awl to them. And to my surprise they called it normal wear and tear with no one real source for the damage they were seeing.I thought with my 100,000 mi extended warranty I would be getting a new engine. WRONG!!!! They want $5,000 for a new engine.I serviced that bike religiously with that Harley dealer and now they won't stand behind it.Dump that bike quick and do you know of a good lawyler? Angel

buelltool
09-24-2007, 10:29 PM
Hey B.P.G....why does synthetic "create more tappet noise"?