PDA

View Full Version : New Guy

tocino
12-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Hello all,
just "ordered" an 09 XB12X (via eBay auction). It's from a dealership and the service guy ran "all the bulletins" on it, so it's got the ECU reprog for the fan issue. I'll wait to see about the rear wheel bearing.
So here's the question I'm sure people have posted a million times: do I get the extended warranty? The current one expires in 7 months. Dealer says he'll do another 2 years for 899 or 3 for 1099, which is an awful lot.
I turn to you, the experts, for your recommendations / experience.
thanks.
Oh, and it's "Barricade Orange" :)

dave_xb12r
12-22-2009, 06:17 PM
Congrats on the new bike! Welcome to the family! Is the bike new or used?

tocino
12-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks.
It's used - has 1400 miles on it. I'm guessing it was a demo bike or maybe a journalist-demo bike as they got it from Buell directly (i.e. it wasn't a trade-in at their shop)
I'm stoked - I test rode one years ago (10?) at a track day at BlackHawk Farms in Illinois and really liked it - was impressed with the handling - but never pulled the trigger. They were offering this at such a good price I went for it.

dave_xb12r
12-22-2009, 06:39 PM
That's strange. Normally demo bikes' warranties start when you buy the bike. I would make them throw in the 2 year for free. Sounds bogus.

tocino
12-22-2009, 08:15 PM
It wasn't sold as a demo, it was sold as a used bike so the orig warranty applies. It was my guess it was some kind of demo bike at Buell - it was not advertised not sold that way.
So should I get an extended warranty?

dave_xb12r
12-22-2009, 08:33 PM
I would buy it just to have the peace of mind that if something was to break or go wrong, it's covered. I've only had to have my clutch cable clamped and the clutch cable replaced. One member on here has had his tranny replaced( he rides his bike hard). If you are handy and like doing things yourself, maybe you don't need it. But if you like having professionals fix it, I think it's worth it.

Stevenc150
12-23-2009, 02:39 AM
Awesome to have you on the Board tocino!
Be sure and post up pics of you and your ride when you get it. Take care and ride safe. [up]

Edit:

Dealer says he'll do another 2 years for 899 or 3 for 1099, which is an awful lot.This is just me, but I wouldn't get it. I figure I'd DIY mostly & make a couple trips to the stealership for $900 - $1000.