PDA

View Full Version : Blast CC's ???

mcdonald1983
12-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Ok so I have always when into the big Buells but never the Blast. How many CC's is the blast rated at? Also what Horsepower and Torque do they put out stock and whats the average you can get out of them with milded upgrades.

afinley
12-08-2009, 01:59 PM
492cc
34bhp@6500rpms
30ft/lbs@6500rpms

couldnt tell you about upgrades.

mk2_20v
12-08-2009, 04:10 PM
lol i thought the only two upgrades for a blast were the xb9 and xb12 :p

Buellysses
12-08-2009, 07:11 PM
I wonder if you could take half of a 1450 kit and cram it onto a blast...

http://www.nrhsperformance.com/ekitbuellblast.shtml

$2020 600cc stage 3 kit.

(not affiliated, just google'd it)

afinley
12-08-2009, 08:54 PM
My girlfriend had a Blast, and we debated big motor stuff for her bike. But, in the end, the bike isnt that light, and it is pretty far away from an xb9. So, we traded it up. Right now dealers are paying big money for Blasts, because they still need them for the riders edge classes

Midnight82
12-08-2009, 09:18 PM
The only upgrade for the blast worth doing is this:

http://www.redneckengineering.com/images/products/frames_and_kits/mutant/itsablast/blast001.jpg

afinley
12-08-2009, 09:40 PM
I cant decide if its badass or hilarious that it still has the stock handlebars :p

Midnight82
12-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Well, let's be serious. No matter what you do, it's like putting a ribbon on a pig.

1001yos
12-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Wait a sec!!!

That chopper looks awesome!!! More than a ribbon. That single cyl would be all you would need to drive something with geometry like that.(or anything like it)

Buellysses
12-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Yeah, that chopper looks like it would be a blast to ride...
[groan]

Midnight82
12-09-2009, 01:53 AM
(slaps knee)

Well played Buellysses

AgentOrange
02-06-2010, 09:39 PM
So, I have been looking into up grading the horsepower on my Blast. Agreed, the bike does have incredibly cheap parts on it, and that's why Im looking into the feasibility of doing some small upgrades to make it worth keeping, or just buying another bike.

With the value of the Blast, there is no way I would sell it, its not worth it. Rather just keep it as a spare bike. I have definitely out grown this bike though, and had a lot of things break. Regulator changed out twice, stator once, rocker box gasket blown twice (which I read was a common issue with the 2001) and then, of course, the craziest thing to break was the swing arm broke completely off about a half inch past where the axl bolts onto the swing arm.
As it stands, the rocker box gasket needs to be changed again. I saw the bolt on big bore kit which the link was posted for. Would changing out the gasket and buying the bore kit be better than just simply swapping out the engine and transmission from another bike? And if so, which engines and transmissions work for the Blast?

There is nothing to these bikes and they are pretty easy to work on, so I am trying to figure out which would be better.
Also, would new forks and and a rear shock make the bike sit a little higher without throwing off the way the bike handles too much?

Thorivola
02-06-2010, 09:55 PM
I had a 2001 blast and never had anything go wrong for the 8k miles I rode it, how many miles did you put on the thing to have the gaskets blow and stuff?

the blast is just an XB9 with 1 cylinder, I don't think you can find much else that would bolt into the blast frame than the blast engine. I have seen a lot of guys do some cool mods to them, and some decent power upgrades, but the blast is basically just the simple little thing it is.

check out this place: http://jdeesperformance.com/page5.php
you can always e-mail Jesse and ask him what he did for his race blast, he's a nice guy and really knows his stuff

AgentOrange
02-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Wow, that's a pretty impressive Blast.

Actually, things started going wrong with the bike around 7K miles. The rocker gasket was the first thing to go around 7k. I read on another forum that a guy had a 2001 and the rocker gasket blew quickly. Not just a small leak, but pretty major oil leak, which is what I have had happen twice now. He said it was due to manufacturing which they improved on the 2002.

The speedometer and odometer on the bike no longer work. When the regulator went out the second time, it was over charging the system. I had it blow my battery. It also fried all the electrical on the bike. I took it to HD, they supposedly fixed the problem. I bought a new speedometer from ebay, put it on the bike, and 4 days later, the system fried all the electrical on the bike again, and left me stranded in the Northern Californian woods. Fried out the new speedometer (I believe, though, the light on it works and the oil and brights light work), the headlight, and blew up the battery again. So, I dont know the exact miles on it now, but I would estimate them to be around 15,000. Still not that high, but high for a Blast. I was using the bike as an every day commuter. Seems like everything that could go wrong with the bike, has.

