PDA

View Full Version : rear drive belt!

black_xb12r
09-04-2007, 11:19 PM
hey kinda new to the buell world had my XB12R for about 3 months now bought it used and snapped a belt.... just wondering if i have to take that little peice of swingarm off to change a belt and what else... anyone that can help would be greatly appreciated! thanks much
casey

LeFox
09-05-2007, 07:34 AM
what's your milage?

if the belt snapped due to premature wear => warranty

BuellPartsGuy
09-05-2007, 06:46 PM
You have to lift the rear wheel off the ground. You have to remove the small swingarm section, all belt guards, front pulley cover, idler pulley and the rider footpeg bracket. Other than that its pretty easy, I would say. You need to know the torque of the bolts on the idler pulley and also the torque sequence for the rear axle.

black_xb12r
09-05-2007, 07:24 PM
thanks BPG pretty much exactly what i thought it was going to be.... i change all my own tires at the local quad race shop caus ei race for them and stuff so im good with rear axle stuff so i will be able to figure it out...

also Le Fox i have 9,994 on the bike and i am the second owner so im pretty sure that voids all warrenty stuff right there but not positive...
thanks much both of you
casey

LeFox
09-05-2007, 08:04 PM
it doesn't matter is your the second or 3rd or whatever owner.
if there's no visual damage from rock or something, it can always be a waranty issue.

especially when you see premature stress marks and brownish discolouration on the inner rope.

9994(miles?)
if it's the second generation belt, we get a new one as waranty.

BuellPartsGuy
09-05-2007, 09:05 PM
03 and some 04 bikes may need the pulleys and belts updated due to an inferior design. They basically change the set up to the newer 05 and later design. You may want to check and see if you bike has been update. My bike wasnt updated and I snapped a belt at 10,251 on the clock.

bdugal
04-07-2008, 04:55 PM
So I just snapped a belt at only 2800 mi. Its an 03 XB9s. Just went to the Harley Dealership and at the parts counter I got insulted for riding a Buell. I was told, "they don't belong here, I don't even know why we sell them." I'm not surprised in the least but I couldn't believe how rude some people can be. It really leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Needless to say I walked away and didn't give them the $162 they wanted for the darn belt. Anyone know where I can get a belt off line? I'm boycotting that HD dealership unless absolutely necessary.

mrdozer2you
04-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Boycott them all they're all dickheads....at least the ones i've been to...and thats 5 different dealers. One of which I went to spend about $1500 with my wife on some leather and accesories. It wasnt the service but more the lack of...Im a younger guy and they must have thought I wasnt gonna buy anything. Well I took the 2k cash I had on me and went on my computer[cool] Piss on em.

LeFox
04-07-2008, 07:21 PM
So I just snapped a belt at only 2800 mi. Its an 03 XB9s...
...Anyone know where I can get a belt off line?
change to the upgraded belt, but you'll need to change the pulley too.

they will last longer though...

bdugal
04-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Is there anything anybody heard about 03 and 04 belts being recalled due to an "inferior" design? If so that should entitle me to a "new and improved" belt, correct?

LeFox
04-08-2008, 03:55 PM
If so that should entitle me to a "new and improved" belt, correct?
if you pay for it, yea...

it's not a recall, it's just an improvement during model change...nice try, though :p

bdugal
04-08-2008, 04:45 PM
LOL, oh well it was worth a shot. Anyways, back to my original question... Where can I get a belt without having to go to my HD shop? I've scoured quite a few websites and came up with nothing, including EBay. Any help or am I going to have to swallow my pride and go deal with those jerks. (no offense)

BuellPartsGuy
04-08-2008, 04:56 PM
Yeah its not a recall its a bulletin.

Recall = Buell pays

Bulletin - You pay... boo....

LeFox
04-08-2008, 07:40 PM
where are you at? will narrow the search a bit ;)

bdugal
04-08-2008, 11:23 PM
I am located in Jacksonville, Florida.

buellxb
03-03-2009, 04:56 AM
We just added all the belts to BuellParts.NET

Free Shipping for all orders over $100 for the month of March. Any belt ships free.

See... Buell Drive Belts (http://www.buellparts.net/content-tags/tag_id-64/belts.html)

Riderdie
06-07-2010, 02:42 PM
I just noticed a tear on my belt half way through[mad]

its no fun spending money on something i already have!

Hopefully it wont take to long to be shipped here.

Clutch
06-07-2010, 03:13 PM
where can the pulleys be bought?

Riderdie
06-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Buell parts, American sports bike, or local HD may have it in stock

303xb
06-07-2010, 04:18 PM
was told, "they don't belong here, I don't even know why we sell them."

hell, he's right. i love the heritage of my bike, but im embarrassed to be associated with harleys. f'in hate that whole 'lifestyle'

****in hillbillies.

LarryB
07-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Should have tipped over a HD on your way out.

Buell's were and have made HD's racing heritage for the last decade. they just "Threw Eric and all you GREAT BUELL RIDERS UNDER THE BUS. Whenever I see a Buell , any Buell on the road I not only wave but SALUTE!

I'm doing some work for my friend , has an 05 XBR12 and It's one of the few times I rushed out to the garage at 6 AM to start on it. Never did that to MINE. This comment from a HD OWNER from 1967.