PDA

View Full Version : Brought it home today!

vanson1200r
12-19-2009, 11:44 PM
I got a pretty good deal and a decent trade in on my ZRX. So, this was my first time EVER riding a XB. At idle it blurrs my vision and I thought my fillings would fall out of my teeth. Upon first start up the oil light would not go out for about 5 minutes. Clutch is wonderful! Seat is hard as a rock. So that is what steering feed back feels like? Love it. I thought a firetruck was comming when the cooling fan came on. Low end fueling is perfect, great in traffic. Kept it at 60 on the HWY and it felt great. Mirrors suck, the right one kept flopping around. It also has the one thing I missed with my last bike: Character. I am now a Bueller!

dave_xb12r
12-19-2009, 11:55 PM
Welcome to the family! Let's see pics!

BuddhaBuell
12-20-2009, 12:00 AM
congrats on your baby [up]
pics and his/her name please & thank you..lol
:D

xtremelow
12-20-2009, 12:06 AM
Welcome and glad to see you made up your mind, did you end up getting more than they originally quoted you for your ZRX?

Also pics for sure.

brightbuell
12-20-2009, 12:14 AM
We need pics!

jl551c
12-20-2009, 12:36 AM
Congrats! Enjoy!

GatorBuell
12-20-2009, 01:07 AM
Yea the mirrors were the first thing to go, they suck ha ha. Everything gets better after break in. Have fun and be safe.

bolt08
12-20-2009, 01:44 AM
Congrats! it only gets better from here :) (after break in) we need to see som pics, trust me if you are anything like the rest of us, take some pics now cause it will not be long before you start mods.

Stevenc150
12-20-2009, 03:23 AM
Awesome Vanson - Welcome to the "Buell" family and your new Addiction. [up]

afinley
12-20-2009, 04:30 AM
Your oil light should go out in about a second. check your oil level. Might want to make sure your mirrors are all the way on as well. I'm not saying you'll ever be able to see anything in them, but you dont want them to fall off.

Welcome to the family.

vanson1200r
12-20-2009, 05:01 AM
I posted just one pic so far, it's the Cherry-Bomb black and red. I checked the oil and tire PSI before I started it but I dont think it was started for a while or after it was filled with oil it was never started? After the first time the oil light came on for about a minute it never came on again. So what should I do first? I'm not interested in all out power but a "streetable" motor.

rndrkeagle
12-20-2009, 05:58 AM
is this it Vanson?

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3887_20091219173533_L.jpg

Nice looking bike...

first things I would consider doing would be the Breather re-route and maybe a pipe... Drummer, DnD or Hawkins any one of those will give you a little more power but a really nice sound. from there.... you can do a K&N Air filter and performance plugs... but you'll probably need a remap or Race ECM if you do that much... what year is it? I think it was the '09 (maybe the '08??) that changed the ECM so you can't remap it yourself... (YET)...

anyways.... enjoy it... I ride an '04 'Bolt and love it... just keep the rubber side down :)

dave_xb12r
12-20-2009, 07:25 AM
first things I would consider doing would be the Breather re-route and maybe a pipe... Drummer, DnD or Hawkins any one of those will give you a little more power but a really nice sound. from there.... you can do a K&N Air filter and performance plugs... but you'll probably need a remap or Race ECM if you do that much... what year is it? I think it was the '09 (maybe the '08??) that changed the ECM so you can't remap it yourself... (YET)...

It's an 09. As far as mods. You can do an intake OR exhaust without a tune. Being how you're in CA, you are one of the few that can get your bike remapped easily. JT&S performance is in the Bay Area can do it in a few hours. They can tune 08 and 09 bikes for $500.

Nice Bike!

chase
12-20-2009, 10:42 AM
First thing anyone should get rid of is that stock exhaust- just doesn't do the bike justice, at all. American sport bike did a great report on most of the exhausts that are popular. This report provides graphs, descriptions, and sound clips, etc for a wide range of exhausts. It was the perfect resource I needed to choose the exhaust that fit my interests, which ended up being a micron. Gotta love living in Cali and being able to ride pretty much every day of the year, esp Socal. Good luck and congrats on your Buell!

American Sport Bike XB Exhaust Shootout Report (http://www.americansportbike.com/XB_Exhaust_Shootout_Test_Report.zip)

vanson1200r
12-20-2009, 04:57 PM
I just read the owners manual (I have duty today on Sunday so good time for a read) and as far as I can tell maintenance on this bike is simple! The primary chain made me nervous until I read the procedure and it's simple. As far as the 1000 mile service, every thing I read about it I can do myself and I have the proper tools. I will go and buy a bunch of primary cover inspection port gaskets, oil filters, motor and primary oil and loktight and a service manual. Does the dealer really need to perform the 1000 mile inspection/service?

Bolt
12-20-2009, 05:28 PM
Congrats dude!
The buells are a different kind of character than zrx's, but don't worry,it's a good thing.
[up][up]

I take mine to the dealer after the first thousee.but anyone experienced &confident enough could probably take care of their own.
Be safe &welcome to the fold!

xtremelow
12-20-2009, 06:09 PM
First thing I would do is take off all those fugly reflectors and chop the lic. plate holder flip it around. It will clean up the lines and give you this look, plus the turns if you keeps those.

Close-up of my old tail.
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/520_20091213224407_L.jpg

Side view of new bike with old tail
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/520_20090626150038_L.jpg

dave_xb12r
12-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Does the dealer really need to perform the 1000 mile inspection/service?

Keep your oil receipts. That's the only thing you'd have to prove in a warranty scenario.

vanson1200r
12-21-2009, 12:43 AM
Hey Extremelow, I'm from Michigan too but after living in California I'll never go back! I can ride all year around and it was a little on the warm side for my leathers yesterday. I'm going to set up the suspension for my weight tomorrow, check the tires then start putting miles on this badboy! I need to get the tires scrubbed in then melt off any chicken strips I may still have on Mt Palomar also. I'll keep all my oil and filter receipts and also keep a log book of all my maintenance I do.