Im planning on buying another bike at the end of summer when I can afford it, but would like this one to run better. Granted, I am riding this bike like it is a cafe racer, and at my weight of 145 lbs, I can get it up close to 100 mph as is, with just a V&H pipe on it. But it lacks climbing hills. The maneuverability of the bike is phenomenal though, and I have calculated as good as 100 mpg when I baby the bike.
I have some bars on it which sit lower than the goofy stock ones, but the placement of the seat, foot pegs and handle bars are not that comfortable on longer trips. I find myself placing my feet on the passenger foot pegs. While making me feel more comfortable on the bike, it tends to smash my balls on the seat.
Basically looking for some cheap, easy ways to get a little more out of this bike. Like I said, the price I would sell the bike for doesnt justify selling it. So, I intend on keeping it, maybe giving it to others to use to go on rides, and of course I would still use it too.

browland
02-07-2010, 12:19 AM
I want a 600cc single cylinder thumper just for the shear novelty of it

joncochino
02-07-2010, 07:01 PM
so if you people have buell blasts,or any buell bikes, why all the jokes,and insults? i mean would somebody go through the trouble of joining this "buell" forum just to insult the bike/bike company?I assume most of us are owners,we "chose" to purchase a buell,i did any way.and i love it more and more every day,I like the quality,the comfort,the style,and the harley based parts,its american.It's awesome,you can modify it in so many ways,or leave it stock,and its still awesome.Just not sure why all the stupid remarks always show up here when i'm scrolling through.Either way,not changing my opinion of mine,i spent 3 years researching,and test riding every bike brand,and every dealer in austin,and buell won.

hula Buell
02-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Must be a photo shop picture:p

AgentOrange
05-05-2010, 12:03 AM
so if you people have buell blasts,or any buell bikes, why all the jokes,and insults? i mean would somebody go through the trouble of joining this "buell" forum just to insult the bike/bike company?I assume most of us are owners,we "chose" to purchase a buell,i did any way.and i love it more and more every day,I like the quality,the comfort,the style,and the harley based parts,its american.It's awesome,you can modify it in so many ways,or leave it stock,and its still awesome.Just not sure why all the stupid remarks always show up here when i'm scrolling through.Either way,not changing my opinion of mine,i spent 3 years researching,and test riding every bike brand,and every dealer in austin,and buell won.

huh...I dont think I am insulting the Buell bike or the Blast. Im simply stating what I have had happen to me. The bike is fun, I love the maneuverability of it and the gas milage... but I'd be damned if I didn't get worried when I have had all the things go wrong on it. Especially having the swing arm break in half. I ride that bike at top speeds around the Lake Tahoe area, and that could have for sure been a bad, bad crash

kyle_dewald
05-05-2010, 12:42 AM
It's actually cheaper to sell it and buy a used firebolt or lightning. big bore kits and everything thats goes with it still doesn't give you the power and the cost per hp doesn't touch the XBs

ezblast
05-05-2010, 07:34 PM
To actually make the Blast perform is a series of suspension upgrades as well as motor modifications - then you have a bike that will compete successfully in singles competition - aka - Willows and other tracks supporting singles competition.
EZ

ezblast
05-05-2010, 07:37 PM
As for the rest - some folks don't listen when advised to buy 2003 and above, and then have the above problems mentioned and warned about for pre 2003 Blasts - a single is different from the twin, in tuning and other things.

Last thing - you can drop over 30 lbs from a Blast pretty easily.
EZ

BuellRiderX
08-13-2010, 01:17 AM
How would I do that ezBlast?? loving my blast so far but wanna make it unique!

ezblast
08-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Do which? - weight loss, power gains, or suspension mods? - lol
EZ

BuellRiderX
09-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Weight loss .. as for power gains .. thinking of buying the 515cc bore kit and doin basic bolt ons like exhaust and intake

ezblast
09-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Different Fairing, exhaust,intake, and rear sets, and ditching the belt guards and inner fender as well. These things alone turn the bike into a different animal. As for the 515cc kit - I would go with Revolution Performances - though a hundred more in price, it is warranted, has a Wiseco piston - and mine has run 10 years with little to no compression loss - NHRS is a good place to find common parts, however, those iron sleeved cylinders with the CP piston - the skirt of which is too shallow and has issues - not a good long term choice as repeatedly shown on other boards. The Revolution kit is a good start on a long term performance Blast.
EZ

kyle_dewald
09-08-2010, 08:03 PM
you can do some cool **** to a blast but the blast weighs as much as an xb, so if you want power get and xb. That's what I ended up doing

ezblast
09-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Not on your life does a Blast weigh the same as an XB - those are dry weights, 20 + lbs apart, and wet - another 20 - and a stripped Blast, such as mine, it weighs way lighter than stock, and the Blasts center of gravity is way lower as well - one of the main reason it can stomp most any big bike in the goat trails, when properly modified, and not - recalling James Passing Ferris episode - lol
EZ

BuellRiderX
09-08-2010, 10:55 PM
Well I plan on keeping the Blast for a while .. but also plan on gettin' a Lightning. Hopefully lol

Gonna start stripping it soon .. thanx for the advice!