PDA

View Full Version : Trip Odometer Resetting to 0 miles

larnanc
12-03-2009, 11:43 PM
Hey everybody....
Thanks for the welcome and the info. I had my battery chacked at a NAPA place and it was fine and went all through the wiring and harnesses and, everything is where it should be and the connections are clean. The crazy thing is still re-setting to zero every time, I turn it off. Any other ideas? Also...where is the air cleaner (filter) and how do ya get to it? I'm guessing it's under the tank cover or thereabouts. When I first got the X1, I chacked the oil with the engine cold and it was down, so I added oil up to the FULL dipstick mark. Then I started noticing oil on the rear shock, underneath the bike, but couldn't tell where it was coming from. My son said that it looked like it was coming from the air box. In the manual, I see where it says to check it at "normal operating temp" and then it says, that if it's overfilled, the oil will spill over in the carburetor and ruin performance. Guess that's what I did. Now, how do I remedy that problem?I got the oil and the oil filter changed on it last night and put in exactly 2.5 quarts as the manual says. I haven't had a chance to ride it ride it yet, to get it warmed up, to check the oil level. Again, many thanks for all of your help and info!
PS I did order a service manual for it, but won't receive that until next week............

RT Performance
12-04-2009, 05:50 AM
i have an xb but how many cca did the bat have??
mine tested 70ish and cold start reset the trip and clock. the spec is like 110ish if i rember right.(i bought a fiberglass mat one from napa was cheap like 40 bucks)
right side engine under the oval cover is the airfilter if i am thinking of the right bike

aaronbuell
12-04-2009, 12:50 PM
When checking the oil on a tube frame the bike must be standing straight up not on the kickstand. Also I would not fill it to the top full mark fill it to about halfway. When you fill it to the top line and then start the bike the oil level gets to high when on the kickstand and covers the return line inside the tank it will cause positive pressure in the tank and either pop your oil cap out or push oil out the breather (path of least resistance) mine popped the cap off and blew oil all over my back tire .

aaronbuell
12-04-2009, 02:12 PM
I asume that it's fuel injected? The oil around the air box area might be from the factory head breather it vents oil mist back into the air box to be burned instead of into the outside air it can puddle up and seep out. You might want to look into an aftermarket aircleaner setup or a buell race kit and a breather reroute. These upgrades will make your bike run better. Not sure about your tripmeter. I have a carbed bike but if you look under my profile I have pictures of my head breather reroute yours would be simalar to mine.