PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil?

His_and_Her_Buells
08-31-2007, 04:26 AM
I've read some positive things on other boards and never anything negative. Does anyone here have any experience with it?

LeFox
08-31-2007, 07:34 AM
H&H, note that changing oil every maintenance isn't that good for an engine, cause you'll get a cocktail of oils in your engine, unless you rinse it everytime you change the oil.

find oil you're happy with and stick to it.

to help your choice pick:
- a good & known brand
- special oil for 2 cylinders, pref. synthetic or half/half.

His_and_Her_Buells
08-31-2007, 08:00 AM
I've alway used mobil 1 in my cars and wouldn't use anything else. I'm not sure if they have a formula for air-cooled engines. I've read such good things about Amsoil I was want to talk with someone with first hand knowledge. My bike just had its 1k service and therefore still has H-D dyno in it. I'm ready to go synthetic but didn't want the dealership to do it (their prices were already too high). And yes after I switch I will stick with whatever I choose and I change every 1k miles. Thanks LeFox

LeFox
08-31-2007, 09:46 AM
and to answer your question...

yea, amsoil is good
over here, commonly used on dirtbikes & supermotards.

for the buell, i would recommend:
SAE 20W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (MCV) (https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mcv.aspx)

you can go higher to Series 2000 Synthetic 20W-50 Racing Oil (TRO) (https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/tro.aspx), but that's more specific to high rev engines.
and a bit expensive if you're going to change the oil every 1k miles.

2Evil4U
08-31-2007, 12:57 PM
If you're really going to change oil every 1k, you could probably use vegetable oil and get away with it.

Synthetics allow you to get a bit better protection for longer change out periods. I think the factory recommendation is either every 2.5k or 5k (I don't remember offhand) and that is assuming standard mineral oil. So, if you're going to change it more often than that, you're throwing $$ away on any synthetic.

(Full disclosure, I'm an Amsoil dealer, the correct filter for the Buells is the EAO09, not the WIX model that is recommended by their website.)

LeFox
08-31-2007, 01:37 PM
2.5k or 5k (I don't remember offhand) and that is assuming standard mineral oil

dunno bout u.s. recommendations but here it's every 4000km (about 2.5k miles) and standard oil used is syn3.

also, just found an interesting article hd-oiltest (http://www.harley-performance.com/synthetic-oil.html) => this is a must read!!! ;)

His_and_Her_Buells
08-31-2007, 02:13 PM
The way I see it I ride pretty hard and it gets pretty hot here so I want the best protection at whatever the cost. That being said i will still only put 3-4k miles on my bike a year and @ 2.5qts (a rediculously small quantity for a heat prone air cooled engine in my opinion) per change the costs just don't add up to much, still less than a case per season. 1k oil changes may be overkill but it's all about piece of mind.

His_and_Her_Buells
08-31-2007, 02:25 PM
Thanks guys. Switching to Amsoil gives me yet another reason not to go to my suck a$$ local H-D dealer. I forget does H-D stand for high dollar or horrible dealer?:p

BuellPastor
09-04-2007, 12:39 AM
I'm using Amsoil and have noticed an immediate difference in how much cooler the engine is now running. I haven't decided how often I will change the oil, but to me a few $$ to keep the engine cooler and the fan running less is worth it.

LeFox
09-04-2007, 07:17 AM
damn...

am i the only one who thinks the fan is a cool thing?
when i park my bike, switch it off and the fan starts running...people are looking even more :D

- so they look when they hear me (i'm not even in sight then)
- they look when i pass them
- they look when i'm parking it
- they keep looking even when it's parked and i'm gone
[up] :D :p

His_and_Her_Buells
09-04-2007, 08:32 AM
I actually like it when the fan doesn't come on until I shut the bike off. If someone asks what it is, I tell them it's a leaf blower to keep my parking space clear:p

Somthngfrce
09-04-2007, 12:03 PM
I too think the fan is cool and ads character to an Awesome bike !!!!!:D

2Evil4U
09-04-2007, 01:47 PM
I love the fan. It's one of the quirks of Buell ownership. Just like the right side heat. If you hate the fan noise, you shouldn't've bought the bike.

