PDA

View Full Version : ebay carbon fiber parts

jmcrutch
12-22-2009, 12:08 AM
So I've purchased a Hero blue airbox cover and windscreen for my Lightning, and need to replace the yellow front fender and bellypan with something... and I was thinking of going with the carbon fiber bits on ebay. They are relatively inexpensive (around $100/piece) from eastcarbon or MDI-Carbonfiber compared to American Sportbike and other more reputable suppliers. Despite that these ebay guys have stellar feedback, I often read up on posts talking about the crappiness of ebay carbon fiber. And despite that the auction claims that they are UV-protected and use epoxy resin rather than polyester resin, there is no real way to verify that they are telling the truth. Does anybody have real-world experience with these ebay carbon fiber products? Do they chip and fade within months, or maybe look cheap and chinsy from day one? Is there a way to give them additional protection (i.e. clearcoat) before I install them to make sure to get the most use from them, and avoid coughing up the extra dough for the really proven stuff?

Please advise! Thanks.

rndrkeagle
12-22-2009, 12:15 AM
I haven't had any first hand experience with them myself but in the process of doing similar research on the various CF resellers on Ebay out of asia, I learned that they are subject to various issues. From delaminating, to yellowing, to the finish oxidizing prematurely. you save a little money on them up front and in the end you'll be replacing them within a couple years becuase of poor quality.

JOEL9
12-22-2009, 12:45 AM
i got the "cheap" carbon fiber off ebay, from eastcarbon. i have purchased a front fender, chin fairing, oil cooler scoop, belt guards, rear fender & front pulley cover. they are a little thinner than the expensive stuff but i have had no problems with it. no fading, cracking, de-laminating etc. every part i got fit like stock.(i'm not cheap by any means, but $300.00+ dollars for a chin fairing from a reputable supplier is way too much for me.) http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2621_20091015230717_L.jpg

jmcrutch
12-22-2009, 03:12 AM
Wow Joel, I want my bike to look just like yours. That looks great, and thanks for the advice! I just got the front fender, chin fairing, and right intake scoop.

Also, I'm considering getting the carbon fiber Jardine exhaust. If I were to install this without retuning the chip, would I expect to see any issues with the bike running?

BuddhaBuell
12-22-2009, 03:49 AM
Wow Joel, I want my bike to look just like yours.

jm, I wholeheartedly understand how you appreciate the looks of other bikes and want yours to look like certain others, (several people on here have rides that make me buelldrool like theres no tmora....lol)

but in my humble opinion your bike should be as unique and as much a part of you as you are of him/her....
that is yet another one of the truely remarkable things aboot Buellers, altho we have a passion for Buell we really like being different from everybody else...
peace, keep the rubber side down
Buddha
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/5248_20091129102415_L.jpg
:)

JOEL9
12-22-2009, 04:02 AM
is that bra carbon fiber too! once again buellchick, well done[up]

jmcrutch
12-22-2009, 05:16 AM
Hey Buddha,
Having something different is what made me want to get a Buell in the first place, so I'm definitely with you on what you said. I already had in mind what I wanted to make it look like, and then BAM... Joel posts a picture of nearly exactly what I was picturing, so I figured I would pay him compliments on his proper taste.

rndrkeagle
12-22-2009, 05:36 AM
Buellchick brings a new definition to Heel Guard!

JOEL9
12-22-2009, 06:27 AM
i make my buell my own a few different ways. blue, black or white[up] http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2621_20091222002042_L.jpg http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2621_20091205234852_L.jpg

GSXdoubleR88ciNINJA
12-22-2009, 05:05 PM
I've got some parts from MDI and EastCarbon. Finish is great. Parts are very light weight, glad they are not structural. I'd not recommend any weight bearing parts. The fit on my LH air scoop needed some cutting and drilling to even fit. They said all the air scoops where same mold.

They look great for cheap. Expect some fitting. Ya get what ya pay for. No way I'd pay over $1000 for the nice factory pieces. Again, you get what ya pay for. Custom is the way to go.

ghost96b69
12-22-2009, 09:50 PM
I bought the carbon fiber belly pan on e-bay from mdi-carbon fiber - the carbon fiber is heavy quality and nicely finished. I did have to dremel around some air lines and the oil filter so it would fit perfectly but other than that, it was perfect. I plan on buying from them again for all of the plastic bike parts. [up]

misternikko
10-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Def going eastcarbon. like their stuff and the feedback i have read from fellow buellers is great.

Does anyone know where buellchick got her extended CF flyscreen?