PDA

View Full Version : Need some input

mrdozer2you
09-04-2007, 08:44 PM
I have an 06' Lightning long in the red/orange color (non transparent) It's too much of the same color for me, I want to break it up a bit. I was thinking of painting the windscreen, air box cover and front fender Flat Black. I have removed the chin spoiler so that won't need painting. What does everyone think about this? I was debating between Black and White and keeping the orange rims. Just looking for something different, any ideas or suggestions would be awesome[up]

I know LeFox did a bit of photo shop work for H&H and maybe he would be so kind as to do it for me :)

Thanks

His_and_Her_Buells
09-05-2007, 12:00 AM
If I know LeFox he'll be glad to do it. He's one of the most helpful guys I've seen on any forum. I hadn't thought of it but the white would look pretty sweet. I'm probably going to stick with the Kick Ash with an open air box because I really want the WTF factor when people see the air filter where the gas should be.

mrdozer2you
09-05-2007, 01:02 AM
Only thing about flat white/black is how will the bug splatter clean off?

His_and_Her_Buells
09-05-2007, 01:16 AM
Only thing about flat white/black is how will the bug splatter clean off?

I don't think it will be a problem. From my time in the army I washed more than a few flat green vehicles and don't remember any problems getting them completely clean. Check with no_rice on Buelletinboard.com and BadWeb (not sure if he's on this forum or not). He has a flat green (olive drab)XB and may have input on the bug splatter issue.

LeFox
09-05-2007, 07:41 AM
ok, dozer...i will have a go at it, but don't shoot me if it's not as fast as h&h's, since the new sporting-season has started and i'm training for the championships in october.

i'll do my best.

in the mean time think dark metallic blue...
that together with orange rims is fa'buell'ous :D

LeFox
09-05-2007, 08:55 AM
bah, had some free time at work...

black

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/627_20070905015346_L.jpg

blue (sorry, can't do metallic)

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/627_20070905015430_L.jpg

mrdozer2you
09-05-2007, 11:58 AM
ok, dozer...i will have a go at it, but don't shoot me if it's not as fast as h&h's, since the new sporting-season has started and i'm training for the championships in october.

i'll do my best.

Once again, you rock!!!! :D:D:D THANKS

Now I just need to stop being a wuss and just do it. I think its gonna rain for a few days, should be time for me to prep and paint it at my shop.

LeFox
09-05-2007, 01:24 PM
have you noticed the twin-colour taillight mod on the blue one [smirk]

mrdozer2you
09-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Yeah, similar to the frame color.

LeFox
09-05-2007, 02:37 PM
yep...was a little test for myself...

now i know i should go for black instead of the titanium :p

mrdozer2you
09-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Well, I got some binding primer, supposed to work for plastic, and tried it. Thankfully I started on the backside of my flyscreen as a test. I sanded it down lightly to dull it. Wiped it clean with alcohol, and fired up my spray rig. Instantly fish eyed ( small bubbles and gaps that indicate it will not adhere) So I guess that ideas been kicked to the curb. Guess I'll have to wait for christmas to get my carbon fiber pieces that I really want :D It only cost me about $15.00 to find out that the plastic used on our bikes is ****, probably manufactured in ----insert Asian country here----

His_and_Her_Buells
09-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Don't give up yet. I've seen a lot of custom painted XB plastics. I clear coated my own fly screen to preserve Eric's signature. I'm no painter by any means but maybe there's another way to prep it to take the paint.

LeFox
09-07-2007, 01:49 PM
1) sand it down real good, not 'lightly'
2) clean with acetone and let it dry real good (really really good)
3) 1st coat = spray-on filler
4) sand it lightly so that it's as smooth as a baby's bottom :p
5) primer/base paint
6) spray on whatever colour you want
;)