PDA

View Full Version : OH NOOOOO!!!! Help!!

triple7
12-29-2009, 02:47 AM
Hey fellow Buellers, I think I just messed up. I have a new 08 1125R. I love it and have 400 miles on it now. I live in Montana and its cold and snowy, so I have it in storage. Because of Christmas and all I didn't make it over to start it up for a while. Well, when I finally did the battery was to low to start it. I hauled it to a warm place and charged the battery while it was still attatched to the bike for 20 min. I turned the key and as soon as I touched the starter I heard a pop and all the lights on my dash went out. The charger cables were still attatched but the charger was off. I took the cables off and then turned the key off then on again and all the lights came back on. The bike started but my dash clock went to 12:00 and my avg mpg was erased. The odometer still says 400. Now when I rev it up at about 4000 rpm the rpm needle lights up. Also It wont let me reset the clock. I hold the toggle and mode down but it wont go to setup mode. I checked the fuses and they are all good. I'm worried I did something bad like mess my flashes up or something. Can someone please help? Thanks

rndrkeagle
12-29-2009, 02:55 AM
first thing I would do is completely disconnect the battery... let it sit for a couple mins... and reconnect it and see what it does...

triple7
12-29-2009, 02:59 AM
The reason I didn't disconnect it in the first place was because after reading all the forums about the problems people were having with the instrament pod I was afraid to mess with it. It will be o-k for me to do so?

07Bolt
12-29-2009, 03:20 AM
check ur starter switch for anything abnormal. the Firebolts ECM has the ground wire somewhat connected to the starter switch somehow and the IGN

triple7
12-29-2009, 03:31 AM
I disconnected then reconnected the battery. It worked. Now I can set the clock. But the odometer needle still turns red at 5000 rpm. The instrament cluster has red paint on it at 10500. Isnt that red line? Does that change after the first service?

07Bolt
12-29-2009, 03:34 AM
yeah redline,,,

07Bolt
12-29-2009, 03:40 AM
the 1st service is based on mileage. granted u put 1k on it in a year or month or week. the break in period is for gaskets; o-rings; bearings; bolts; races; and stuff to settle in and function properly. redline is the max revolutions for ur engine to spin and keep spinning until u spin a bearing or something.

BuellPartsGuy
12-29-2009, 03:22 PM
triple7, I understand what you are asking and yes the needle will stop turning red a such a low rpm when it breaks in and the engine temp is up.

triple7
12-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Thank you very much! So its o-k, disconnecting the battery wont mess up flashes or computer updates or anything like that?

taylor
12-29-2009, 06:12 PM
if im reading this right you might just need to let it warm up. my v rod wont rit it max red line until it warm.

Builtdesign
12-29-2009, 07:03 PM
I would discourage starting it up unless you are to ride it. And especially don't rev it up before the engine is completely warmed up. You can risk engine problems from blow-by by doing this. That's why the needle is turning red, its a warning.
If you're occasionally starting up the engine to keep the batt charged just get a batt tender. I'm not sure why you would start her up otherwise??

triple7
12-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Because up here in Montana where its cold and snowy and crappy most of the winter, its bad just to let your machinery like cars, trucks, tractors, bikes, ect, just sit for months on end. So we go out and start them, let them warm up, charge the battery, run fresh fuel through the carb to keep them from gumming up. And ya know, sometimes I just like to hear my bike run and sit on it and dream of the day when the temp will come up enough to melt the freakin snow so I can enjoy the wonderfully cool toy I just got o-k!

NookieMonster
12-29-2009, 11:07 PM
It is fine to start up and just let run but be sure to let it get to operating temp so the ECU will switch modes. If not all the fuel that gets dumped in on a cold start will eventually foul plugs and the 02 sensor prematurely.

Builtdesign
12-29-2009, 11:11 PM
I completely understand. Rebuilding my top-end has led me to other issues and while my buddies are out riding [mad] I've been spending what little time I can make to fixing her all up...Which ends up usually being less than an hour every couple days with work and school. Almost been two (tantalizing) months of no riding in the perfect riding conditions here.
Check out this link
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/winterize.htm
(This guy is one of my instructors at MMI.)

NookieMonster
12-30-2009, 10:29 AM
I live in MO and have lived here my whole life(only 23) and never winterized a single bike of mine. Always had dirtbikes until I got the Buell but I ride in the winter a bit. I have rode my bike when it was 25* outside without the windchill. If you can get them out and ride them even(even if cold outside) a couple times a month is better than "winterizing" and not riding it imo.