PDA

View Full Version : Old Buell vs New Buell how do the compare ?

aaronbuell
12-15-2009, 02:19 PM
I have never riden a XB buell I was wondering how a tube frame would compare to an XB. Handling and performance. Something like an S1 lightning vs an XB lightning. Carb vs FI.

ophawk
12-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Aaron,
I have ride the S3, and have ridden the S1 and the Firebolt, you definitely feel the difference in the weight, approx. 80-100lbs, lighter more flickable. I do have much better range and get an average of 50-55mpg with my 98, carbed, rejetted, V&H SSR2 CF can, and CF High flow Air Cleaner. When I rode the XB it was already warmed up, I do know that the start up and ride out in the morning, can be finicky plug fouling, such as that.
hope that helps
later
Dale

aaronbuell
12-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Thanks Dale

I also have a 98 s3 with simalar mods. Up until Buell shut down I was thinking of selling it an getting a Firebolt. I don't think I could live without the S3T hardbags and the touring riding position though.

I have been wondering how the new vs the old would compare. Someday I'll get a chance to ride one.

ophawk
12-15-2009, 10:43 PM
I was thinking of picking up a CR with the bar conversion. I think that would be the closest to the s3. Which I love the position on it, mine is not the touring though and I have given up looking for the bags, I just use a backpack/tankbag and bungee anything big. The firebolt after my ride hurt my wrists, I could see myself hating it after a while, something you don't want in your mode of transportation.

If I did get the CR I would mod it to get a 1/4 faring on it.

aaronbuell
12-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Mine was a stock S3 but with touring bars on it when I got it. I picked up the shorter S3 bars from H-D for 70 dollars didn't like the tall ones. I got an S3T seat off e-bay for longer rides so I can switch back and forth. I did the backpack/softbag/tailbag thing a for awhile but found a set of slim hard bags on e-bay for 300 dallars with keys and all the brakets in near mint condition took 3 years to find a set. I love them.

ophawk
12-16-2009, 10:20 PM
One of my first mods was a change to the 99+ seat, then I had to change the front rotor, to the newer style, since then I have swapped out the swing arm for the 2000+ and changed the forks/front wheel/rotor over to the Xb style. I still look for the hard bags but they are getting $$$. I may pick up a whole bike as a spare. Just to get them, then I'll have one modded, and one fairly stock to play with.

millenniumx1
12-17-2009, 12:53 AM
As much as I like the XB models, I never owned one. My only comparison would be between the two Buell machines I did own - '00 X1 Millennium and '09 1125R.

From a performance point of view, the '09R walks all over the X1. I installed the factory race kit (ECM, Muffler, Air Box) on my X1 which was an improvement.

I like the looks of the tubers, and I also like the H-D sound in its ballsier Buell format. I can't stay off of my 1125R though! I do wish I hadn't of sold the X1 a few years back. Cool bike ...

Mike

gypsey
12-17-2009, 06:50 PM
the newer buells go like **** , but the old tubbers have a old school apeal sound great and go reasonably fast i personably think the new buells have lost the stile (thats brobabley why they dont make them anymore.)

polkiejoe
12-17-2009, 07:53 PM
[down]

Stevenc150
12-18-2009, 02:27 AM
the newer buells go like ****

new buells have lost the stile (thats brobabley why they dont make them anymore.)
This is a Buell site bro, for old & new. Didn't see anyone slamming Tubers - No need to turn on your own. [confused]

kfxb12r
12-18-2009, 02:32 AM
Second that !:p

Kevin In TN
12-28-2009, 12:42 PM
I think the tubers and XBs are hard to compare directly, because they are so different.

My '00 Cyclone was a great bike, but it was maintenance intensive. I've heard the tube frame models described as "craftbuilt", and most people who bought them new brought them home and finished them, working out the kinks - although this many years later, their issues are all known. This is no knock - even then, the technology incorporated into the bikes was leading edge. Great fun to ride, comfortable for long distances.

Buell took all the stuff they learned building the tubers and improved it with the XB. I have an '09 XB12R Firebolt that stuns me with the quality with which it was made. It has experienced zero mechanical failures of any kind, and required nothing more than scheduled maintenance. I really like this - I want to ride, not fix. The XB is a much sharper feeling machine - the chassis geometry, low weight, and small dimensions all conspire to make it feel like a finely honed tool. The steering feels telepathic - the bike turns and transitions side to side so easily.

With prices being the way they are now, if you were on the fence, get one of each!

ajgerdes
01-04-2010, 02:14 AM
have both an x1 and a xb12r, i put on 5k miles this summer on my x1 and had to replace the front iso, motor mount and bolts, clutch cable, primary nut came loose, footpeg bolt broke, and wheel bearings. but other than that its a great bike! And i need to replace the clutch before this summer comes around. Just got my xb12r before the first snow storm so i have only rode it about 4 miles before it got put away for the winter, but from what i can tell its going to be a fun bike. Get one of each so when you fixing one you still have the other one to ride :p

brightbuell
01-04-2010, 02:38 AM
I am going through the same thing. I just bought mine and had to put it away for winter. I got to ride it a lot more then 4 miles but its so hard just waiting for spring. Its driving me crazy, but I had to buy it when I did for the great price. $6388 for an 09 firebolt with 3800 miles and it already had the mods i wanted done professionaly. I need to move south.:(

xbgirl
01-04-2010, 04:08 AM
footpeg bolt broke And I fixed it :):)

delta one
01-04-2010, 02:12 PM
I don't know if there is much comparison, they are different animals. designed in a very different way to compete on different playing fields separated by years of technological advancement.