BuellPastor
09-05-2007, 01:29 AM
HUh? One has to like the fan noise or not buy the bike for the handling, the engine noise, the tremendous reliability, etc??? Sorry, I'm still not a fan of the fan running so loudly while I ride - I am a much bigger fan of the twin and would love to hear it instead. I am glad you guys like your fans, though.
Come visit me and I'll take you across the street for a boat ride - these boats have the biggest fans you've ever seen - nothing but fan noise and you get to see thousands of alligators to boot.

LeFox
09-05-2007, 07:55 AM
would be cool pastor,

you got a vacant bed too, cause it's a pretty long trip for me :D

wierd that the fan is so loud that you can hear it over your engine noise while riding, though.
i only hear it a little bit when i'm at a complete stop and not playing with the throttle to hear the jardine pop :p

BuellPastor
09-05-2007, 06:01 PM
Why I must get the exhaust changed so I can hear what you hear. LeFox - I do have an extra bed and after December I'll have 2. My daughter has already gone off to college. I have a border who will be leaving in December.

buelltool
09-14-2007, 07:35 PM
I've got my crankcase filled with some greasy hot, finger licken, motor lovin Amsoil 20-50. Changed every 2k. Cheap insurance. Works mmmmmgood. No lies....I actually had to turn down my idle.....damn thing idled about 200rpm better...go figure. I'm sold. Gonna change my primary to amsoil real soon. Runnin 75-90 Castrol syntec. Not too bad.

Roccodart440
06-29-2008, 05:13 PM
I am going with the Amsoil on my next change.

As far as milage with synthetics I would assume on an air coled bike like the buell you could still go farther than the stock spec. But to give you an idea of how much better full syn is my BMW take 5w-30 mobil 1 and the factory changes are every 15,000.

Phrogg
06-29-2008, 06:20 PM
Yup, amsoil dealer as well. Very good stuff.

If you get the oil also get the NGK spark plugs as well. part number: NGK6546-EA

If your gonig for maximum mileage. Also, pick up an air filter. I have a K&N filter with the amsoil MCV 20w-50, and get roughly 57 mpg...Hoping to get more when I put the spark plugs in as well...

Dealer number# 1631262 if you want to use me as a referall.

mcanavan69
06-29-2008, 11:43 PM
What do you guys think about Mobil 1 20w50 for V-Twins? I used that for my last service in crankcase and primary. Seems to be a little less heat on the legs I noticed.

His_and_Her_Buells
07-02-2008, 05:29 AM
What do you guys think about Mobil 1 20w50 for V-Twins?

That's what I ended up going with as I've always used Mobil 1 in my cars and it's easier to get (Autozone just a few blocks away). I know this next comment might spark some controversy but what I have been reading is that Amsoil is very good stuff but they are marketers and not manufacturers. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But I would rather get my stuff from the source whenever possible. If I could've bought my bike from the in East Troy instead of a dealer I would have.

Sawyer
07-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Hope this isn’t to much of a stupid question but aren't the primary and transmission combined in one case. Are there three holes or for oil or two on an xb9s?

LeFox
07-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Hope this isn’t to much of a stupid question but aren't the primary and transmission combined in one case. Are there three holes or for oil or two on an xb9s?
yes, it is combined. ;)

blackxb12r
07-03-2008, 04:37 PM
can you put the ams oil in the all the holes???

LeFox
07-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Advanced multi-functional formula for both domestic and foreign motorcycles. Excellent in air-cooled motorcycle engines due to high heat resistance. Can be used in engines, transmissions and the primary chaincase. Not recommended where an API GL-4 or GL-5 gear oil is required.
yes, you can run amsoil in both engine & gearcase ;)

captain13ron
07-03-2008, 10:14 PM
here is some good reading about oil, i used to be a big golden spectro 4 fan until i read this, http://www.xs11.com/stories/mcnoil94.htm

Eric_J
11-25-2014, 06:08 PM
His and Hers, I can't stop laughing at the leaf blower comment. LOVE IT

Eric_J
11-25-2014, 06:19 PM
LeFox, nice articly. Definately makes up my mind. Only thing I am undecided on is whether or not I am going to use the standard 20W-50 in both or use a different oil in the primary.

WIGGLE2
11-26-2014, 03:25 PM
I forget does H-D stand for high dollar or horrible dealer?
Shoulda bought a 'Busa, or a CBRRRRR