PDA

View Full Version : What to look for on an '09 CR

JeepinBueller
12-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Hey Buellers,

I'm about one step away from locking in an '09 1125CR in black. I want to go pick it up on Monday ... they're asking $6,000 OTD.

Before I get down there, I want to go with all the information that I can get (I currently ride on an '03 XB9R Firebolt). So here are my questions:

1.) What recalls should be done on the '09 models?

2.) What is the absolute latest ECM flash ... if the latest flash doesn't seem to do the job, which is the BEST flash for lowering the temperature, smoothest ride, and most power? I'm not sure if this HD dealer will even know HOW to flash the ECM ... can someone provide me with a little know how so I can at least guide them in the correct direction (which computer to use, which database to use, etc.)?

3.) Should I adjust the suspension to my weight (I'm about 6'3" tall, probably 265 lbs all geared up) before I take it for a test ride, or should I just go how it's set up?

4.) Any other information (recalls, things I should ask) when I down? Any warranties I should take care of?

I would kind of like this to be a end-all be-all thread about prospective new '09 CR buyers ... I've searched all the forums (BuelletinBoard, BWB, etc.) but, especially the flashes, couldn't come to any hard conclusions.

I REALLY appreciate all your help, and hopefully I'll be a new CR owner come Monday night. They're only offering my $1,750 for my 'Bolt, so I'm keeping it and selling it (hint hint!).

Thanks again!

Kidder
12-05-2009, 06:49 PM
You could always ask the dealer to set it up per the manual based on your weight before you get there. That would give you a decent baseline to start with. And, make sure you do have the latest flash. For yours it's the 152.

Good luck and post pics.

JOEL9
12-05-2009, 07:12 PM
yea what kidder said, the 152 flash comes up as #M3PUS152 at least thats what i read on another forum. as for recalls, i don't know of any but if there are some they will be covered under the warrenty. +1 on the pics.

SchlongCR
12-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Hey Guys! I'm a newbie. Just bought a new 2009 1125CR in black. My first Buell, love the innovation and style of this beast. My question-What is the flash you are talking about? Is mine the 152 also and if so how would I know if it was done to my bike? Thanks in advance, I think I will learn alot here. [confused]

JeepinBueller
12-05-2009, 08:25 PM
The "flash" is a reprogram of the computer on the bike (ECM). In order to find out which version of software your ECM has you have to take it to a dealer and have them hook your bike up to the computer. They should be able to tell you what you have, and also be able to flash the latest into your bike, which happens to be the same as mine like JOEL posted: #M3PUS152 (these long flash #'s are often referred to by their last three digits ... in our case, 152).

And Schlong, you better have not picked up that black CR at Shenandoah Harley in VA!! I was 5 min from putting a deposit down on it and the salesman, Sonny, called and told me it was SOLD!! I was crazy frustrated ... so I put a deposit on the red '09 CR they have for the same price ... not crazy about the red, but black is a mythical creature now. Maybe I can get someone to swap plastics with me.

Thanks for the info guys.

JOEL9
12-05-2009, 08:32 PM
cool jeepinbueller! now about your xb, i'll give you $1755.00 for it :D (kidding) maybe the red will grow on you.

JohnnyS999
12-06-2009, 03:22 AM
Just for info, I'm 166 lbs without gear and the suspension was way way off. I eventually and happily went with the suggested settings in the Sport Rider mag in last month's issue. I subsequently made one minor change to fork rebound, 1/2 turn in. As Kidder said, you can refer to the owners manual and start from there based on your weight. The suspension on my bike is awesome now, I love it. However,if I knew the SR settings earlier, I would have used them first as the baseline, it was like a shortcut. At least for me.

If you have any questions about the SR settings, let me know, there are a couple issues that need clarifying.

My bike is a black 09 CR. Most of my previous bikes have been Ducatis, my current ride is a 999R.

BTW, after all I have read, isn't the flash issue and the recall issue involved the 08 model only?

Congrats on the new bike, I can't stop riding it. Its one of if not the funnest bike I have ever owned. Its fast too! I can't wait to get started on my upgrades project.

Kidder
12-06-2009, 05:11 AM
Johnny,

The 08s did indeed have fueling issues. I assume it was updated with an interim flash. Of course, there were quite a bit of internal mods to the powerplant done for 09.

However, the latest maps for the R and CR were just updated in October of 2009. 142 for the R, 152 for the CR.

SchlongCR
12-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the info fellas. I'll have to call the dealer and check it out. And Jeepinbueller, mine was purchased here in Michigan. I like the black better also but red looks cool too. No matter, in either color it is an awesome ride!