That said I love the old tube frame bikes and hope to have one some day. They have a very distinct look about them and potential for massive power. A guy at the local H-D shop was pushing about 150 to the tire, the only downside was his exhaust made your ears bleed.

buelladdicted
01-16-2010, 06:41 PM
I have an 08 xb12scg,without hesitateing,can say is the best handling and breaking motorcycle ive owned,and ive owned many.The thing that makes me want a tuber,is all gear head motivated.I love spending time,thinking and applying things I learn to making improvements in performance.I own a 99 sportster s model.Its 76 inch,11 :1 comp.,se575 cams,Fcr carb,tuned length 2into one exaust.se ignition w/6800 rev limit,coils,k+n,nrhs stage 2 heads etc. I would like to do these things to a tuber,I dont know how well I can make it handle,but im sure it will be better than the bikes I raced competetively.I like these forums,however,think about how much more than hand grips,paint jobs,and ecms,there would be to share w/ each other,if more of us owned tubers.

x1cr
01-23-2010, 03:42 AM
I had an 01 X1 and loved it to pieces. Knew every nut and bolt on it and did quite a few repairs/minor mods over the 6 years I had it. To me that bike was the best of both worlds. I always loved the HD sound, but didnt dig being the slowest loudest thing on the road(my old hds,not my buell). My X1 had the race ecm, buell pro series pipe, simota forced air filter with velocity stack and man that bike would get it! Sounded great and was kinda quick too-quick enough for me anyway.
BUT I just picked up the 1125cr and its in a different league altogether. Phenomenal handling and the power is limitless. Definitely have to get the tall bar set up though- the clubman bars are too low and forward for my style.

gypsey
04-06-2010, 11:17 AM
the newer buells go like ****
Sorry mates, "going like ****" in Australia means goes like a bat out of hell, (really fast!!) ;)

Recently I bought an 1125R to compare both bikes and I still like the tubey, even tho the 1125R has its own appeal (and goes like **** . :D). And my girlfriend loves riding it!

firebolt020283
04-06-2010, 11:39 AM
I love both my tuber and my xb. That being said I like to use this analogy to compare the two bikes. The xb is like a samari sword and the tuber is like a chainsaw. Both can cut some ones head off but the samari sword does it with swift presision and the chain slow and bloody. Both are fun bikes to ride just completly different animals.

Alfatango1
04-06-2010, 12:14 PM
the new buells have lost the stile (thats brobabley why they dont make them anymore.)
Then why did they stop making tubers? Because they were selling like hot cakes on a cold day? Or because they were outdated technology?

pur pony
04-06-2010, 12:29 PM
I love both the Tubers and XB. When the time came for me to buy a buell, i went with a tuber X1. I LOVE it. I have ridden a couple XBs in the past but i just love the tuber style and rawness. There are things i love about the XB also, so I have been installing them on my X1. So far I have the XBS headlights/flyscreen, XB wheels, XB front brake, and XB oil cooler. To me, its the best of both worlds.

firebolt020283
04-06-2010, 12:38 PM
pur,

I was just looking at your bike on bad web and that thing is sweet![up]

pur pony
04-06-2010, 03:19 PM
thanks - still a work in progress. Should be finished up by the end of the month! Its riding time.

Stevenc150
04-06-2010, 04:34 PM
thanks - still a work in progress. Should be finished up by the end of the month! Its riding time. Pics? ;)[up]

BikerTrash
04-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Having both a S1 and XB12Scg, I feel qualified to answer. I like the analogy of a samari sword and a chainsaw. I use the old muscle car vs new Corvette analogy. The S1 feels raw, it's heavier, geared lower, the seat is further from the bars so you are leaned over a little more, minimal seat, analog everything, dim headlight and gauges, old feeling switch controls, and actually feels older than a late '90s bike, in a good way. Also easier to work on, everything is out in the open.
The XB feels so much more refined in comparison, more compact, better handling/flick-ability, smoother, easier clutch and shifting, ...
If you try an XB, you'll love it, but you will still want to keep you tuber.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6026_20100221192344_L.jpg

Sapper
04-08-2010, 09:34 PM
I went with the X1 tuber that has FI ... I now have 2 of them and enjoy riding them more than my Aprilia RSV-R. On the street that is ... RSV still my track toy for sure but just making an afternoon trip around the lake ... X1 gets the nod.

swamp2
04-10-2010, 01:26 AM
Sapper - have you tried an 1125? I hear they make good track toys... And a CR with the high bars is pretty comfortable.